Too Smart To Be A Cop?

While I do find it bewildering that they'd screen out applicants with high IQ, I don't like how the article is dripping with bias. It would be better if it stayed objective while citing the concrete facts.

The fact that it had to bring in and assume parts of the Michael Brown case when a trial hasn't even begun... tells me the article in question is not being completely honest. It could have driven the solid facts home sans the stupid assumptions and tinted lens.

At the same time that departments are allowed to reject applicants for being too intelligent they're being forced by the US Dept. of Justice to lower their standards even more in order to find enough blacks and Hispanics who can pass the lowered intelligence threshold to be hired.

This is not good. Lowering standards while having no cap on intelligence would result in a police culture of varied values and outlooks. Lowering standards while simultaneously capping intelligence will result in an actual dumbing down of culture and outlook.

Why would any smart person rely on the opinion of a biased off the charts left wing entity like the "free thought project"?

I do not understand why they would screen out intelligent applicants.

Is it faulty reasoning that an intelligent police officer might exercise more caution and restraint?

Is it faulty reasoning that an intelligent police officer might exercise more caution and restraint?

I cannot understand it either. It seems to me that intelligence would be an asset.

But there are many places in our society that intelligence is not valued.

I cannot understand it either. It seems to me that intelligence would be an asset.

But there are many places in our society that intelligence is not valued.

Two big reasons are 1.) invest in training and then the smart cop leaves for a better job, and 2.) the smart cop has a tougher time identifying with less intelligent colleagues. Think of Deitrich on Barney Miller, talking about opera while everyone else was talking about the Yankees.

What they miss is the upside - higher IQ results in better job performance, producing better results than experience or training, they also miss the better problem solving skills in terms of interpersonal communication and out thinking criminals. Lastly, secure civil service jobs are seen as a bonus in an era of corporate cutbacks so how real the threat of intelligent cops leaving for greener pastures is an open question.

Many of the laws the police are asked to enforce are asinine. Why would the police want an intelligent person questioning these policies?

I gave you the answer

Yeah, you did. You said that only minorities and liberals are stupid. Laughable as that answer may be, my reply still fits.
I didn't say that

Your initial comment was “This should help stop the hiring of white men”.
I replied that there are plenty of stupid white men.
To which you replied:
“Ya, but those are the liberal ones and they don't want to be cops”

So how is that not what you said? I may have used different words, but it is basically what you said.

And if you want to troll the thread, that is fine. But if you actually believe that there are no stupid white men who are conservatives, you are either lying or a fool. I'll let you pick which one.

Forum List

Back