The view from LONDON...democracy doesnt work in the US.

Isn't Italy in Europe?

And Spain, Portugal and lots of eastern European countries where religion is strong.

Hahaha... another hillbilly showing their complete ignorance once again.

Catholicism is the official religion in all these countries that you mention.... if you find me anyone under the age of 78 ..who has any religion in their life in europe ... i will be amazed.

Travelled, worked and lived all over Europe... no religion in Italy, Spain or Portugal....

As for England... you would NEVER find a more secular country.... Church of england = non existant.

When will Americans wake up and realise... that no first world country takes religion seriously.

Religion always dies with the education of the majority of people.

One day the US will be a first world nation.

Catholicism is the official religion in all these countries that you mention.... if you find me anyone under the age of 78 ..who has any religion in their life in europe ... i will be amazed.

Travelled, worked and lived all over Europe... no religion in Italy, Spain or Portugal....

As for England... you would NEVER find a more secular country.... Church of england = non existant.

When will Americans wake up and realise... that no first world country takes relgion seriously.

What I find interesting is your lumping of all Europeans together and lumping of all Americans together. There are ranges of behavior and ideology in both. And, near as I can tell, there are plenty of religious folk in Europe (including huge populations of muslims) and plenty of non-religious folk in America.

Is there too much G-d in U.S. government? Yes. But when England was only 200 some odd years old, there was, too.

I think you're so going out of your way to bash, that you're failing to be nuanced.

What I find interesting is your lumping of all Europeans together and lumping of all Americans together. There are ranges of behavior and ideology in both. And, near as I can tell, there are plenty of religious folk in Europe (including huge populations of muslims) and plenty of non-religious folk in America.

Is there too much G-d in U.S. government? Yes. But when England was only 200 some odd years old, there was, too.

I think you're so going out of your way to bash, that you're failing to be nuanced.

Not at all.

Do you know what the greatest threat to world peace today is?

It is religious fundamentalism in the US.

It is so warped and bizarre... that a supposed first world nation harbours so many stone age freaks.

It is EXTREMELY dangerous... just ask the 100,000 plus Iraqi women and children massacred..because these nuts gave a free licence to BUSHTEAM>.

The tragic irony is that BUSHTEAM invented this fictional islamic fundamentalism... when everyone is realising now just how sick that was.....that it is the christian nuts in the US who are the real terrorists and threat to the world.

Last edited:
When was England 200 years old??

heh... well, the year 1127 :eusa_whistle:

England became a unified state in the year 927

England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't say we hadn't backtracked a bit by getting their religion in our government. It seems to happen in cycles. They'll get smacked down if they don't screw it all up totally beforehand. Cause ultimately, my problem isn't with people's beliefs, it's their insertion of their beliefs into my government whether they're fundie christian or muslim or orthodox jew.

heh... well, the year 1127 :eusa_whistle:

England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't say we hadn't backtracked a bit by getting their religion in our government. It seems to happen in cycles. They'll get smacked down if they don't screw it all up totally beforehand. Cause ultimately, my problem isn't with people's beliefs, it's their insertion of their beliefs into my government whether they're fundie christian or muslim or orthodox jew.

It's a lot more complicated than that....I would argue 1066, but that aside, when I was taught history at school in England we were taught about Bodicea (pre Christianity), as well as Canute, Harold etc, plus the Kingdoms of Wessex, Umbria etc. The US was more or less formed by the time of the revolution - I know the Louisiana Purchase and the annexation of the former Mexican territories came later, but the BASIS of your country was formed. The formation of England had very little to do with religion. It wasn't until Henry VIII threw his weight behind a certain change that religion even came to the fore..

It's a lot more complicated than that....I would argue 1066, but that aside, when I was taught history at school in England we were taught about Bodicea (pre Christianity), as well as Canute, Harold etc, plus the Kingdoms of Wessex, Umbria etc. The US was more or less formed by the time of the revolution - I know the Louisiana Purchase and the annexation of the former Mexican territories came later, but the BASIS of your country was formed. The formation of England had very little to do with religion. It wasn't until Henry VIII threw his weight behind a certain change that religion even came to the fore..

I never argue history with history buffs... I know when I'm outclassed in that regard. :cool:

It is complicated, though. I was being a bit glib. I actually think the obsession with relgion in certain parts of this country goes all the way back to the puritans who ran away to the colonies not because England was too religious, but because it wasn't religious enough. That got passed down hand to hand... father to son, mother to daughter. They've infected a lot of things... which is why we're the only country in the civilized world where reproductive choice is a political issue.

I never argue history with history buffs... I know when I'm outclassed in that regard. :cool:

It is complicated, though. I was being a bit glib. I actually think the obsession with relgion in certain parts of this country goes all the way back to the puritans who ran away to the colonies not because England was too religious, but because it wasn't religious enough. That got passed down hand to hand... father to son, mother to daughter. They've infected a lot of things... which is why we're the only country in the civilized world where reproductive choice is a political issue.

I agree....I think the US panders too much to religion....whether it be right-wing religious whack jobs (think -cp), or the ACLU protecting nutty Muslims who would quite happily see all women wearing burkas (think Sunni)

I agree....I think the US panders too much to religion....whether it be right-wing religious whack jobs (think -cp), or the ACLU protecting nutty Muslims who would quite happily see all women wearing burkas (think Sunni)

can't argue with you on that... amazing what the pursuit of power leads people to since I'm fairly certain McCain didn't have some midnight conversion or anything like that.

When will Americans wake up and realise... that no first world country takes religion seriously.

I knew you'd mention Spain before long.

I'm still waiting for the HIV-AIDs stuff.

:lol: This is fun, I missed you.

I knew you'd mention Spain before long.

I'm still waiting for the HIV-AIDs stuff.

:lol: This is fun, I missed you.

Fun?

You think that the iraqi mothers and orphans are laughing at the US terrorism given free reign by religious extremism in the US?

Religious fundamentalism in the US is the single biggest scourge of the modern world. The single biggest threat to peace in the world today.

Fun?

You think that the iraqi mothers and orphans are laughing at the US terrorism given free reign by religious extremism in the US?

Religious fundamentalism in the US is the single biggest scourge of the modern world. The single biggest threat to peace in the world today.

Poppycock.

I wonder what percentage of males cut or shave their pubic hair....

I would also like a breakdown of these figures in jesus freak regions of the united states of terrorism.

I would also like to know the motivation behind each cut and shave.

regards,

MichaelCollins

Libertarian.

I wonder what percentage of males cut or shave their pubic hair....

I would also like a breakdown of these figures in jesus freak regions of the united states of terrorism.

I would also like to know the motivation behind each cut and shave.

regards,

MichaelCollins

Libertarian.

A "libertarian"? In what country?

Fun?

Having you back is fun, silly. You're such a passionate guy.

Forum List

Back