The N Word

Black people are allowed to use the N word, white people are not.
"Allowed?" By whom?

And while we're at it, what exactly does the word, n!gger, mean?
Society my friend....society

The word is meant to degrade a race of humans, instil second class status, demean and insult
Again, what exactly does the word, "n!gger," mean? I'm asking for its specific meaning, its definition, not its presumed purpose.
Here's what came up on a google search: a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person. Then here's the definition of contemptuous: showing contempt; scornful.

Both clearly show that the definition and its use are to show contempt for dark-skinned people. Our country has a history of showing contempt for dark-skinned people and unfortunately, many individuals still do.

Yes, I hear it all the time.

"Paisan" is not even derogatory, I think it means "fellow countryman". Kinda like when my friends call me cracker. :coffee:

Well I've never heard it, not once, but I do hear the N word all the time.

It's usually only used by Italian men. I've never heard an Italian woman say it. Ever..hmm..and I do mean ever.
May be something to that. :dunno:

I'm talking about going about your normal daily routine, listening to the radio, small casual talk, hearing other people talking. I don't hear white people regularly calling each other "cracker" or any other such racist terms. I DO hear black people calling each other "*******." I hear it on the radio, I hear it on TV, I read it/hear it on the internet, I hear it directly out of their mouths.

Probably because you don't live where there's a bunch of crackers. :coffee:

I do. I live in a small city in Massachusetts.

Which one?

Here's what came up on a google search: a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person. Then here's the definition of contemptuous: showing contempt; scornful.

Both clearly show that the definition and its use are to show contempt for dark-skinned people. Our country has a history of showing contempt for dark-skinned people and unfortunately, many individuals still do.
Here is what my Merriam Webster has to say:

1 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a black person.

2 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race.

3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's ******* . . . all the people who feel left out of the political process — Ron Dellums>

What we see above, as is seen in the vast majority of standard and advanced dictionaries, consists mainly of vague and loosely opinion-based reportage rather than any etymological root origin of this common but controversial word.

2 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race.

3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's ******* . . . all the people who feel left out of the political process — Ron Dellums>

What we see above, as is seen in the vast majority of standard and advanced dictionaries, consists mainly of vague and loosely opinion-based reportage rather than any etymological root origin of this common but controversial word.

And why are we really having this discussion? We all know what the word means. There is no positive connotation to it. Why do you white people have trouble recognizing this? I'm going to tell you that it's not word whites should practice saying to people of color. Nobody here has start a thread questioning any derogatory word used for whites and we don't ask all these stupid ass questions about why we can't use them. We just don't use them. Why is it that you whites can't do the same mother fucking thing?

In light of the recent incident involving LeBron James, I would like to share some portions of Michael Eric Dyson’s book, “Tears We Cannot Stop,” and also add some words from my own book.

“N*****. Admit it, beloved, that word – that abomination – is still with us. Yes, it’s ugly. Yes, it’s full of hate. And yet, a lot of you, or at least a lot of the folk you know, still think of black folk as n******. I remember the first time I heard the white world call me “n*****.” I say white world because it was not an individual man saying that to me, mind you, even though the words came from his mouth. This man was simply repeating what he had been told about me. I was every black person he’d ever met. We were all the same. That’s what n***** meant. That’s what it still means.”

“And please don’t make a silly false equivalence between us. Some of you claim that black folk are racists too when they use epithets like honky, redneck, cracker, ofay, gray boy and the like. That you know that’s a lie. N***** has no rival. There is no rough or refined equivalence between the term and the many derisive references to white folks. Those terms don’t evoke singularly gruesome actions. N***** is unique because the menace implies is portable; it shows up wherever a white tongue is willing to suggest intimidation and destruction. There are no examples of black folk killing white folk en masse; terrorizing them with racial violence; shouting “cracker” as they lynch them from trees and then selling postcards to document their colossal crimes. Black folk have not enjoyed the protection of the state to carry out such misdeeds.”

“The state, in fact, rendered black folk even more vulnerable. White racism was the government’s science project; bigotry was its nightly homework. Evil flashed in a white face in a terrorizing crackerocracy, an exuberantly diabolic band of proud haters of black culture composed of the Klan, the White Citizens Council, neo-Confederate outfits, white nationalist groups, and the legions of unaffiliated fellow travelers. Their mottoes differed, but N***** is the rallying cry for all of them. We must effectively respond in our day to the ugly persistence of racism, even if its form has changed.”

