The Religion of Atheism

Atheism is a religion as much as abstinence is a sexual position.

Atheist are zealots as much as anyone claiming absolutes

So recognising a fact or the lack of a fact makes someone a zealot?

zealot - definition of zealot by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"zealot [ˈzɛlət]
n
an immoderate, fanatical, or extremely zealous adherent to a cause, esp a religious one"

Is the medical community a pack of "zealots" for commiting the mentally insane into institutions for not buying into the patients delusions?

I make no apology for trying to rid my world of the disease of religion. As long as people of religion insist on poluting the minds of the public with thier nonsense it is the duty of intelligent people to beat back the noise with resistance.

Most atheists probably wouldn't claim absolutes in the way you are thinking. We don't think God is an impossibility, we just don't currently believe that God exists due to lack of evidence. It is always dangerous of course to generalize, but I'll do it here for the sake of correcting a common misunderstanding concerning general mainstream atheism.

There are plenty of things that people might not believe in like aliens, ghosts, mythological creatures, etc. Just because you don't believe that they exist doesn't mean that you would be closed off to believing in their existence (or shouldn't be at least) should adequate evidence of said existence becomes available.

It's the same methodology that we all utilize to one extent or another only applied to religion.
Correct. You can count me in as another one of the lack of evidence category. There is a rather large difference in atheists and those that are atheist anti-theists. One is religiously against God and the other simply accepts the fact that there is a glaring lack of evidence and is unwilling to believe in something that lacks that evidence.

So recognising a fact or the lack of a fact makes someone a zealot?

zealot - definition of zealot by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"zealot [ˈzɛlət]
n
an immoderate, fanatical, or extremely zealous adherent to a cause, esp a religious one"

Is the medical community a pack of "zealots" for commiting the mentally insane into institutions for not buying into the patients delusions?

I make no apology for trying to rid my world of the disease of religion. As long as people of religion insist on poluting the minds of the public with thier nonsense it is the duty of intelligent people to beat back the noise with resistance.

No, lack of faith does NOT make you a religious zealot. THIS makes you a zealot:

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Joseph Stalin, proud member of the Religion of Atheism, ordered the deaths of 40 million to 62 million people. Keep in mind that many of Stalin's victims were his own Soviet citizens.

SOURCE #1:
Author Robert Conquest in his appendix on casualty figures calculates that the number of Joseph Stalin executions from 1936 to 1938 was probably about 1,000,000. He then added that from 1936 to 1950 about 12,000,000 died in the camps and that 3,500,000 died in the 1930-1936 collectivization. Overal, he concludes:

"Thus we get a figure of 20 million dead, which is almost certainly too low and might require an increase of 50 percent or so, as the debit balance of the Stalin regime for twenty-three years." (Source: The Great Terror: Stalin's Purge of the Thirties (Macmillan 1968)

You and most if not all christians are idiots. The US Supreme Court ruled in 2009 that it is affirmed that "there shall be no religious test" regarding atheists rights. That is hardly the same thing as affirming that atheism is a religion. Did I mention that you are an idiot?
ALTER2EGO -to- HUGGY:
In its 1961 ruling in the case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Atheism is Religion under the First Amendment as well as the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution--from that day forward--as follows:

U.S. Supreme Court
TORCASO v. WATKINS, 367 U.S. 488 (1961)
367 U.S. 488
TORCASO v. WATKINS, CLERK.
APPEAL FROM THE COURT OF APPEALS OF MARYLAND.
No. 373.
Argued April 24, 1961.
Decided June 19, 1961.

Appellant was appointed by the Governor of Maryland to the office of Notary Public; but he was denied a commission because he would not declare his belief in God, as required by the Maryland Constitution. Claiming that this requirement violated his rights under the First and Fourteenth Amendments, he sued in a state court to compel issuance of his commission; but relief was denied. The State Court of Appeals affirmed, holding that the state constitutional provision is self-executing without need for implementing legislation and requires declaration of a belief in God as a qualification for office. Held: This Maryland test for public office cannot be enforced against appellant, because it unconstitutionally invades his freedom of belief and religion guaranteed by the First Amendment and protected by the Fourteenth Amendment from infringement by the States. Pp. 489-496.
223 Md. 49, 162 A. 2d 438, reversed.

