This most likely never occured to the left wing loons

eagle7_31

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2013
Part of an op/piece I came across. This would be too logical for the left wing nuts and would disrupt their extreme political narrative.

It is a mistake to judge people from the past for their beliefs using contemporary norms and values. These culturally defined perceptions evolve continuously based on what we learn from the past. At an earlier time slavery was widely practiced by the most esteemed men of the time like Jefferson and Washington. Their values were products of the state of cultural evolution of their time. It would be just as wrong to judge them for bleeding the sick to rid them of bad humors or not using antiseptic surgical practices. Hopefully, we are smarter and more informed than our ancestors regarding moral matters as well. We should accept their limitations and celebrate their contributions as part of our evolution to the world view we share today.

Part of an op/piece I came across. This would be too logical for the left wing nuts and would disrupt their extreme political narrative.

It is a mistake to judge people from the past for their beliefs using contemporary norms and values. These culturally defined perceptions evolve continuously based on what we learn from the past. At an earlier time slavery was widely practiced by the most esteemed men of the time like Jefferson and Washington. Their values were products of the state of cultural evolution of their time. It would be just as wrong to judge them for bleeding the sick to rid them of bad humors or not using antiseptic surgical practices. Hopefully, we are smarter and more informed than our ancestors regarding moral matters as well. We should accept their limitations and celebrate their contributions as part of our evolution to the world view we share today.
Some of that evolution in pictures.

https://i1.wp.com/www.gregpalast.com/wp-content/uploads/2_ZDR.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/www.gregpalast.com/wp-content/uploads/3_ZDR.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.gregpalast.com/wp-content/uploads/4_ZDR.jpg

Charlottesville: A Gun In His Face, But He Got The Photo - Greg Palast

Yup. The only way the Left can fuel their arguments against American foundational thought et al is by applying 21st Century mores (many of which are terribly skewed) to 18th Century thinking.

Forum List

Back