The 'What Does it All Mean?' Thread

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I've been reading through the religion and ethics forum and see a wide variety of imagination, coupled with passionate viewpoints and insightful knowledge as to how man thinks regarding his spirituality. I have to admit, this is a fascinating topic for me personally. I am a Spiritualist. I don't subscribe to organized religious belief. Regardless of how many times I've put that out there, I am always attacked as if I am Jerry Falwell or Benny Henn. I'll jump into an argument to defend a Christian, but it's more because I detest bullying than anything else. I respect what is in the Bible and I respect the Christian's right to believe it, but their religion doesn't define my God. I'm more of a 'Spinoza's God' type of guy.

"By substance I understand what is in itself and is conceived through itself, i.e., that whose concept does not require the concept of another thing, from which it must be formed.” ~ Baruch Spinoza
This means, essentially, that substance is just whatever can be thought of without relating it to any other idea or thing. For example, if one thinks of a particular object, one thinks of it as a kind of thing, e.g., X is a cat. Substance, on the other hand, is to be conceived of by itself, without understanding it as a particular kind of thing (because it isn't a particular thing at all).

In the universe anything that happens comes from the essential nature of objects, or of God/Nature. According to Spinoza, reality is perfection. If circumstances are seen as unfortunate it is only because of our inadequate conception of reality. While components of the chain of cause and effect are not beyond the understanding of human reason, human grasp of the infinitely complex whole is limited because of the limits of science to empirically take account of the whole sequence. Spinoza also asserted that sense perception, though practical and useful for rhetoric, is inadequate for discovering universal truth; Spinoza's mathematical and logical approach to metaphysics, and therefore ethics, concluded that emotion is formed from inadequate understanding. His concept of "conatus" states that human beings' natural inclination is to strive toward preserving an essential being and an assertion that virtue/human power is defined by success in this preservation of being by the guidance of reason as one's central ethical doctrine. According to Spinoza, the highest virtue is the intellectual love or knowledge of God/Nature/Universe.

In the final part of the "Ethics", his concern with the meaning of "true blessedness", and his explanation of how emotions must be detached from external cause and so master them, foreshadow psychological techniques developed in the 1900s. His concept of three types of knowledge—opinion, reason, intuition—and his assertion that intuitive knowledge provides the greatest satisfaction of mind, lead to his proposition that the more we are conscious of ourselves and Nature/Universe, the more perfect and blessed we are (in reality) and that only intuitive knowledge is eternal. His unique contribution to understanding the workings of mind is extraordinary, even during this time of radical philosophical developments, in that his views provide a bridge between religions' mystical past and psychology of the present day.

Given Spinoza's insistence on a completely ordered world where "necessity" reigns, Good and Evil have no absolute meaning. The world as it exists looks imperfect only because of our limited perception.

Now I don't know if I completely agree with Spinny on that, nor do I know much about his religious upbringing. He was Jewish but they tossed him, apparently. And it wouldn't be a problem if he was a Jew, I have no disrespect there, the Jewish people are smart and resilient. There are obviously some perks to being "God's chosen people."

But Spinoza makes a valid point that I have often made as well, our entire experience in this "reality" as we perceive it, is nothing more than time and space, which is just the universe expanding. Our concepts and understandings are limited to our five senses, of which we're not even the masters of on our own planet, individually. Other things can see, smell, taste, hear and touch better than humans. Other things are stronger, quicker, more poisonous. A sperm, which is technically not even a living organism, can find an egg to fertilize.

It makes it extremely naive to think that our five inferior senses are all there is to reality when we can observe so much more going on. Be it on a molecular level or even a sub-atomic level, there are things happening every day in our universe that we are completely oblivious to, we simply can't experience them through our five limited senses.

