Trump administration memo calls for ending Michelle Obama's girls education program

Oh BOO HOO HOO!

The "thanks" rating is for the excellent taste shown by sharing an Ella song.

I don't really agree with the sentiment as applied to the OP's theme and remarks.

Posting an Ella video is the only way Henry can get some class into his posting.

On the OP --- it's kind of instructive that the Administration refers to "Let Girls Learn" as a "brand name". :rolleyes:

I don't think Rump has any conception of any kind of value that doesn't involve some kind of transaction.

Maybe that's the issue. It's not Trump brand.

Vindictiveness?

Pettiness?

These are no longer virtues to regressives?

After 8 years of blaming Bush for everything under the sun, and then 8 more years continuing to blame him and undermine his agenda, now bed wetters are apoplectic their shit is being served to them?

Suck it. You brought it upon yourselves for electing a hyper partisan leftist who couldn't get his own party to vote on his budgets, yet the gridlock was all the GOP's fault?

I hope the obozo's are prosecuted and erased from history bolshevik style.

"If you don't like it, well, uh um uh uh um, go win some elections"
-Saint Barack Obama

I'm guessing you're unable to actually address the topic and are reduced to repeating the same pathetic memes?
What is there to address? Elections have consequences. If you don't like it, well, get out there and win some elections.
I mean, your welcome to participate, but it's gonna be from the back of the bus.

"If you don't like it, well, uh um uh uh um, go win some elections"
-Saint Barack Obama

I'm guessing you're unable to actually address the topic and are reduced to repeating the same pathetic memes?
What is there to address? Elections have consequences. If you don't like it, well, get out there and win some elections.
I mean, your welcome to participate, but it's gonna be from the back of the bus.

Yet...the back of the bus held the front seat elites' feet to the fire on the budget.

Vindictiveness?

Pettiness?

These are no longer virtues to regressives?

After 8 years of blaming Bush for everything under the sun, and then 8 more years continuing to blame him and undermine his agenda, now bed wetters are apoplectic their shit is being served to them?

Suck it. You brought it upon yourselves for electing a hyper partisan leftist who couldn't get his own party to vote on his budgets, yet the gridlock was all the GOP's fault?

I hope the obozo's are prosecuted and erased from history bolshevik style.

A tad extreme dontcha think?

The only reason I can think of for this is: vindictiveness and pettiness. It wasn't controversial, it had considerable private financial support. It targeted serious issues for girls in developing countries such as girls being forced into child marriages and having to leave school. Good grief. Is the Trump Ego so fragile it can't let a good program continue as "Let Girls Learn"?

Trump memo outlines end to Michelle Obama's girls education program - CNNPolitics.com

The Trump administration is discontinuing a signature girls education initiative championed by former first lady Michelle Obama, according to officials.

The "Let Girls Learn" program, which she and President Barack Obama started in 2015 to facilitate educational opportunities for adolescent girls in developing countries, will cease operation immediately, according to an internal document obtained by CNN.

While aspects of the initiative's programming will continue, employees have been told to stop using the "Let Girls Learn" name and were told that, as a program unto itself, "Let Girls Learn" was ending.
"Moving forward, we will not continue to use the 'Let Girls Learn' brand or maintain a stand-alone program," read an email sent to Peace Corps employees this week by the agency's acting director Sheila Crowley.

" 'Let Girls Learn' provided a platform to showcase Peace Corps' strength in community development, shining a bright light on the work of our Volunteers all over the world," Crowley wrote. "We are so proud of what 'Let Girls Learn' accomplished and we have all of you to thank for this success."

but...then...

Hours after CNN reported on an internal document advising administration employees that the education initiative would not be maintained, the White House said the program had not changed.
"There have been no changes to the program," said Kelly Love, a White House spokeswoman, referring to the "Let Girls Learn" initiative, which Obama launched in 2015.

so what is going on?

Tina Tchen, who served as Obama's chief of staff during her time in the White House, said the end of "Let Girls Learn" was a disappointment given a global recognition that educating young women could help improve conditions across developing nations.

"We felt it was important to have a branded campaign that drew attention to those issues, and we found that when we did it, we had extraordinary support," Tchen said. "I think it's unfortunate to not continue with the branded campaign. We think that this is an issue that has bipartisan support, it's really not a Republican or Democratic issue."

Tchen said the benefits of the program, which drew upon private sector support as well as government dollars, outweighed the costs. She noted that a development program launched by President George W. Bush to combat global HIV/AIDS, PEPFAR, had been maintained and expanded by the Obama administration.

