The ranchers in Oregon are actually victims of malicious prosecution by the feds….they have a case..

so they didn't burn federal lands?
I know 3 people in my neighborhood that accidentally burned federal land, and it was thousands of acres, not a hundred; and not one of em went to prison.
... but then, the blm around here didn't have a secret agenda to take their land either.

Its not their land.

They're welfare ranchers. They already get tax subsidies but they want tax payers to pay their entire grazing bill.

As for the Hammonds, they confessed and were convicted of arson. Why should they get a walk?

They burned back brush which is what the BLM has done many times which has bled over into those that actually OWN their property...you are a blithering idiot....seriously. Fuck the federal "gubermint". I hate and despise them with a fervor that can't be measured on any scale.
The ranchers had their own family and friends testifying that they started the fires to cover up illegal deer poaching. They swore it under oath. It was county residents, their "peers" that brought in a guilty verdict.

When they win their wrongful imprisonment case, how much do you think they will get in damages? $1,000,000 each? $2,000,000 each?
They were tried and convicted. There is no wrongful imprisonment

Their sentence was changed after they served the original term.
and? the original sentence was voided. it was illegal. surely you don't support judicial activism like ignoring mandatory minimum sentences enacted by congress, do you?

When they win their wrongful imprisonment case, how much do you think they will get in damages? $1,000,000 each? $2,000,000 each?

and? the original sentence was voided. it was illegal. surely you don't support judicial activism like ignoring mandatory minimum sentences enacted by congress, do you?

Were they convicted? My understanding it was a plea bargain for that sentence.

convicted.

I know 3 people in my neighborhood that accidentally burned federal land, and it was thousands of acres, not a hundred; and not one of em went to prison.
... but then, the blm around here didn't have a secret agenda to take their land either.
They should have....and they should have paid all costs for fire suppression.

convicted.

The conviction came with terms the government agreed to.

plus it's a stupid argument. if i get pulled over for speeding i don't get to use that other cars were speeding and not pulled over as a defense.

because others escaped punishment is not an excuse for breaking the law.

convicted.

The conviction came with terms the government agreed to.
you're going to need to back that up. because the conviction came from the jury. they were guilty on the arson charge which carried a minimum sentence.

plus it's a stupid argument. if i get pulled over for speeding i don't get to use that other cars were speeding and not pulled over as a defense.

assuming his story is even true............

Speeding your wife to the hospital is usually given a pass. The ranchers were using typically accepted burning practices, granted they should have gotten a permit.

Speeding your wife to the hospital is usually given a pass. The ranchers were using typically accepted burning practices, granted they should have gotten a permit.
It's typically accepted to burn federal land to cover up poaching?

prosecutor's discretion comes into play for a lot of crimes - but if i'm not let off the hook for speeding if i'm taking my pregnant wife to the hospital then i don't get to use a different fee schedule. that punishment is mandated.

prosecutor's discretion comes into play for a lot of crimes - but if i'm not let off the hook for speeding if i'm taking my pregnant wife to the hospital then i don't get to use a different fee schedule. that punishment is mandated.

What poaching charge?

What poaching charge?
they burned the ground to cover up the evidence. that's the sworn testimony of friends and relatives.

There were no poaching charges. The judge and jury and the original prosecutor agreed there was zero intent to damage property.

Kinda like the thousands that burn and loot US cities. And never see the inside if a jail cell?

What poaching charge?
they burned the ground to cover up the evidence. that's the sworn testimony of friends and relatives.
No, it's not.

Forum List

Back