The 'What Does it All Mean?' Thread

Gravity has nothing to do with meaning. If I am texting and run into a tree my running into the tree does not mean anything. If I run my car into a tree because I want an apple then there is a meaning I can tell the insurance company.

You are confusing meaning with reason. If you were texting and ran THROUGH the tree, there would be no meaning. The fact that a certain thing happens when the matter of your car meets the matter of the tree, is meaningful.

Then the OP is a physics/metaphysics question and not of religion and ethics.

It's a philosophical question. I think it deals with all four, physics, metaphysics, religion and ethics. If we examine our universe, we find meaning in everything. Perhaps these meanings seem insignificant and small to us, but they still exist... in fact, just to exist has meaning. Every grain of sand on the beach is there because something caused it to be. Does the sand and beach have no meaning? Of course not, they mean a great deal. Everywhere we look, things have meaning, they are there for a reason, things happen to cause other things to happen, and it's all transpiring in this confinement of spacetime we perceive as a reality. which is literally just the universe expanding.

To fool yourself into believing this all has no meaning, defies everything we know about the universe. It's sad on one level, that people can function and go through their life believing it has no meaning, that nothing has meaning... but it's also unfortunate that, as far as humans have advanced, we still have cave men afraid of the fire. Fearful of what they may find if they ponder this question too much.

A couple of things. First, that's an opinion by Dr. Kaku. It's not what the literature says or currently accepted model of Black Holes demands.

Steven, Dr. Kaku is a highly respected man in the field of Science. What he and others have devised as a mathematical formula, is thought to be a "theory of everything." One that should encompass our traditional physics as well as quantum physics and subatomic physics, and beyond. There is no "DEMAND" in an "accepted" model of Black Holes. This is more of your science double-talk, and an attempt to cajole science into a role of supporting your FAITH. It doesn't.

Black holes are a mystery, or have been a mystery for many years. Along with dark matter and dark energy, which comprise most of our universe (96%). The work of Dr. Kaku and others is changing our understanding daily. Literature is becoming outdated and obsolete, and new literature is replacing that. If you wish to establish "dogma" based on your "chosen" literature, that's fine... but let's call that what it is?

Forum List

Back