The pension hole for US cities and states is the size of Japan's economy

It's not quite that simple.

It is true that some politicians have conspired with unions to grant benefits that are unrealistic. There is no doubt about that. It is also true that some pensioners have gamed the system that allowed them to earn over-inflated pension benefits.

However, it is also true that rather than fund pension obligations as promised, politicians also cut taxes during good times and reduced contributions to pension plans when the stock market was generating high returns. Politicians could grandstand that they were cutting taxes and saying that the stock market's high gains would go on forever. But when the stock market tanked, the pension plans became underfunded, which wouldn't have happened, or happened to the same extent, had the politicians kept funding pensions and not cut taxes.

The particular states mentioned in this article don't cut taxes. They consistently raise them over the years.
True but the major problem with that is ever faster loss of tax base.
Which occurs through stagnant middle class wages and tax cuts for the top 1% and corporations.

And this right here is the problem. Public employees unions make unrealistic demands and corrupt politicians makes promises they know can't be kept in order to get their endorsement and get elected. I saw it time and time again when I was still living in Boston. Whoever got the union backing usually one and so, of course, they were willing to give the union pretty much whatever they wanted. It didn't matter how unrealistic it may have been. By the time the shit hit the fan it would be someone else's problem.

When times were flush, politicians made overly generous promises. Public-employee unions made unrealistic demands. High-profile municipal employees, such as coaches at public universities, have drawn fire for what some consider too-rich retirement benefits, while some first responders scored rich early retirement and disability arrangements.

Public employees take reduced salaries in exchange for benefits packages.

That you spout nonsense is the problem
Public employees do not work for a living they get a free ride
not were i worked....

Haha...yeah, mail carriers really bust their balls. They’re such badasses....and the most pissed off people on the planet. NONE have people skills.

Look who’s talking...

A weak little girl like you wouldn’t last a day as a letter carrier.

And this right here is the problem. Public employees unions make unrealistic demands and corrupt politicians makes promises they know can't be kept in order to get their endorsement and get elected. I saw it time and time again when I was still living in Boston. Whoever got the union backing usually one and so, of course, they were willing to give the union pretty much whatever they wanted. It didn't matter how unrealistic it may have been. By the time the shit hit the fan it would be someone else's problem.

When times were flush, politicians made overly generous promises. Public-employee unions made unrealistic demands. High-profile municipal employees, such as coaches at public universities, have drawn fire for what some consider too-rich retirement benefits, while some first responders scored rich early retirement and disability arrangements.

not were i worked....
Safe Pussy Job

Do you work as a lion tamer?

not were i worked....

Haha...yeah, mail carriers really bust their balls. They’re such badasses....and the most pissed off people on the planet. NONE have people skills.
you would last a week before you quit....and the first rain you would call in sick...big mouth people like you are the ones that used to give us plenty of laughs...."how hard could this job be?"....a week later,hey what happened to that guy that thought this was such an easy job?...but then you are a loser...
Yeah...sitting in a truck stuffing boxes is so HARRRRRRRRRD!

Give it a try before you mouth off.

Drive 100', stuff box. Drive 100', stuff box. Repeat 100x. It ain't hard, pisshead.

The particular states mentioned in this article don't cut taxes. They consistently raise them over the years.

Yes, that's correct. But they aren't the only states that are in trouble.

Other states not mentioned in that article cut taxes and pension contributions in the 1990s.

Many states also simply cut contributions and redirected the money elsewhere. Republican states did that, too.

not were i worked....

Look who’s talking...

first rain he would call in sick....

Drive 100', stuff box. Drive 100', stuff box. Repeat 100x. It ain't hard, pisshead.
how about a walking route?....you would run and scream like a little girl first dog that comes at you....you people who talk out of your ass are something else...

not were i worked....

Look who’s talking...

first rain he would call in sick....

He would call in with PMS, then try to get on disability.

how about a walking route?....you would run and scream like a little girl first dog that comes at you....you people who talk out of your ass are something else...
Between a bad back, bad knees, and an increasingly-bad hip, I couldn't do a walking route. Of course (yet again), there aren't any here, the carrier never gets out of the truck.

I have no problem with dogs, stop projecting your own faults on others.

Between a bad back, bad knees, and an increasingly-bad hip, I couldn't do a walking route. ....

But you still manage to shoot off your big fucking mouth.

They take reduced salaries, because they do half the work of the private sector ,and teachers work 9 months but want the pay of 12 months ,the majority are worthless leeches, just go to the DMV.

Between a bad back, bad knees, and an increasingly-bad hip, I couldn't do a walking route. Of course (yet again), there aren't any here, the carrier never gets out of the truck.
.many carriers who have walking routes start experiencing at least one those things after about 20 years of carrying....sometimes more than one...
I have no problem with dogs, stop projecting your own faults on others
thats because you have never had a pitbull or a rottweiler come at you.....try it sometimes,its a real Adrenalin rush....one of the reasons many new people quit after their first or second time.....and those that get bit have a whole new attitude about those nice little pets....

.many carriers who have walking routes start experiencing at least one those things after about 20 years of carrying....sometimes more than one...
thats because you have never had a pitbull or a rottweiler come at you.....try it sometimes,its a real Adrenalin rush....one of the reasons many new people quit after their first or second time.....and those that get bit have a whole new attitude about those nice little pets....
Yeah, actually, I have. Still have a faint scar from it, 30 years later. Stop projecting your faults on others.

Yeah, actually, I have. Still have a faint scar from it, 30 years later. Stop projecting your faults on others.
wow one time 30 years ago and a faint scar.....try having it happen once or twice a week for 30 years.....you are like so many other blowhards that tell their stories....in the PO we have pictures that prove we have been attacked some bad enough they are hospitalized for weeks.....you are starting to make me laugh axle....

wow one time 30 years ago and a faint scar.....try having it happen once or twice a week for 30 years.....you are like so many other blowhards that tell their stories....in the PO we have pictures that prove we have been attacked some bad enough they are hospitalized for weeks.....you are starting to make me laugh axle....

And then you retire on a fat disability claim for the rest of your life. I only needed 14 stitches, as I recall.

Forum List

Back