Now, if we KNOW that there are these things happening on different levels that we can't sense, doesn't it stand to reason we can have a spiritual Creator? A 'something' that is ultimately in charge, guiding the ship, controlling the destiny? To me, it's obvious we do have such a power that our senses can't detect in a physical sense. We connect to it spiritually, and man has been doing this since his inception. Skeptics will chortle... but where is the PROOF? ...and the "proof" for me is found in one simple question: What Does it All Mean?

With everything living in nature around me, I see amazing wonder. Insects, plants, birds, bees, fish, critters.... all in a system of interdependence with each other. Connected in a universal cycle to uncanny perfection in mechanics and operation. The billions of things happening on a planetary scale each second, all working together and growing... WHY?

I look at the marvels of humanity over the past 1,500 years. The technology we've invented, the creative mind at work. I see the great philosophies and breathtaking works of art... Millions and millions of books and literature... FOR WHAT?

The thing that has always perplexed me about the Atheists is this unanswered question. They seem to be perfectly content with discerning it's all for nothing. It doesn't mean anything. There is no reason for any of this. We have no purpose or destiny. We're nothing more than a rudderless ship on the ocean, drifting aimlessly into the abyss.

I can't bring myself to think of living in such a delusional reality. I'm not sure that I could make it without suffering major depression and possible suicide. How do you get up and face the day knowing it's for nothing? That nothing really matters? We're just here to feed the worms?

There is something more powerful than us in play here. Whether you believe this or not, and regardless of what 'incarnation' you believe this power takes, it is certainly there. In order to comport logic with reality, it has to be there. Nothing in our universe happens without reason. Cause and effect are logical principles in this universe. Reality compels us in the direction of finding an answer to this question whether Atheists like it or not.

"There is something more powerful than us in play here", .......because I say so.

As to the OP, I have no damn clue what anything means but do believe we are here not simply by biological accident. I think God may or may not exist. I think that we simply evolved into sentient introspective creatures goes beyond a highly developed brain, and that we just cannot grasp why.

It makes my head hurt to think about infinity, and makes it hurt even more to imagine an end to the universe because the void at its end would still be something.

That's a start.

"There is something more powerful than us in play here", .......because I say so.

There is nothing whatsoever about a question which indicates anything remotely close to "because I say so." In fact, if there could be a thing more opposite of such a statement, I don't know what it might be. Questions are generally asked by people in search of answers. That isn't professing a "because I say so" argument at all.

Disengage yourself from 'imminent attack mode' for a moment or two, and ponder the OP question. Then, try to formulate some coherent answer to explain your views of reality.

Unless you just WANT to keep looking like a troll...

Why do you assume it has to mean anything?

Agreed. Who says there is any meaning in any of this. I'm an evolved ape with the ability to perceive the universe, and even though I appreciate the beauty of nature and am in awe of how the universe is laid out and how the laws of physics do what they do, that doesn't mean there is some inherent meaning to any of it. There may very well be, there may even be some for of God or Divine Being behind the universe, but then again, there may not be.

If there is some meaning to my life, I have to give meaning to it on my terms.

There is nothing whatsoever about a question which indicates anything remotely close to "because I say so." In fact, if there could be a thing more opposite of such a statement, I don't know what it might be. Questions are generally asked by people in search of answers. That isn't professing a "because I say so" argument at all.

Disengage yourself from 'imminent attack mode' for a moment or two, and ponder the OP question. Then, try to formulate some coherent answer to explain your views of reality.

Much of your pontificating is framed with the "... because I say so", argument.

Why do you choose to be so pompous?

Because everything points in that direction from a logic perspective in my reality. I see "cause and effect" in the universe around me and I understand that in reality, there is a reason for everything. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, purpose must relate to cause. If this reality exists, if life exists, if our minds, imaginations, etc., all exist... there must be a reason.

We didn't wake up this morning floating out into space, talking about how "gravity" decided to take the day off... just wasn't feeling the cosmic energy today or something... so here we are, stuck in a day without gravity! Nope... it worked today the same as it has worked since the beginning of the universe. Why do we assume it has to? Well... maybe because if it didn't, we'd really be up shit creek? It actually HAS to exist for "exist" to have relevant meaning.

