Top 8% Own 85%

This analysis links to the call for 4 percent growth. Considering conventional estimates of the long-term trend growth of the economy, a 4 percent growth rate through the next U.S. president’s first term would go a long way toward closing the gap in output that opened with the collapse of household spending in the Great Recession and has yet to be filled.

How can we move toward this goal? Our research strongly implies that the main problem is on the demand side, not the supply side. The U.S. needs to find a way to boost demand growth by arresting, and hopefully reversing, the dramatic rise of inequality.

The basic argument is exceedingly simple: The economy continues to be held back by insufficient household spending, and if the income share of Americans outside of the top sliver rises, household spending will increase. Policies that raise the minimum wage and reduce the tax burden of low- and middle income-households would help.

In our view, however, the best method to achieve this objective would be to restore wage growth across the income distribution as occurred in the decades after World War II.

http://www.newsweek.com/rising-inequality-holding-back-us-economy-354777

Funny how after every other recession we did get a 4% growth rate why is the Obama's recovery only averaging a little better than an anemic 2% I wonder

Out of control inequality.

I think not

You don't seem to think much at all.

More than you do

Prove how your so called inequality causes anemic growth
with real facts not just your oipnions

Why would you do that? Then you would have more people on welfare expanding the size of government.

If Republicans could gain that much power, we would be cutting many off of welfare too. If you're physically and mentally capable of supporting yourself, you don't get welfare.

Ten percent of $30,000 is $3,000. I doubt if two or three grand would put many on welfare even the way it is now.

Sounds like a good plan to further lower spending and really tank the economy.

Taxing the poor would increase the need for welfare.

No it wouldn't

10 cents on the dollar is not enough to put anyone on welfare

Sorry, but if you make very little 10% is huge.

No it's not. In fact 10% is already the lowest tax bracket so it's already being taken out of most people's pay checks and they are doing OK all that will happen is they won't get a refund check every April

Yes it is. But your claim is so stupid I'm not going to debate it.

This analysis links to the call for 4 percent growth. Considering conventional estimates of the long-term trend growth of the economy, a 4 percent growth rate through the next U.S. president’s first term would go a long way toward closing the gap in output that opened with the collapse of household spending in the Great Recession and has yet to be filled.

How can we move toward this goal? Our research strongly implies that the main problem is on the demand side, not the supply side. The U.S. needs to find a way to boost demand growth by arresting, and hopefully reversing, the dramatic rise of inequality.

The basic argument is exceedingly simple: The economy continues to be held back by insufficient household spending, and if the income share of Americans outside of the top sliver rises, household spending will increase. Policies that raise the minimum wage and reduce the tax burden of low- and middle income-households would help.

In our view, however, the best method to achieve this objective would be to restore wage growth across the income distribution as occurred in the decades after World War II.

http://www.newsweek.com/rising-inequality-holding-back-us-economy-354777

Funny how after every other recession we did get a 4% growth rate why is the Obama's recovery only averaging a little better than an anemic 2% I wonder

I think not

More than you do

I have already given several links to studies.

Well that's what we do over here. In our county (Cuyahoga) we have an 8% sales tax. If you're rich, poor, or anything in between, you have to pay that tax every time you purchase something.

The problem with our taxing system is that people are allowed to vote money out of other peoples pockets. Something is truly wrong with a system like that. It's not a wonder why more Americans don't take spending seriously.

If we all had a dog in the race, perhaps people wouldn't be wanting so much from the federal government. Okay, so maybe not 10%, but what about five or three percent?

If we are all going to rely on things from the government (which I'm against) then wouldn't it be fair if we all paid for it? Why is only half of the country paying the way for the other half?

If the rich would do more job creating, rather than hoarding all the wealth more people would be paying. Since they don't, they obviously want to pay all the taxes.

So the rich put all their money under a mattress?

Of course not they save and invest it which puts all that money back into the economy

Most people still don't have enough to spend. Businesses need customers with money to spend.

Spend on what? Anyone who is paying 10% won't see any change and anyone paying more than a 10% net tax will have more money

Yes a tax on the poor and a break for the rich. Gee, the rich are already doing really well and the economy is slow.

So anyone paying more than a net 10% will have more money and what do you think all those people will do with that extra money?

If Republicans could gain that much power, we would be cutting many off of welfare too. If you're physically and mentally capable of supporting yourself, you don't get welfare.