...In October of last year, the Obama administration attempted to reinforce "Let Girls Learn" ahead of a new administration. The White House announced $5 million in private sector commitments toward the programs administered under the "Let Girls Learn" banner, bringing the total financial pledges to more than $1 billion for programs in 50 countries.

Sorry, not American. Sympathy not found. Let's pledge that much to have American girls learn more. :)

This is just cutting waste. :dunno: Quite possible the money was used to perform female genital mutilation.

Regardless, it's not for US girls, therefore US taxpayers should not be paying for it.

Last edited:
Well, it wasn't a very long article so it shouldn't have been that strenuous.

That's the point, it was not all that long, but was strenuous.

My read on that is "total financial pledges" more then 1 billion. That typically means pledges from other countries to support the initiative.

So we are both assuming now, aren't we? Seems to me that CNN didn't want to mention actual taxpayer cost, but instead made only one ambiguous mention of costs.

Why isn't it all children? There are plenty of initiatives and aid programs that address all children in developing countries. Girls face particular problems and drop out of education, are denied education or forced into child marriages at a much higher rate then boys. Unlike boys - in many countries there gender alone is the reason for different treatment.

Okay, so wouldn't it be beneficial to educate both genders to stop the problem instead of one?

This is vote buying and nothing more. You stated that few of us ever knew of the program, and that is true. I never heard of it until now,. But if Trump started a similar program called Educate Boys Now, I bet the entire country would hear about it--and not in a positive way either. It would be called sexist, bigoted, and an insult to women around the world.

The only reason I can think of for this is: vindictiveness and pettiness. It wasn't controversial, it had considerable private financial support. It targeted serious issues for girls in developing countries such as girls being forced into child marriages and having to leave school. Good grief. Is the Trump Ego so fragile it can't let a good program continue as "Let Girls Learn"?

Trump memo outlines end to Michelle Obama's girls education program - CNNPolitics.com

The Trump administration is discontinuing a signature girls education initiative championed by former first lady Michelle Obama, according to officials.

The "Let Girls Learn" program, which she and President Barack Obama started in 2015 to facilitate educational opportunities for adolescent girls in developing countries, will cease operation immediately, according to an internal document obtained by CNN.

While aspects of the initiative's programming will continue, employees have been told to stop using the "Let Girls Learn" name and were told that, as a program unto itself, "Let Girls Learn" was ending.
"Moving forward, we will not continue to use the 'Let Girls Learn' brand or maintain a stand-alone program," read an email sent to Peace Corps employees this week by the agency's acting director Sheila Crowley.

" 'Let Girls Learn' provided a platform to showcase Peace Corps' strength in community development, shining a bright light on the work of our Volunteers all over the world," Crowley wrote. "We are so proud of what 'Let Girls Learn' accomplished and we have all of you to thank for this success."

but...then...

Hours after CNN reported on an internal document advising administration employees that the education initiative would not be maintained, the White House said the program had not changed.
"There have been no changes to the program," said Kelly Love, a White House spokeswoman, referring to the "Let Girls Learn" initiative, which Obama launched in 2015.

so what is going on?

Tina Tchen, who served as Obama's chief of staff during her time in the White House, said the end of "Let Girls Learn" was a disappointment given a global recognition that educating young women could help improve conditions across developing nations.

"We felt it was important to have a branded campaign that drew attention to those issues, and we found that when we did it, we had extraordinary support," Tchen said. "I think it's unfortunate to not continue with the branded campaign. We think that this is an issue that has bipartisan support, it's really not a Republican or Democratic issue."

Tchen said the benefits of the program, which drew upon private sector support as well as government dollars, outweighed the costs. She noted that a development program launched by President George W. Bush to combat global HIV/AIDS, PEPFAR, had been maintained and expanded by the Obama administration.

...In October of last year, the Obama administration attempted to reinforce "Let Girls Learn" ahead of a new administration. The White House announced $5 million in private sector commitments toward the programs administered under the "Let Girls Learn" banner, bringing the total financial pledges to more than $1 billion for programs in 50 countries.

Bro, how do you expect $T to give the corporations a 20% tax break if he has to pay for that education stuff and global warming stuff? Even the seniors and having trouble holding onto SS.

My read on that is "total financial pledges" more then 1 billion. That typically means pledges from other countries to support the initiative.

So we are both assuming now, aren't we? Seems to me that CNN didn't want to mention actual taxpayer cost, but instead made only one ambiguous mention of costs.