[ Footnote 11 ]Among religions in this country which do not teach what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God are Buddhism, Taoism, Ethical Culture, Secular Humanism and others. See Washington Ethical Society v. District of Columbia, 101 U.S. App. D.C. 371, 249 F.2d 127; Fellowship of Humanity v. County of Alameda, 153 Cal. App. 2d 673, 315 P.2d 394; II Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences 293; 4 Encyclopaedia Britannica (1957 ed.) 325-327; 21 id., at 797; Archer, Faiths Men Live By (2d ed. revised by Purinton), 120-138, 254-313; 1961 World Almanac 695, 712; Year Book of American Churches for 1961, at 29, 47.
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

As soon as you can show me where that 1961 ruling was overturned in 2009, I will acknowledged that you are not confused after all. Meanwhile, go ahead and deny. See where that will get you. And if you think calling me an idiot will change reality, keep it up and you will land on my "Ignore" list.

Oh My... :lol:

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Joseph Stalin, proud member of the Religion of Atheism, ordered the deaths of 40 million to 62 million people. Keep in mind that many of Stalin's victims were his own Soviet citizens.

SOURCE #1:
Author Robert Conquest in his appendix on casualty figures calculates that the number of Joseph Stalin executions from 1936 to 1938 was probably about 1,000,000. He then added that from 1936 to 1950 about 12,000,000 died in the camps and that 3,500,000 died in the 1930-1936 collectivization. Overal, he concludes:

"Thus we get a figure of 20 million dead, which is almost certainly too low and might require an increase of 50 percent or so, as the debit balance of the Stalin regime for twenty-three years." (Source: The Great Terror: Stalin's Purge of the Thirties (Macmillan 1968)

You can only preach your stupidity as allowed by those that don't put YOU on thier ignore list idiot.

There is no god therefore religion is a fraud. Having a moral compass does not require a "membership". My conscience is my own. You completely fail in your ignorant rant.

NOW I will put YOU on my ignore list...you will be lonely there as I have no one else onn it.

Enjoy!

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

The Scopes Monkey Trial was in 1925. That case opened the way for Atheism to be classified as a religion. It was not until 1961 that the U.S. Supreme Court—the most important court in the land—cemented atheism as a religion in the case of Torcaso v. Watkins.

As you know, U.S. Supreme Court rulings become the law of the land. In its ruling, the 1961 court mentioned Secular Humanism, which as we all know is the default religious ideology of atheism. Specifically, the 1961 Supreme Court said the following, and keep your eyes on the words that I bolded in red at Footnote 11.

[ Footnote 11 ] Among religions in this country which do not teach what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God are Buddhism, Taoism, Ethical Culture, Secular Humanism and others. See Washington Ethical Society v. District of Columbia, 101 U.S. App. D.C. 371, 249 F.2d 127; Fellowship of Humanity v. County of Alameda, 153 Cal. App. 2d 673, 315 P.2d 394; II Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences 293; 4 Encyclopaedia Britannica (1957 ed.) 325-327; 21 id., at 797; Archer, Faiths Men Live By (2d ed. revised by Purinton), 120-138, 254-313; 1961 World Almanac 695, 712; Year Book of American Churches for 1961, at 29, 47.
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

When a person takes atheism from neutrality towards religon and makes it hostility towards religion, they become part of the equation.

It is similar to the argument over zero really being a number, or not.

Bogus logic Marty.

Believing or not believing you might commit murder, under the proper circumstance and provocation, does not disqualify one from being annoyed by people that do murder.

And in fact abstinence is a sexual position: and people who refuse to respect that are guilty of promoting rape and compelling prostitution.

Whether or not one person believes in God, or wishes to admit of the existence of God in any particular situation, is not for another person to promote or compel.

They cut too much hair straight from the pulpit in church on Sunday, and there's a barbershop quartet of choirboys.

Forum List

Back