Zone1 The term "Personal relationship with Jesus" is not in the Bible

Without Scripture to back your experiences you could lead me on a path of destruction. Jesus wants me to follow His Word, not religion.
Try following him instead of perusing printed words in a book that are not even in the language he spoke. Jesus takes you further. Nothing wrong with simply sitting and studying, either. However, the adventure lies beyond words in a book. Jesus acted. Those acts took him on the road to Calvary. Do you see that as the path of destruction?

Also consider that sitting and reading is a great part of religion.

It sounds like you're praying something very non-specific. Are you saying that Catholic prayers are coordinated and vague enough that Mary can join everyone in the world simultaneously to pray the same things they are praying?
I am saying that Mary praying with us and for us is no different than you praying for the world. You criticize Mary for what she is doing while likely patting yourself on the back for doing the same thing.

It's a critical point for Christians because we are taught that only Christ is divine, yet here they are ascribing divine characteristics to Mary, as if she had anything to do with what God accomplished through her.
No one is claiming that Mary is divine. Just free from sin to make her a fitting mother for his Son which was a common belief of the early Christians.

Try following him instead of perusing printed words in a book that are not even in the language he spoke. Jesus takes you further. Nothing wrong with simply sitting and studying, either. However, the adventure lies beyond words in a book. Jesus acted. Those acts took him on the road to Calvary. Do you see that as the path of destruction?

Also consider that sitting and reading is a great part of religion.
I don't desire or need religion.

I cannot find in Scripture where we are instructed to ask ANY of the departed to pray for us. In fact, that's contacting the dead and is abhorred by God.
I bet there are many things you don't find in scripture that you do and believe to be true.

1. Yes, I am indeed telling you Mary cannot and does not join in prayer with you, because she is an ordinary human being in the presence of God, enjoying face to face communion with Him, not listening to millions of people asking God for things. God is already intimately involved in everything that's going on, so why would she pray with you when God Himself is right there, fully capable of simultaneously dealing with every single prayer, ever group prayer, etc.? There is nothing in Scripture that would lead you to believe that she is. That's only Church tradition.
They why do you bother to pray for the world when as you say, "God is already intimately involved with everything that's going on."

Could you be arguing there is no need for prayer?

Then there is this........ yeah... no show boating here :D

Tim_Tebow_Tebowing.jpg

2. If you think she joins in prayer with those who ask, how does she decide who to pray with among the millions who pray every day? By what criteria do you think yours goes to the front of the list?
Ah. You believe I ask Mary to join me in prayer. I do not--or very rarely. I have mother issues. However, I do not have best friend and grandmother issues. I believe Jesus when he said that when two or more are gathered in his name, and when he reminded people that God is God of the living. I believe the Body of Christ includes all those living and all the living who have passed on. I acted on my faith in this belief with blessed results.

And my point is, at any given moment, there are hundreds of thousands, even millions, of people praying and asking Mary to pray for them, and they're not all praying for the same thing at the same time. If she is not divine, how does she handle that workload? Is there a list of the things that she will join you in praying for?
First, I doubt she sees it as work, but part of her service to God. Second, I doubt what she does she does it in the way you are imagining it.

Now, after all this, I have to ask you, what difference do you think it really makes to God if one more human joins in praying and what does He do with the millions of prayers asking Mary to pray go ignored?
I see you do not have a great regard for prayer and the power of prayer. I have that great regard because I have seen the power of prayer, both my solitary prayer and the prayer when others join in.

Are you saying that you only ask Mary to pray for generic things? If not, why do you think she's paying specific attention to you?
Why do you think she is paying specific attention to me? I simply pray that her own prayers be answered. I am even more concerned with praying for those who have passed on than I am in praying for myself.

The point being that they are not listening. From where do you get the idea that any of those who have passed on before us are listening to the prayers of people thousands of years descended from them? I want to know specifically where in Scripture that is.
Asked and answered several times. Where two or more are gathered...

yet here they are ascribing divine characteristics to Mary, as if she had anything to do with what God accomplished through her.
Excuse me. You are the one ascribing divine characteristics to Mary. No Catholic ever does and nor does any Catholic writing. So why are you ascribing divine characteristics to Mary?

I don't desire or need religion.
Got it. By definition, then, you have no set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional observances.

It appears you are an atheist who believes solely in evolution.

If you don't bother to go to church say you don't bother to go to church.

Got it. By definition, then, you have no set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional observances.

It appears you are an atheist who believes solely in evolution.

If you don't bother to go to church say you don't bother to go to church.
I am the church. I attend regular get togethers with believers, music with worship, prayer, testimonies, Bible teaching, coffee and donuts. Is that what you mean? Isn't your body the temple of the Holy Spirit?

I am the church. I attend regular get togethers with believers, music with worship, prayer, testimonies, Bible teaching, coffee and donuts. Is that what you mean? Isn't your body the temple of the Holy Spirit?
I don't play games with the word 'religion'. It pertains to God, and I embrace all that pertains to God. I don't place myself above the word "religion".

The term "Personal relationship with Jesus" is not in the Bible

Does that mean we shouldn't have a personal relationship with Him? Ha ha... not hardly.

I talk to Jesus just like Protestants do (or claim to..), although sometimes it seems I don't do so enough.. (considering how hideous the condition of the world is and etc... etc).

But it always bugged me... that one word: personal

Does this mean, to protestants, that you should not have a PUBLIC relationship w/ Christ? Do some protestants believe you should check your "relationship with Christ" at the door of your business or school or whatever? Well, in that case, I don't believe in having this kind of relationship.

And frankly, I do know of people who are like that... they claim to be Christian and act like it on Sunday but... when it comes to a public proclamation of what they stand for... uh.... stutter stutter..

But Jesus said that if you deny Him before men, He will deny you before the Father..
I recall asking a guy how he believed God could have time and resources for everyone on earth, for every believer.

He explainwe it fairly well, "we can't comprehend God and his powers, he is beyond our understanding, our science, our laws, so anything could be possible".

Thus, I say, we could all have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back