Why isn't it all children? There are plenty of initiatives and aid programs that address all children in developing countries. Girls face particular problems and drop out of education, are denied education or forced into child marriages at a much higher rate then boys. Unlike boys - in many countries there gender alone is the reason for different treatment.

Okay, so wouldn't it be beneficial to educate both genders to stop the problem instead of one?

This is vote buying and nothing more. You stated that few of us ever knew of the program, and that is true. I never heard of it until now,. But if Trump started a similar program called Educate Boys Now, I bet the entire country would hear about it--and not in a positive way either. It would be called sexist, bigoted, and an insult to women around the world.

Uhhhmmmmm......... if "nobody ever heard of it" ----------------- then how does it "buy votes"?

Oopsie.

For the record I did hear of it, heard MO talk about it. But it never in a million years occurred to me that it was a ploy to "buy" my vote. Nor did it. Guess I missed out on the paranoia gene. :(

Uhhhmmmmm......... if "nobody ever heard of it" ----------------- then how does it "buy votes"?

Oopsie.

For the record I did hear of it, heard MO talk about it. But it never in a million years occurred to me that it was a ploy to "buy" my vote. Nor did it. Guess I missed out on the paranoia gene. :(

It was the intention but not the result. She had no idea that the MSM wouldn't run with it, but apparently it must have at some point since you heard about it.

Oopsie.

It was the intention but not the result. She had no idea that the MSM wouldn't run with it, but apparently it must have at some point since you heard about it.

:lmao:

Dood you are desperate.

::: scrape ::: ::: scrape ::: ::: scrape :::

Then find the actual taxpayer cost and post it.

That could be happening - through other programs. Why can't a program address a particular need? Must it be all encompassing? There are millions of programs and initiatives around the world and within this country targeting specific areas, populations, needs. Is this a bad thing?

It's not vote buying in the least. It's addressing a very real problem.

Oh...and here are some more initiatives and programs that address specific problems.
Boys Farm Character and Responsibility Program
My Brother’s Keeper: A New White House Initiative to Empower Boys and Young Men of Color
Shaun Harper leading new national initiative to help boys and men of color succeed | Penn GSE
Educating Boys for Success
Welcome to Raising Boys
A Bold Initiative for Children - Action Plan on Children in Adversity
Working with Men and Boys to End Violence Against Women and Girls
Learning How to be REAL Fathers and Husbands
Plan's

Then find the actual taxpayer cost and post it.

That could be happening - through other programs. Why can't a program address a particular need? Must it be all encompassing? There are millions of programs and initiatives around the world and within this country targeting specific areas, populations, needs. Is this a bad thing?

It's not vote buying in the least. It's addressing a very real problem.

Oh...and here are some more initiatives and programs that address specific problems.
Boys Farm Character and Responsibility Program
My Brother’s Keeper: A New White House Initiative to Empower Boys and Young Men of Color
Shaun Harper leading new national initiative to help boys and men of color succeed | Penn GSE
Educating Boys for Success
Welcome to Raising Boys
A Bold Initiative for Children - Action Plan on Children in Adversity
Working with Men and Boys to End Violence Against Women and Girls
Learning How to be REAL Fathers and Husbands
Plan's

Most of your links have nothing to do with taxpayer funded programs. The others are (like the girl program) about minorities instead of gender. A few were Obama's programs and have nothing to do with Republicans.

But hey........I give you credit for trying.

"I'd like to teach the world to sing.......in perfect harmony!" But not when you are 20 trillion in debt. This is a non-necesary program that needs to be eliminated by the government, and continue on using private donations such as yours which I'm willing to bet you never sent a dime to.

but...then...

so what is going on?

It's cool to let girls learn.....but isn't kind of sexist to exclude boys?

6d7363b68bc3816ad6cb771aa537c55cffbacff446dd36790e5e591367ac1dfa.jpg

but...then...

so what is going on?

It doesn't matter if the program is good or bad. If Obama created, it has to be reversed. This is American politics, one step forward and two steps back. Expect the next Democratic president to do the same thing.

Better to fund bombs then education.
Funny how Obama could fund education overseas but not help education here....very interesting!

Funny. If it were true.

7 Education Initiatives Led by Michelle Obama - The Edvocate
Could have spent those MILLIONS spent overseas here....they didn't.

The money the US spends on foreign aid is actually very small - something like 1/10 of a percent of the overall budget.
Foreign aid is one of the best investments of tax payer.