Physics has been one of our most powerful tools. It has given us broad understanding of the mechanics of our physical universe, but it is currently on the brink of completely uncharted territory. If what some theorize is true, "reality" could exist in millions or billions of forms. One theoretical physicist drew laughter from the line, "it's possible a universe could exist where Elvis is still alive!" But seriously, we don't know what secrets lie in the cosmos.

Again... back on point... I can't wrap my mind around the idea that this is all for nothing and has no real reason or purpose because that doesn't make sense to me.

Because everything points in that direction from a logic perspective in my reality. I see "cause and effect" in the universe around me and I understand that in reality, there is a reason for everything. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, purpose must relate to cause. If this reality exists, if life exists, if our minds, imaginations, etc., all exist... there must be a reason.

We didn't wake up this morning floating out into space, talking about how "gravity" decided to take the day off... just wasn't feeling the cosmic energy today or something... so here we are, stuck in a day without gravity! Nope... it worked today the same as it has worked since the beginning of the universe. Why do we assume it has to? Well... maybe because if it didn't, we'd really be up shit creek? It actually HAS to exist for "exist" to have relevant meaning.

Physics has been one of our most powerful tools. It has given us broad understanding of the mechanics of our physical universe, but it is currently on the brink of completely uncharted territory. If what some theorize is true, "reality" could exist in millions or billions of forms. One theoretical physicist drew laughter from the line, "it's possible a universe could exist where Elvis is still alive!" But seriously, we don't know what secrets lie in the cosmos.

Again... back on point... I can't wrap my mind around the idea that this is all for nothing and has no real reason or purpose because that doesn't make sense to me.

Really? Why? People are born, grow old and die every single day. Some live long lives thanks to their genetics, some live short lives. Some die from doing stupid dangerous things, some don't. Good people die of dread diseases every minute of every day, while vile, evil, people live out their scumbag existences preying on the good people around them.

If you see logic amongst that, then I need to know what your smokin'.

Really? Why? People are born, grow old and die every single day. Some live long lives thanks to their genetics, some live short lives. Some die from doing stupid dangerous things, some don't. Good people die of dread diseases every minute of every day, while vile, evil, people live out their scumbag existences preying on the good people around them.

So, according to boss, an unknowable, unfathomable god (which theists slather with various human attributes), has a plan for us. Let’s see the preponderance of evidence, and let's apply critical thinking to it and see if it withstands scrutiny. As a matter of course, everything that is delineated in appeals to gods we must also (in order to be fair and impartial) hold supernaturalism against by way of standard.

It all becomes completely harmonious when you take the gods out of the equation. No issues at all -- not a single paradox. We have free will, we write our own destiny as we move through linear time, we are responsible for the kind of world we live in, the "plan" is within our hands and is imperfect because we are imperfect, and thus changes-- exactly as it is playing out -- I'd say all concerns are satisfied once you abdicate the notion that there's a "guiding intelligence" from a supernatural realm involved with our existence.

An unhealthy fascination with supernatural realms is cause for concern.

There is nothing "illogical" about it. Human beings are primates who live a certain amount of time and then die. Countless and impossible to consider variables exist with the question of individual circumstances, but suffice it to say, life and nature aren't fair. For me to attempt to apply some "Godly" explanation as to why the universe isn't to your perceptions of reality perfection, is beyond my ability.

I think we all understand that humans are physical animals, primates, mammals, part of the animal kingdom. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that humans are uniquely different animals from all the rest. We can have all kinds of debate over this 'sum'n-sum'n' but clearly it does exist. I have to think a large part of that is found in man's ability to comprehend and imagine the metaphysical, existence beyond the physical. Even if you are an astute Darwinist, you have to wonder how humans came across that unique ability to achieve as humans have. None of our "closest relatives" seem to have had it... where did the trait come from, if it evolved?

I guess it's easy when you adopt the Doctrine of Nothingness?

