Train Derailment in Seattle Area

Breaking news: Trump was seen at the edge of the tracks just before the train derailed.......More at 11.......

It was not a tight turn. It was about a 35-40 degree left hand turn and then crossed I-5.

Yes it was a very tight turn. Almost 90 degrees. You take that at 80mph and you're going to end up in the woods.

12182017_curve_150004-640x412.jpg
Plus it was going backwards. Always hated that decision to allow that.

That picture is deceptive. Look on Google Earth. It is at most a 45 degree angle.

It was not a tight turn. It was about a 35-40 degree left hand turn and then crossed I-5.

Yes it was a very tight turn. Almost 90 degrees. You take that at 80mph and you're going to end up in the woods.

The train wasn't going backwards. It had an engine in the rear of the train that was not under power. The Engine that was powering the locomotive was in the front.

The locomotive IS the engine. I think you are mixing your terms.

It probably had engines on each end.

That picture is deceptive. Look on Google Earth. It is at most a 45 degree angle.
Still. Law of inertia was not repealed. Track likely pulled out of the ties from the forces.

Still. Law of inertia was not repealed. Track likely pulled out of the ties from the forces.

My wife just heard a report saying they had already tested the train at 80 mph.

It was a brand new rail line.

Actually no. You're both wrong. The tracks themselves had recently been upgraded, but had been there and in use for many years and was frequently used by Amtrak

that's what I just said. I don't think "line" means "tracks". I think it means "route". I took his post to mean entirely new railway bed, everything. Which we both know it isn't.

Actually your post that I had quoted only said No it wasn't. It was new for passenger trains. It had already been in use for freight . I was pointing out that passenger trains had been using the tracks all along, even before the upgrades

I agree & is how I had taken the other comment as being brand new everything, but it wasn't

This was the inaugural run of the rail for passenger service, it was used by the military and freight trains. Sound transit purchased the line and they upgraded it for rail service where it wasn’t suitable before.

Yes, but only that section will be used for passenger rail only as shown in the map in your link. North of that, and to the south of it will be for all trains. Todays crash was at or very near the southern end/junction

The train wasn't going backwards. It had an engine in the rear of the train that was not under power. The Engine that was powering the locomotive was in the front.

Not a passenger train. Probably dead heading back unpowered.

Like I posted earlier, I've done 90 but it's straight. They just didn't slow when they were supposed to.

What do you mean "back"?

It left Seattle and Tacoma before the crash.

Like I posted earlier, I've done 90 but it's straight. They just didn't slow when they were supposed to.
if we just had "More Cow Bell" this tragic accident would of never happened

What do you mean "back"?

Cars and engines sometimes don't have a job to do where they are at, so are brought to a place where they are needed. Possible that extra engine was such.

What do you mean "back"?

Cars and engines sometimes don't have a job to do where they are at, so are brought to a place where they are needed. Possible that extra engine was such.

I live next to a rail line. It is not unusual to have our freight trains pass by that have engines at both ends.. It is also very common on commuter rail lines both here and in Europe.

Forum List

Back