Better to fund bombs then education.
Funny how Obama could fund education overseas but not help education here....very interesting!

Funny. If it were true.

7 Education Initiatives Led by Michelle Obama - The Edvocate
Could have spent those MILLIONS spent overseas here....they didn't.

The money the US spends on foreign aid is actually very small - something like 1/10 of a percent of the overall budget.
Foreign aid is one of the best investments of tax payer.

Foreign aid is designed to keep us out of war and have influence on other countries. This program does neither.

Since Michele wasn't elected, since she has no right to direct spending tax dollars on anything, and since she is gone...

What's the complaint again?

Some feedback on this...

Trump Axes Michelle Obama's Let Girls Learn Program, Twitter Goes Ballistic

“Donald can’t get anything accomplished so he tears down everyone else’s accomplishments like a grade school bully,” one commenter wrote.

“Will be replaced by Melania Trump’s, ‘Marry For Money’ program,” joked another.

And another pointed out that unlike the former first lady’s involvement in initiatives for healthier school lunches — which has also been targeted for elimination by the new administration — this program has gotten much less attention: “I bet everyone outraged by the Let Girls Learn news never even knew it existed…”

They tried healthier lunch programs, and what they found is that kids were throwing away good food or otherwise not eating until they left school and make it to Burger King.

As I pointed out - that program had it's share of controversy.

Let Girls Learn did not.

Well I have a controversy right now: I scanned the article (couldn't read the entire thing because it was too boring and repetitive) and I could not see a taxpayer price on it. The closest I found was this paragraph:

In October of last year, the Obama administration attempted to reinforce "Let Girls Learn" ahead of a new administration. The White House announced $5 million in private sector commitments toward the programs administered under the "Let Girls Learn" banner, bringing the total financial pledges to more than $1 billion for programs in 50 countries.

Now unless I'm reading this wrong, this article suggests the American taxpayer is paying almost a billion dollars for people across the world. This is what we are doing when we are 20 trillion dollars in debt?

Another thorn in my side: Why is it Let Girls Learn and not all children learn including boys? It's not that it would make spending US tax dollars any better, but it would't implicate a vote buying motive behind it.
Yeah you are reading it wrong, like the usual conservative, you are too stupid to comprehend what's in plain sight....

In October of last year, the Obama administration attempted to reinforce "Let Girls Learn" ahead of a new administration. The White House announced $5 million in private sector commitments toward the programs administered under the "Let Girls Learn" banner, bringing the total financial pledges to more than $1 billion for programs in 50 countries

Some feedback on this...

Trump Axes Michelle Obama's Let Girls Learn Program, Twitter Goes Ballistic

“Donald can’t get anything accomplished so he tears down everyone else’s accomplishments like a grade school bully,” one commenter wrote.

“Will be replaced by Melania Trump’s, ‘Marry For Money’ program,” joked another.

And another pointed out that unlike the former first lady’s involvement in initiatives for healthier school lunches — which has also been targeted for elimination by the new administration — this program has gotten much less attention: “I bet everyone outraged by the Let Girls Learn news never even knew it existed…”

They tried healthier lunch programs, and what they found is that kids were throwing away good food or otherwise not eating until they left school and make it to Burger King.

As I pointed out - that program had it's share of controversy.

Let Girls Learn did not.

Well I have a controversy right now: I scanned the article (couldn't read the entire thing because it was too boring and repetitive) and I could not see a taxpayer price on it. The closest I found was this paragraph:

In October of last year, the Obama administration attempted to reinforce "Let Girls Learn" ahead of a new administration. The White House announced $5 million in private sector commitments toward the programs administered under the "Let Girls Learn" banner, bringing the total financial pledges to more than $1 billion for programs in 50 countries.

Now unless I'm reading this wrong, this article suggests the American taxpayer is paying almost a billion dollars for people across the world. This is what we are doing when we are 20 trillion dollars in debt?

Another thorn in my side: Why is it Let Girls Learn and not all children learn including boys? It's not that it would make spending US tax dollars any better, but it would't implicate a vote buying motive behind it.
Yeah you are reading it wrong, like the usual conservative, you are too stupid to comprehend what's in plain sight....

In October of last year, the Obama administration attempted to reinforce "Let Girls Learn" ahead of a new administration. The White House announced $5 million in private sector commitments toward the programs administered under the "Let Girls Learn" banner, bringing the total financial pledges to more than $1 billion for programs in 50 countries

And like a typical commie leftist, you're too much of a genius to explain it to me.

Forum List

Back