Ten percent of $30,000 is $3,000. I doubt if two or three grand would put many on welfare even the way it is now.

No it wouldn't

10 cents on the dollar is not enough to put anyone on welfare

Sorry, but if you make very little 10% is huge.

No it's not. In fact 10% is already the lowest tax bracket so it's already being taken out of most people's pay checks and they are doing OK all that will happen is they won't get a refund check every April

Yes it is. But your claim is so stupid I'm not going to debate it.
because you cant.

With a flat tax for the most part people in the lowest tax bracket will not be taking home less that they are now. They just won't get a refund check in April

If the rich would do more job creating, rather than hoarding all the wealth more people would be paying. Since they don't, they obviously want to pay all the taxes.

Of course not they save and invest it which puts all that money back into the economy

Most people still don't have enough to spend. Businesses need customers with money to spend.

Spend on what? Anyone who is paying 10% won't see any change and anyone paying more than a 10% net tax will have more money

Yes a tax on the poor and a break for the rich. Gee, the rich are already doing really well and the economy is slow.

So anyone paying more than a net 10% will have more money and what do you think all those people will do with that extra money?

Did you notice the Bush tax cuts failed to give us a strong economy? I guess you don't learn.

I think not

More than you do

I have already given several links to studies.

Sure you have FYI a graph does not prove that inequality is THE cause of the anemic recovery

Did you notice the Bush tax cuts failed to give us a strong economy? I guess you don't learn.

Bush actually gave everyone a tax cut because he lowered the lowest bracket and that didn't help the so called poor did it?

Well that's what we do over here. In our county (Cuyahoga) we have an 8% sales tax. If you're rich, poor, or anything in between, you have to pay that tax every time you purchase something.

The problem with our taxing system is that people are allowed to vote money out of other peoples pockets. Something is truly wrong with a system like that. It's not a wonder why more Americans don't take spending seriously.

If we all had a dog in the race, perhaps people wouldn't be wanting so much from the federal government. Okay, so maybe not 10%, but what about five or three percent?

If we are all going to rely on things from the government (which I'm against) then wouldn't it be fair if we all paid for it? Why is only half of the country paying the way for the other half?

Which is why we need lower tax rates...so people can keep the money they actually earn, and not send it to politicians who didn't earn it.....

Here's some real numbers for you

A guy making only 25K a year has 57 dollars taken out of his paycheck fir federal income taxes

His weekly gross pay is 481

With a 10% flat tax he will only pay 48 dollars in federal income taxes

He just took home almost 10 dollars more a week

Bush actually gave everyone a tax cut because he lowered the lowest bracket and that didn't help the so called poor did it?

It didn't help the economy either. So your suggestion of further lowering taxes would only add to the debt as it did with Bush. Great plan.

Which is why we need lower tax rates...so people can keep the money they actually earn, and not send it to politicians who didn't earn it.....

What we need is more better paying jobs. A tax break will just add to the debt as it did under bush.

It didn't help the economy either. So your suggestion of further lowering taxes would only add to the debt as it did with Bush. Great plan.

I just showed you how a guy making 25K a year will get a $500 a year raise in take home pay with a flat 10% tax

so you're argument that it will cost the "poor" more is wrong

A guy making only 25K a year has 57 dollars taken out of his paycheck fir federal income taxes

After taxes he makes 10% less. Less spending, economy tanks.

Hey Idiot he pays MORE under the current system and takes home less

He takes home MORE with a 10% flat federal income tax

do you really think that $48 is more than $57

I just showed you how a guy making 25K a year will get a $500 a year raise in take home pay with a flat 10% tax

You are really arguing that somebody who was not taxed before is now richer after being taxed 10%? Geez, I hope you don't bitch about taxing the rich more. I guess it makes them richer so lets go for it. Feel the Bern.

You are really arguing that somebody who was not taxed before is now richer after being taxed 10%? Geez, I hope you don't bitch about taxing the rich more. I guess it makes them richer so lets go for it. Feel the Bern.

Hey idiot he takes home more every week

People live on their take home pay he just won't get a tax refund in April

I hope you are voting for bernie.

Higher taxes make us all richer!

Hey idiot he takes home more every week

People live on their take home pay he just won't get a tax refund in April

Hey idiot, after taxes he is making less.

I hope you are voting for bernie.

Higher taxes make us all richer!

That's funny

Tell me how am I going to be richer if the government takes MORE from me

Forum List

Back