Three in Four in U.S. Still See the Bible as Word of God

I do wish the idiot 25 percent would just admit...they have difficulty with the English language, and no concept at all of world history, which is why they reject the Bible.

It frustrates them because they aren't smart enough to figure it out.

Here's a tip...pray for enlightenment. And commit to increasing your understanding.

It's amazing what a little earnest application of one's intellect, and a little help from the Holy Spirit, can achieve.

32% of the world's population are Christians.

Are you somehow saying you're smarter than the other 68%!!!

/Hurr dee durrr derp derp derp logic

I do wish the idiot 25 percent would just admit...they have difficulty with the English language, and no concept at all of world history, which is why they reject the Bible.

Here's a tip...pray for enlightenment. And commit to increasing your understanding.

It's amazing what a little earnest application of one's intellect, and a little help from the Holy Spirit, can achieve.

I did look into it and what I found what that there is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god. Any ‘evidence’ proposed by theists to support the Bible’s various historical and supernatural claims is non-existent at best, manufactured at worst.

The Bible is not self-authenticating; it is simply one of many religious texts. Like those others, it itself constitutes no evidence for the existence of a god. Its florid prose and fanciful content do not legitimize it nor distinguish it from other ancient works of literature.

The Bible is historically inaccurate, factually incorrect, inconsistent and contradictory. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

It infuriates me because you aren't smart enough to figure this out.

32% of the world's population are Christians.

Are you somehow saying you're smarter than the other 68%!!!

/Hurr dee durrr derp derp derp logic

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

I did look into it and what I found what that there is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god. Any ‘evidence’ proposed by theists to support the Bible’s various historical and supernatural claims is non-existent at best, manufactured at worst.

The Bible is not self-authenticating; it is simply one of many religious texts. Like those others, it itself constitutes no evidence for the existence of a god. Its florid prose and fanciful content do not legitimize it nor distinguish it from other ancient works of literature.

The Bible is historically inaccurate, factually incorrect, inconsistent and contradictory. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

I know it infuriates you. Rage is symptomatic of rejection of God.

You didn't look into the Bible. You went looking for reasons to reject it. you didn't study the text, you didn't delve into history, you didn't objectively compile and review. I doubt you have spent any time in any church as an adult, and if you did, it was because you were *forced* to, and you went with a shuttered and hostile mind.

Your information is carefully filtered through a screen of anger and frustration..you are frustrated because you don't *get* it...and instead of continuing to look into it, like a stupid, spoiled brat you throw the toys down and start throwing things at the other kids.

You're the one who doesn't understand. You're the one with the closed mind and the limited understanding of the suject matter.

And that, in turn, makes you angry.

Which you mistake for some sort of superior understanding.

"Despite some evidence that Americans are becoming more detached from formal religion, the vast majority of Christians, and therefore of Americans, still view the Bible as God's word. The 28% adhering to biblical literalism in the trend question is down about 10 percentage points since the late 1970s. But that decline mainly occurred in the 1980s and 1990s. Ever since, the figure has varied between 27% and 34%, with the current 28% on the low end of that range."

"Ultimately, the finding that nine in 10 Christians believe the Bible emanates from God indicates that U.S. Christians are Christian in more than name only."

Wait, 1 in 10 Christians believe the Bible is neither the literal word of god, nor god-inspired? What the hell do they believe, and how are they calling themselves Christian? :confused:

I think people who presume to be superior to 3/4 of their fellow citizens should be held to a higher standard than your regular run of the mill moron.

So I am holding you to a higher standard. You think you're more intelligent and have superior insight...but you can't carry on an intelligible conversation. Which leads one to wonder..exactly how much do you UNDERSTAND when you read?

My work here is done.

You tell a lot from a sentence, oh magical fairy whisperer.

I don't claim to be smarter than 3/4 of Americans.

I claim to be less gullible in terms of Religious beliefs.

A distinction with a difference.

Religion requires faith.

Faith, that stories written by men long before you were even dreamt up by Nostradamus, are magically true and what lends itself to people having faith in said story books is numbers - strength in numbers. People are afraid to die. At the birth of civilization and forward, humans would seek to rationalize their death. As such, and with far less knowledge of how the world works than is current, snake-oil salesmen who doubled as philosophers were able to put together Religious doctrine as a means of control. So with far less knowledge of how the world works than is current, many adapted to the mores.

It's quite a neat trick. Write a book, claim in the book "there will be doubters!" And then when there are doubters, "wow! What the book said was sooo000o true! Amazing!"

It's gullibility and strength in numbers, that is my opinion of the Religious.

I don't care if you believe me or don't. The correct and irrefutable answer to the question of origins is "we don't know." Anything more is baseless speculation. There is no lofty consequence for stepping into cold reality, surely not a hell. Laughable. My "judgment" if there is a judge will come from my good and bad acts in my life, not my adherence to snake-oil stories. If said judge, if there is one, doesn't agree? Then I don't subscribe to that being's ways in the first place so "buh bye."

Actually, the correct answer is "some know, some don't."

3/4 know.

1/4 don't.

And when you use the term "gullible" you imply stupidity, since the definition of gullible is "to be easily duped". We all know that clever people are only rarely duped...so by claiming that 3/4 of the nation is "gullible" you are claiming that they are dupes, and you are not...now which...dupes, or non-dupes, is considered more intelligent?

