Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
Here is something interesting. The arch rightwinger, Boyd Packer, long Hinckley and Monson's opponent on social issues, gave a sermon a bit ago about The Proclamation on the Family, the anti-gay program of the LDS Church. The interesting point is that the release of his sermon on lds.org was heavily edited to eliminate his hate speech. You will not see him speak in public again except in the most guarded of scenes so that the Church can control him.

There was no hate speech in the sermon Jake. In fact, it was a very clear expression and love and hope through the power of the Atonement.

Nor was it heavily edited. Nor is there right v left wing in the Church leadership. They all preach the same message of repentence.

No one has to take my word for it though. Read and listen for yourselves.

The edited verson is much, much better than sermon, and, yes, it was homophobic. Don't take my word for it, listen to it if you can find a bootleg copy. Hinckley and Monson long opposed Packer and his supporters Oaks and Maxwell in the Twelve. The two wings go all the way back to Joseph F. Smith and his son against Apostles Orson F. Whitney and David O. McKay.

The motifs are the Iron Rod and the Liahona for the two wings.

Avatar, you say you started out not knowing if there was a god...
So what was it that turned the lightbulb on in your head so to speak, about suddenly being convinced that your god was real after all? And why one of the whackiest branches of religion?

I told you that I am not LDS, but I know far more about it than you do. Shoot, Truthspeaker and Avitar4321 between them might know a third of what I know about it. Good beliefs, fine people, interesting literature, depraved beginnings: what more would you want in an American story?

so Avatar and I who are devout in our religion and study it on a daily basis, only know a third of what you know about it even though you are not a member of our church. Interesting. Great nugget Schrute!

Here is something interesting. The arch rightwinger, Boyd Packer, long Hinckley and Monson's opponent on social issues, gave a sermon a bit ago about The Proclamation on the Family, the anti-gay program of the LDS Church. The interesting point is that the release of his sermon on lds.org was heavily edited to eliminate his hate speech. You will not see him speak in public again except in the most guarded of scenes so that the Church can control him.

Boy are you off the beaten path. Boyd K. Packer has ever been in the greatest harmony with the rest of the general authorities. He just spoke about the very same thing again last sunday in general conference broadcast across the whole planet, coincidentally again about the proclamation to the world about the family.

He outlined it again. Explaining the reason why homosexuality is not acceptable to God's plan of happiness. There is no censorship in our church. It's an all open book for everyone to scrutinize with the largest microscopes.

There was no hate speech in the sermon Jake. In fact, it was a very clear expression and love and hope through the power of the Atonement.

Nor was it heavily edited. Nor is there right v left wing in the Church leadership. They all preach the same message of repentence.

The edited verson is much, much better than sermon, and, yes, it was homophobic. Don't take my word for it, listen to it if you can find a bootleg copy. Hinckley and Monson long opposed Packer and his supporters Oaks and Maxwell in the Twelve. The two wings go all the way back to Joseph F. Smith and his son against Apostles Orson F. Whitney and David O. McKay.

Jake, this claim is beyond absurd. I'd say you know it too, but maybe you don't. Please post links if you're going to make such wild claims please.

How did the spirit reveal it? And I just asked god, no shit, and am awaiting his answer. How long does it usually take for an answer?

Long enough for you to be humble and sincere and believe that you can get an answer.

But, is it enough to ask whether the church is true, or does one have to pray to god to help him believe that it is true?

That is a big difference, IMO.

First you have to want to know if it's true. Then you have to believe god exists. Then you have to go out on a limb and ask if God will give you the answer.

So what was it that turned the lightbulb on in your head so to speak, about suddenly being convinced that your god was real after all? And why one of the whackiest branches of religion?

It wasn't one lightbulb moment. It was lots of little light bulb moments. It was the way i preferred my life to the alternative. It seemed to make sense in my heart, and sense in my brain just as much. I didn't see things as wacky. Truth is often stranger than fiction so knowing that ahead of time I decided not to blindly dismiss anything without investigating it first.
That goes beyond religion.

When questions come that I don't know the answer to, I don't jump to conclusions, I seek answers and I usually get them.

Long enough for you to be humble and sincere and believe that you can get an answer.

But, is it enough to ask whether the church is true, or does one have to pray to god to help him believe that it is true?

First you have to want to know if it's true. Then you have to believe god exists. Then you have to go out on a limb and ask if God will give you the answer.