An unhealthy fascination with supernatural realms is cause for concern.

Should I take this to mean there are healthy degrees of fascination with supernatural realms that are of no concern?

She wants it to be "because you say so" because then she has excused herself from thinking and participating in the search for truth.

As to the OP, I have no damn clue what anything means but do believe we are here not simply by biological accident. I think God may or may not exist. I think that we simply evolved into sentient introspective creatures goes beyond a highly developed brain, and that we just cannot grasp why.

It makes my head hurt to think about infinity, and makes it hurt even more to imagine an end to the universe because the void at its end would still be something.

That's a start.

Study even a bit of genetics and evolution. We are indeed a biological accident.

I do agree that we evolved into what we are now and, if we can save the planet, we will continue to evolve.

What Does it All Mean?

... is a question we've been asking since we crawled up out of the muck. I suspect it means nothing. We live, we die and, in the great scheme of things, its not even a blip.

The op sounds like first year in college.

Hi [MENTION=37754]Hollie[/MENTION]:
You responded in a previous message regarding the assumption of the existence of a "spiritual nature" that hasn't been scientifically proven. This is likely because we haven't defined what we are talking about in a way that science can quantify.

But what if we could isolate factors that could be studied scientifically
that "correlate" to a 'spiritual connection' or nature between people?

For example, Hollie, what if science could prove some of the following relationships
in repeated, replicable studies:

1. the connection between praying for forgiveness for events affecting one person,
but the healing effect occurring in another person who is "personally" connected.

This is one degree different from documenting the before/after effects of the "same person" praying for forgiveness of past events and receiving increased healing results.

In studies on spiritual healing, there are cases where praying with the mother to forgive and receive healing ended up "correlating" with a spontaneous healing effect in her child.

What if the child is not involved in the decisions or healing process, or aware of it?

Could this possibly prove a "spiritual link" between generations
of sickness and healing? If such occurrences could be studied on a repeat basis,
and show a "higher than average" correlation between forgiveness prayer in the
parent or parents of past generations, and healing of diseases in the child?

2. disproving psychosomatic or "placebo" effect
In the case of the "death curse" practices in voodoo cultures,
one researcher found that the person who was targeted for the curse
did not have to even be AWARE of this in order for the paralysis to affect them.
The curse involved a 'creeping paralysis' that would start in the person's legs
and gradually paralyze them with the intent and ability to kill them if it continued.

So if such studies could be replicated, where the subjects are not aware if they are chosen or not, would correlation help to "prove" that prayer is not just a placebo effect
but somehow carries changes in energy on a "spiritual level" connecting people unconsciously?

This is an extreme example. Of course, it would be unethical to experiment with something deadly. In the case of other research on the "Silva mind control" methods, subjects were geographically separated and did not have knowledge of the actions and timing of the other person. Supposedly, the timing of their brains both going into "alpha mode" (where prayer/meditation occurs) coincided, which was taken as proof that they were "psychically" or "spiritually" connected by conscience transcending physical perception of time and space. If that could be documented using scientific instruments, could this be used as proof that people do receive empathetic signals from each other "spiritually" or unconsciously?

3. Princeton studies on meditation to focus the mind
In another book on studies on prayer, I read about research on subjects who were asked to concentrate on making certain number patterns appear in a random generator device.

The studies used statistics to show deviation from "random" outcomes, which had to be of high enough significance to register as a correlated effect.

What made this study interesting was that it did not matter if the "prayer/meditation" was done BEFORE or AFTER the numbers were randomly generated.

the same "rate of changes in correlated results" from random outcomes to effected outcomes, occurred whether the person went into their focused mental state (whether by prayer or meditation or whatever they used to try to effect the outcomes) either beforehand or afterwards.

Wouldn't a repeat study like that show that linear time is not a factor?

Can't similar scenarios be set up to measure a "correlated" effect on some level other than psychological/psychosomatic and without physical contact or conscious knowledge?

Forum List

Back