The following words are from a letter I personally received from a young black girl named Jean. She really opened my eyes to how the use of the n***** word can have a devastating effect:

“Dee, the other day I was on a bus and a little white boy spat at me and called me a n*****. Tears came to my eyes. Why must I be called a n*****? I remember the day I Iooked up that word in the dictionary and it said it meant ignorant. I know I’m not ignorant. But if you look up that word in the revised edition it means, Black Americans, Negroes. Why? The walls of anger are getting stronger. I’m tired of trying to love those people. I’m tired of trying to get their education. Dee, as I write this letter I’m in tears. Because I’m writing to you knowing you don’t understand. Getting angry at myself. Hating myself because I’m turning away from God. It’s like I’m second best to him. Hey, wait a minute, those white people are first. Praying to him, wanting him to answer my prayers. Wondering does God love white people more than us. We been the white man’s slaves. Most of our women been their whores. Did God look down on us? Dee, the only desire I have is to die. You know, the first child I have I’m going to name him N***** so he won’t have to learn the hurt I have. He’ll think he’s famous The wall that I have is getting stronger. It’s going to take a miracle. But will your God even help? My mind I going through some changes it wouldn’t have to if white people would leave me alone. I need prayer. Pray for my attitude. The hatred, the pain, the discomfort, the unlovable soul that I have. Maybe God will help then. He’ll listen to you – you’re white!”

I grew up in Missouri and I can not, to this day, remember anything positive being said about black people. I was taught they were dirty, lazy, oversexed and violent. I was told to stay away from them, not to associate with them at all. I heard them called N***** all the time and heard my family say, "They want everything handed to them on a silver platter." This was what was put into my head. And it pretty much stayed there until I met a black man who contradicted every single one of those stereotypes. Thank God I met Henry and since then, the many, many positive black folks who opened my eyes and heart to the truth. I look at things this way. We either recognize racism and the use of the N word for what they are and try to combat them - or we don't. I choose to try.

Delores you have a good heart. You are a good and decent person. But I wish you had not started this thread trying to get these fucked up deplorables to understand how it feels to have that word said. They are not ever going to understand. All they want to do is freely use the word and freely practice their fucked up racism.

And why are we really having this discussion? We all know what the word means. There is no positive connotation to it. Why do you white people have trouble recognizing this? I'm going to tell you that it's not word whites should practice saying to people of color. Nobody here has start a thread questioning any derogatory word used for whites and we don't ask all these stupid ass questions about why we can't use them. We just don't use them. Why is it that you whites can't do the same mother fucking thing?

I never hear white people say the N word. Only black people say it to each other.

Well I've never heard it, not once, but I do hear the N word all the time.

It's usually only used by Italian men. I've never heard an Italian woman say it. Ever..hmm..and I do mean ever.
May be something to that. :dunno:

I'm talking about going about your normal daily routine, listening to the radio, small casual talk, hearing other people talking. I don't hear white people regularly calling each other "cracker" or any other such racist terms. I DO hear black people calling each other "*******." I hear it on the radio, I hear it on TV, I read it/hear it on the internet, I hear it directly out of their mouths.

Probably because you don't live where there's a bunch of crackers. :coffee:

I do. I live in a small city in Massachusetts.

Which one?

You don't think I'm going to announce where I live, do you?

Oh wait, I take that back. There are some white teens that say it to each other too. They imagine it is "cool" to be a gansta, while they are middle class or rich suburban kids. :rolleyes: I used to know a kid who called all his friends "*******" and dressed like Tupac.

I never hear white people say the N word. Only black people say it to each other.

Yeah I know. And that's why you are all in here debating about using a word you never use. Who in the hell do you think you are talking to? Tell that lie to your kids.

Oh wait, I take that back. There are some white teens that say it to each other too. They imagine it is "cool" to be a gansta, while they are middle class or rich suburban kids. :rolleyes: I used to know a kid who called all his friends "*******" and dressed like Tupac.

Stop lying OK?

Yeah I know. And that's why you are all in here debating about using a word you never use. Who in the hell do you think you are talking to? Tell that lie to your kids.
I call you all n1ggers all the time around my house, I wouldn't say it in public, because only n1ggers are allowed to use that word in public.

I call you all n1ggers all the time around my house, I wouldn't say it in public, because only n1ggers are allowed to use that word in public.

Btw, why do you n1ggers call us white peeps "cracker"? Does that mean anything?

Where do you go that you hear white people using that term? You must live in a ghetto or something.

Just like you, what I'm interpreting from all of this is just one underlying question that they are asking:

"You all use the word towards each other, so why are you bothered by us using it"?

Speaking for myself, I do not associate with anyone who uses that term, nor do I allow it in my household. And truthfully, no one in my circle of friends allows it either. So at best I think it is an exaggeration when some here say they hear it "daily".

Just like you, what I'm interpreting from all of this is just one underlying question that they are asking:

"You all use the word towards each other, so why are you bothered by us using it"?

Speaking for myself, I do not associate with anyone who uses that term, nor do I allow it in my household. And truthfully, no one in my circle of friends allows it either. So at best I think it is an exaggeration when some here say they hear it "daily".
So you’re a pacified n1gger, that’s the best kind. :biggrin:

When I determine what "kind" of dunce you are, I will get back to you.

My guess is that you speak that way from the safety of your home to avoid getting your "pink" ass beaten to a "dark blue" pulp.

Forum List

Back