Heaven forbid, we use the bible to make sure our heart is following the truth. Guess the Apostle Paul was one screwed up dude when he said, "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God".

And don't try to redefine what Paul meant by "Word".......He was referring to scripture, not dreams, feelings, burning bosoms, that seemed to meet the criteria of one's "heart".

The bible says that the heart is inherently deceitful...........It cannot be trusted............Thus the Word Of God that was omnipotently protected and handed down to us through the centuries is at our disposal to use for growth, correction, and keeping on correct "track".

Heaven forbid, we use the bible to make sure our heart is following the truth. Guess the Apostle Paul was one screwed up dude when he said, "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God".

And don't try to redefine what Paul meant by "Word".......He was referring to scripture, not dreams, feelings, burning bosoms, that seemed to meet the criteria of one's "heart".

Is that your interpretation of Paul's words? It sounds to me like he was agreeing with Truthspeaker.

The bible says that the heart is inherently deceitful...........It cannot be trusted............Thus the Word Of God that was omnipotently protected and handed down to us through the centuries is at our disposal to use for growth, correction, and keeping on correct "track".

The Bible that says that the human race began with two individuals in the Garden of Eden? The one that says that all the animals that weren't on Noah's Ark were wiped out in a universal flood? The one that tells us that Joshua made the walls of Jerico fall down by blowing on a trumpet, or that god actually parted the Red Sea to allow the Israelites to escape?

That Bible?

Jake, this claim is beyond absurd. I'd say you know it too, but maybe you don't. Please post links if you're going to make such wild claims please.

Truthspeaker clearly does not know his history. Anyone interested in this can contact LDS historians at BYU, University of Utah, and elsewhere. Three award-winning temple-card carrying LDS historians who have spent their whole lives on these issues*, Todd Compton,and Richard Bushman and Richard E. Bennett, will support exactly what I have written.

*Disclaimer: Truthspeaker is going to write that he knows more about this anyone else. Ask him contact Todd, Richard, and Richard for futher instruction.

Agree 100% that God created us

Which god:
Aphrodite
Apollo
Apsu
Ares
Artemis
Asclepius
Athena
Athirat
Athtart
Atlas
Baal
Ba Xian
Bacchus
Balder
Bast
Bellona
Bergelmir
Bes
Bixia Yuanjin
Bragi
Brahma
Brigit
Camaxtli
Ceres
Ceridwen
Cernunnos
Chac
Chalchiuhtlicue
Charun
Chemosh
Cheng-huang
Cybele
Dagon
Damkina (Dumkina)
Davlin
Dawn
Demeter
Diana
Di Cang
Dionysus

Anywho you get the point? :eusa_angel:

It wasn't one lightbulb moment. It was lots of little light bulb moments. It was the way i preferred my life to the alternative. It seemed to make sense in my heart, and sense in my brain just as much. I didn't see things as wacky. Truth is often stranger than fiction so knowing that ahead of time I decided not to blindly dismiss anything without investigating it first.
That goes beyond religion.

When questions come that I don't know the answer to, I don't jump to conclusions, I seek answers and I usually get them.

Avatar, you change your name to truthspeaker? If not, t-dude why don't you stfu.

Adamo, I hope you understand that you don't make the rules here. Any one of us, including you, can pop in anytime on any discussion. Don't like it? Take it up with admin. Oh, check your attitude at the door, cause that don't work here.

8-ball, you read something like the bible and then it gives you hope that the stories are true. That hope is the desire I'm talking about. But that hope is not knowledge or even belief. it's the desire.

Then you have to pray to God to get the answer. His answer, by the power of the spirit of God, is not mistakable. it doesn't fail as do the hearts of men on their own. That's what I'm talking about.

Truthspeaker clearly does not know his history. Anyone interested in this can contact LDS historians at BYU, University of Utah, and elsewhere. Three award-winning temple-card carrying LDS historians who have spent their whole lives on these issues*, Todd Compton,and Richard Bushman and Richard E. Bennett, will support exactly what I have written.

*Disclaimer: Truthspeaker is going to write that he knows more about this anyone else. Ask him contact Todd, Richard, and Richard for futher instruction.
Yes please do. Contact all those people and also contact BYU and look at any and all annals of our documents and you won't find what Jake says you will find.

btw Go Giants!!! Bring on Philadelphia!!

Forum List

Back