The only people who continue to promote wind/solar are those who are ignorant of basic physics. Only nuclear can produce the levels of energy we need

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Witness this potential grant money sucking boondoggle.....I was amazed that it's even a thing at all.

The pressure required along with the size of the storage facility is ridiculous. I'd love to see these retards find a salt mine that wouldn't leak like a sieve if you pumped air in it under enough pressure to spin large turbines to make substantial power for literally hours.

And there just isn't some huge unused reserve capacity anymore to use to run gigantic electric hog air compressors for hours on end to try to fill huge caverns.

Water works because of weight, gravity, and it's ease of movement. Air...............So yeah, good luck with all that.

Someone or some company that is a failure wants .gov grant dollars.

Solution:

Why bother with all this insignificant nonsense and just instead focus on nuclear power. It's the only source of non-fossil fuel energy that can, hands down, meet the needs of the world.

New technology reactors can be very safe, and they can be installed close to the sites that need the power (like data centers) since their footprint is very small.

No ugly/costly cross-country transmission lines required. And the latest small modular reactors that are now coming will be VERY small, easy to install where needed. And very safe, no pressure vessel etc.

Witness this potential grant money sucking boondoggle.....I was amazed that it's even a thing at all.

The pressure required along with the size of the storage facility is ridiculous. I'd love to see these retards find a salt mine that wouldn't leak like a sieve if you pumped air in it under enough pressure to spin large turbines to make substantial power for literally hours.

And there just isn't some huge unused reserve capacity anymore to use to run gigantic electric hog air compressors for hours on end to try to fill huge caverns.

Water works because of weight, gravity, and it's ease of movement. Air...............So yeah, good luck with all that.

Solution:

Why bother with all this insignificant nonsense and just instead focus on nuclear power. It's the only source of non-fossil fuel energy that can, hands down, meet the needs of the world.

New technology reactors can be very safe, and they can be installed close to the sites that need the power (like data centers) since their footprint is very small.

No ugly/costly cross-country transmission lines required. And the latest small modular reactors that are now coming will be VERY small, easy to install where needed. And very safe, no pressure vessel etc.

Every new technology looks like a "boondoggle" at first.

Few (if any) persons ever suggested air or solar could replace all other forms of energy generation. The OP is apparently too busy patrolling his AO (lol) to know what he is talking about.

As far as it goes, nuclear is a great idea with certain limitations. The navy has been using nuclear ships for what--70 years now? Pretty much without a major incident. Let the utilities build some plants with the stipulation that the Navy will run them.. Let the navy run them. ConEd or PG&E pay a fee to the navy to run the plant. They charge their customers for the energy. The public gets a dependable power supply and a plant run by professionals. They don’t have to worry too much about the plants being run shoddily; nobody gets their job because they know someone who works there. The utility doesn’t have to worry about compliance issues since they don’t run the plant. The utility essentially becomes a dealer for the power.

Solution:

Why does your OP not actually discuss the topics mentioned in the thread's title? Where is your "basic physics" showing wind and solar incapable of meeting our demand?

Those familiar with the history of U.S. commercial nuclear power understand that the regulatory framework for nuclear plant construction and operation have made it economically not viable. It can only even be countenanced in states where utilities are "regulated," thus giving the investing utility some economic protection against raging regulators who would impede, prolong, and expense-ify the construction beyond all rational anticipation.

Plants coming into service now have had to endure decades-long PERMITTING adventures, as well as countless construction impediments and delays which caused costs to skyrocket to levels beyond belief. Why would ANYONE even consider building another plant in this environment - despite the NRC's promises to be rational in the future?

The only tenable approach these days is "small" modular reactors that can be produced under virtual laboratory conditions, then trucked to the desired site, with multiple units serving populations over about ten thousand users.

Alternatively, the Feds could conceivably backstop construction of new plants, guaranteeing the utilities and rate-payers that they will not have to mortgage themselves to perdition as the plants move forward. The technical problem here is that technology has moved forward, and any plant built today will necessarily be a first-of-its-kind, which itself will make hundreds of "field change orders" inevitable, at astronomical expense.

It is easy to forget, is it not, that in the entire history of U.S. commercial nuclear power dating back to about 1953, there has not been a single radiation-based death at a nuclear plant, or if we want to be thorough, not even a single case of radiation-based illness. And fear of radiation is basically what fuels our safety neurosis w/r/t Nuke Power.

It would be a good start if some President would get off its ass and start the process of moving spent fuel to WIPP in New Mexico, for permanent storage - or Yucca Mountain, if it be a Republican. We, the American People are too frightened even to consider this totally harmless and risk-free measure, for fear of some fucking mayor of a podunk town filing suit to prevent the trucks from driving through his little hamlet.

I have seen the enemy and it is us.

Solution:

You could also include hydro, as long as properly located.

Maybe geothermal when taken from large stable magma formations?

It is easy to forget, is it not, that in the entire history of U.S. commercial nuclear power dating back to about 1953, there has not been a single radiation-based death at a nuclear plant, or if we want to be thorough, not even a single case of radiation-based illness. And fear of radiation is basically what fuels our safety neurosis w/r/t Nuke Power.
I support nuclear power but I have to point out an exception to this comment. Three or four people died from a steam explosion at the SL-1 prototype facility including a supervisor famously pinned to the celing by a control rod. Others involved in recovering and dealing with bodies and clean up experienced high radiation doses (despite extensive efforts to minimize exposure) and several suffered cancers later in life that were likely, but not definitively, connected to that exposure.

I support nuclear power but I have to point out an exception to this comment. Three or four people died from a steam explosion at the SL-1 prototype facility including a supervisor famously pinned to the celing by a control rod. Others involved in recovering and dealing with bodies and clean up experienced high radiation doses (despite extensive efforts to minimize exposure) and several suffered cancers later in life that were likely, but not definitively, connected to that exposure.
SL-1 prototype? Is that "commercial nuclear power"? I think not. Sounds bad though.

Forum List

Back