The two ends of the political spectrum are killing us

And ... even enemies can reach agreements on things when both sides benefit. The Geneva Conventions, although not always scrupulously followed, were a step forward for humanity.

52738170217_3e58734ed5_c.jpg

You Sneaky Little Gremlin ... :auiqs.jpg:
Where's my shotgun?

I think their are two extremes; the radical Left (eg AOC) and the radical right (eg Marjorie Taylor Greene). Democrats are dominated by the extreme Left. Republicans are dominated by RINOS. If you are truly middle of the road and center, not much to choose from.

lol...good one....But one has to try, No?

That's kind of the point ... "Try" to what?

Just because someone gets a stupid idea ...
Doesn't mean anyone is obligated to entertain it ... Or even dissect it looking for all the bad and any good.

There's an implied need to show cooperation, kindness, and compassion ... Coupled with a constantly supported social stigma against ...
Telling someone to take their stupid idea ... That someone else may not be in the least bit compelled to support ...
And stuff it up their ass.

That's how we end up constantly lowering the bar in expectations ...
And end up discussing incredibly stupid ideas, politics and initiatives ... While pretending we are smart and being helpful ... :auiqs.jpg:

Why would one have to "compromise their principles" to have rational conversation about differences?

Principles don't change ... And if what someone is suggesting is in conflict with another's Principles ...
Then to compromise at all ... Would be compromising one's Principles.

One can discuss anything ... But when it comes to compromise or action ...
That's a different story.

And what exactly would you deem rational about someone Compromising their Principles.
We are guided by our Principles ... They are the compass.
If you are wandering through the jungle ... Are you going to break your compass in hopes of finding a better way ... :auiqs.jpg:

Thats the crazy shit Mac1958 does…..
”The two ends of the spectrum are killing us but I voted for the furthest end that is killing us the most.”
He said he loathes both parties, and then he admitted he voted for dems for something other than policies. He voted for the brain dead idiot because of his hatred for 'them', 'they.' His racism is his guiding light, and he gets preachy about extremism. While the republicans have become useless, it is still amusing he does not list what right wing extremism is.

That's kind of the point ... "Try" to what?

Just because someone gets a stupid idea ...
Doesn't mean anyone is obligated to entertain it ... Or even dissect it looking for all the bad and any good.

There's an implied need to show cooperation, kindness, and compassion ... Coupled with a constantly supported social stigma against ...
Telling someone to take their stupid idea ... That someone else may not be in the least bit compelled to support ...
And stuff it up their ass.

That's how we end up constantly lowering the bar in expectations ...
And end up discussing incredibly stupid ideas, politics and initiatives ... While pretending we are smart and being helpful ... :auiqs.jpg:

I understand the anger BlackSand....And have said we are all human, but no one has said anything about being compelled to support stupid ideas....What I am saying is we need to debate in a principled way, and stick to our Constitution....What's wrong with that?

There is no civility in talking politics anymore. trump and his cult ended that with the name calling and the Bronx style slander.

Dignity left the White House during the trump regime.
Hahaha…you leftists don’t “talk politics”, you talk social constuct, you vote social construct.
Dignity left the White House when dark people, white guilters and suckers voted that Change America Kenyan dude in.

Principles don't change ... And if what someone is suggesting is in conflict with another's Principles ...
Then to compromise at all ... Would be compromising one's Principles.

One can discuss anything ... But when it comes to compromise or action ...
That's a different story.

And what exactly would you deem rational about someone Compromising their Principles.
We are guided by our Principles ... They are the compass.
If you are wandering through the jungle ... Are you going to break your compass in hopes of finding a better way ... :auiqs.jpg:

So, was Reagan wrong when he stated that:

quote-the-person-who-agrees-with-you-80-percent-of-the-time-is-a-friend-and-an-ally-not-a-ronald-reagan-51-92-72.jpg

I'm not saying we have to compromise on the radical dumb crap the Democrats insert into bills, but what I am saying is that to be so rigid in the dialogue discussing the ideas, is to be as bad as your opponent.

I am not so sure that communications issues aren't BOTH effect and cause. Partly because the low level of discourse can inflame some people to take actions that might not otherwise happen, but also the question of honest and unbiased news reporting. If people are not told the whole story then how are they to make an informed decision? We find out a year or two later that we were lied to or at best the truth was doctored/manipulated and some stories just flat out were not reported in the name of politics. So, I think th nastiness does influence or maybe cause misconduct.
Yes, you're right. There is 'positive feedback' (by which I don't mean 'good' feedback, I mean feedback that amplifies the initial signal. As the Marxists might say, it's "dialectical". )

In a war, each side says nasty things about the other. We can imagine the soldiers of Side B being shown what the soldiers of Side A say about them. This would likely make them fight harder, and perhaps make it more difficult to end the war by some sort of compromise truce.

But it's unlikely that it was bad words that were the main cause of the war. What's happening to the US must have much more profound causes than that.

I'm not saying we have to compromise on the radical dumb crap the Democrats insert into bills, but what I am saying is that to be so rigid in the dialogue discussing the ideas, is to be as bad as your opponent.

What did President Reagan say in regard to entertaining ignorant crap ... For the sake of discussing how ignorant it is ...
In attempts to appear you should be discussing the stupid shit to start with?

Because in general ... That's not really the over-all take-away I got from President Reagan ...
Granted, I was young and don't remember him well ... :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back