You don't understand, because you have a demonstrably limited proficiency with language in the first place.

But the bottom line is this...you are gullible to believe that your lack of knowledge means the answer isn't out there to begin with, and you are stupid to believe your understanding is superior to ANY, let alone 75 percent, of the American population.

That's all well and good.

But reading the graph is more than just numbers. The trend on teh graph is the 3/4 that's know are is a down wards trend while the 1/4th that don't know are in an upward trend.

If you were to project that graph out on the line it's currently moving. the don't know will eventually be in the majority.

"Despite some evidence that Americans are becoming more detached from formal religion, the vast majority of Christians, and therefore of Americans, still view the Bible as God's word. The 28% adhering to biblical literalism in the trend question is down about 10 percentage points since the late 1970s. But that decline mainly occurred in the 1980s and 1990s. Ever since, the figure has varied between 27% and 34%, with the current 28% on the low end of that range."

"Ultimately, the finding that nine in 10 Christians believe the Bible emanates from God indicates that U.S. Christians are Christian in more than name only."

Wait, 1 in 10 Christians believe the Bible is neither the literal word of god, nor god-inspired? What the hell do they believe, and how are they calling themselves Christian? :confused:

They're non-Christians who are lying in order to skew the results of the study.

Ah...the "No True Scotsman" gambit. :D

Are you saying you're a true scotsman, bode?

You may be scots...
But unless you were born with the right equipment you're no man, I'm afraid.

I'm sure you're great at shotput though!

More like the conspiracy theories that extremists launch in to when their arguments are nothing but pointless.

exactly, however we can use trends from graphs to see what might be. and this graph does not bode well for christians

AS THIS AGE COMES TO AN END there will be less faith not more!!!! This is another sign Jesus named TO LOOK FOR JUST BEFORE HIS RETURN!!!====TIME IS SHORT!

better get ready then. are your bags packed?

Sounds like Soddom & Gamora. What religion/cult hasn't pointed to wicked society as a sign of the end of days? Nothing new.

Can you tell me the golden years of Christianity where when the masses were living right and god was pleased with us? Oh never? Then shut the fuck up. But I do doubt christianity will gain members in the next 100-200 years. I think christianity is out of date, obsolete and time for a new religion. No jesus or mohammad, just god.

It's too easy to poke holes in any of the organized religions. They are clearly bullshit. Today we don't even take bible thumpers seriously. They/You are a joke. Now we just need to work on the people who know christianity is bullshit but still believe in god. We need to get that cancer out of their heads. It's holding us all back. We will be much better off when religious people are either in the minority or keep that foolish shit to themselves.

Who is *we*, oh schizophrenic one? Because the *we* you're referencing is a tiny, hysterical, crazed minority.

I know it infuriates you. Rage is symptomatic of rejection of God.

You didn't look into the Bible. You went looking for reasons to reject it. you didn't study the text, you didn't delve into history, you didn't objectively compile and review. I doubt you have spent any time in any church as an adult, and if you did, it was because you were *forced* to, and you went with a shuttered and hostile mind.

Your information is carefully filtered through a screen of anger and frustration..you are frustrated because you don't *get* it...and instead of continuing to look into it, like a stupid, spoiled brat you throw the toys down and start throwing things at the other kids.

You're the one who doesn't understand. You're the one with the closed mind and the limited understanding of the suject matter.

And that, in turn, makes you angry.

Which you mistake for some sort of superior understanding.

You are so wrong. I'm not angry. You said we INFURIATE you. Who's the angry bitch now? :lol:

No, I really really wanted to believe in god. I read the bible with an open mind and heart. I just didn't go into it believing. I had so many questions and every one of you mother fuckers kept saying, "just read the bible then we'll talk". Well I read it and still have questions and doubt. Now what? Sorry you read it and it successfully brianwashed you.

1. I couldn't get past the fact that There is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god. Any ‘evidence’ proposed by theists to support the Bible’s various historical and supernatural claims is non-existent at best, manufactured at worst.

The Bible is not self-authenticating; it is simply one of many religious texts. Like those others, it itself constitutes no evidence for the existence of a god. Its florid prose and fanciful content do not legitimise it nor distinguish it from other ancient works of literature.

2. Atheists are most often called ‘militant’ when they passionately defend reason and advocate critical thinking. The bar theists set for perceived hostility appears to be any atheist simply voicing an opinion in dissent of religious belief. In contrast, the bar atheists set for perceived theistic hostility is any form of religiously motivated violence or oppression.

Atheism does not preclude someone from being argumentative or insensitive; those things are simply seen as being preferable to killing one another over an imaginary friend.

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University theatre or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death, incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they are flawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

Note: ‘Militant’ atheism is most often confused with gosateizm (state atheism), which was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism. It was this ideology which was responsible for the oppression and murder of theists under several 20th century communist regimes. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods with no inherit moral, political or philosophical baggage.

3. For a long time I didn't believe christianity but I still believed in god. I believed I had a personal relationship with god. Then I talked with some atheist friends and they were successful at opening my eyes to the real truth.

Funny you think you have the truth but you can't convert more jews, muslims and mormons??? I guess none of them/us are buying it. But the jews and muslims happen to be just as stupid as you.

I'm not mad, other than I don't want your god or any god being forced on us. Keep that shit to yourself and we'll get along just fine. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back