Trump could use emergency powers to build wall, Dem congressman says

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Is this 3D chess by the Democrats? If so, I will actually give them some credit for doing right by America, but also allowing a much needed security structure.

The irony of it is, if the Democrats were smart they would have gotten on board with the Wall, it would have been politically advantageous for them. Really, who else is a far-left Open Borders voter going to vote for if not Democrats? They aren't going to support Trump in 2020 anyways even if the Dems supported 80% of his policiies.

So, the Dems should have given the wall, appeased moderates, and Independents. It would have been an easy sell to their own citizens, the MSM wouldn't have criticized them as they don't to hurt their chances. They could stand on the mantle of National Security and get rid of the moniker that they only care about foreign immigrants rather than Americans. There is an enduring quality to sometimes admit that your opponent was right. You could say "once all the facts were laid out and we spoke to border guards, we understand the challenges, and a wall addresses them".

Now, they will lose this fight. The gofundme page to me screamed that Americans want a wall. I don't care about polls or pundits, people never lie with their wallets.

The new Democratic chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said Sunday that President Donald Trump is empowered to declare a national emergency as a mechanism for constructing a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, but warned that such a maneuver would likely be met with a legal challenge.

“Unfortunately, the short answer is yes,” Rep. Adam Smith of Washington told host George Stephanopoulos during an interview on ABC’s “This Week,” noting that national emergency declarations have been used previously to build facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The presidential powers invoked in declaring a national emergency are clear. He could simply ignore any court challenge.

As I say often to Democrats, be careful what you wish for.

It amazes me how other presidents didn’t have trouble getting funding for a wall in the past.

Is this 3D chess by the Democrats? If so, I will actually give them some credit for doing right by America, but also allowing a much needed security structure.

The irony of it is, if the Democrats were smart they would have gotten on board with the Wall, it would have been politically advantageous for them. Really, who else is a far-left Open Borders voter going to vote for if not Democrats? They aren't going to support Trump in 2020 anyways even if the Dems supported 80% of his policiies.

So, the Dems should have given the wall, appeased moderates, and Independents. It would have been an easy sell to their own citizens, the MSM wouldn't have criticized them as they don't to hurt their chances. They could stand on the mantle of National Security and get rid of the moniker that they only care about foreign immigrants rather than Americans. There is an enduring quality to sometimes admit that your opponent was right. You could say "once all the facts were laid out and we spoke to border guards, we understand the challenges, and a wall addresses them".

Now, they will lose this fight. The gofundme page to me screamed that Americans want a wall. I don't care about polls or pundits, people never lie with their wallets.

The new Democratic chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said Sunday that President Donald Trump is empowered to declare a national emergency as a mechanism for constructing a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, but warned that such a maneuver would likely be met with a legal challenge.

“Unfortunately, the short answer is yes,” Rep. Adam Smith of Washington told host George Stephanopoulos during an interview on ABC’s “This Week,” noting that national emergency declarations have been used previously to build facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq.

And next week, he could use emergency powers to make give up your first born son. There is no emergency situation on the border; there is no threat to national security, and utilizing “emergency powers” when there is no emergency smacks of a banana republic.

Soon they'll start floating around Trump declaring martial law to see how the sheep base reacts to it. I suspect they'll show full support.

How about a National Security to stop the spending of money to foreign governments. I think someone quoted $12B alone in this budget. Or how about, "we will start resending money to foreign governments as soon as the wall is completed"

Can you imagine how quickly the wall would be built? You would have many politicians with their own hands building it if it would save a day or two.

I think there's a fair chance that if Trump did declare a national emergency in order to build his wall, it could cost him getting re-elected in 2020, as too many people might see that as unwarranted. Which at the moment it is. Same deal with the Dems if they overdo the investigations and obstructionist tactics and especially a Trump impeachment in the House if believed by most to be unfounded. They (Dems) could cost themselves losing to Trump in 2020 and losing the House too. There's that big bunch of independent voters out there that really don't like either party at all, so whoever those voters are the most pissed off at is likely to lose in 2020.

Soon they'll start floating around Trump declaring martial law to see how the sheep base reacts to it. I suspect they'll show full support.
Did you say that when Obama declared it a problem?

Obama mimics Bush on the border fence
Construction of a wall was completed under Obama, and he's poised to spend millions more on sensors and cameras
Justin Elliott
President Obama traveled to El Paso, Texas, this week and delivered an immigration speech that was widely viewed as an appeal to Hispanic voters.

While there's virtually no prospect of comprehensive immigration reform getting through the current Congress, the Obama administration has been emphasizingenforcement and border security. One under-examined aspect of the administration's policy is the continuation of Clinton- and Bush-era efforts to build a physical -- and virtual -- fence along the U.S.-Mexico border. In El Paso, Obama actually touted the fact that his administration had completed the fence. So we thought it was a good time to check in on the status of the fence, whether it's working, and what's planned for the future.”

Obama mimics Bush on the border fence

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...order-fence-went-from-optimism-to-1688076.php
The last time the United States tried to build a virtual border wall, it wasn’t exactly a big success

Another attempt of a virtual wall was tried by the Obama admin in 2015, but the results can’t be found. Obviously not very well. Wonder how much was spent that time?

I think there's a fair chance that if Trump did declare a national emergency in order to build his wall, it could cost him getting re-elected in 2020, as too many people might see that as unwarranted. Which at the moment it is. Same deal with the Dems if they overdo the investigations and obstructionist tactics and especially a Trump impeachment in the House if believed by most to be unfounded. They (Dems) could cost themselves losing to Trump in 2020 and losing the House too. There's that big bunch of independent voters out there that really don't like either party at all, so whoever those voters are the most pissed off at is likely to lose in 2020.

It comes down to the argument that he and his government makes. In my eyes, from what I've read and heard, this is a legitimate national security issue, as legitimate as they come. Just as cheap Chinese steel being dumped or Huawei G5 networks. If he sells this as it should be sold, (Scalise does a good job with on this debate), Americans will respect this decision.

Another man was killed, this one a son of a fireman captain. Officer Singh was killed, he himself, a LEGAL immigrant. It's offensive to me to allow this to happen in your country. That's my take.

If a crime happens in a nation by one of its citizens against another, that's a family matter, per se. Someone illegally entering your country, in and of itself is an International issue. Then they enter and commit more crimes? The border is too porous, it's too long to defend, patrols need a wall, it's impossible to have drones alone for simple surveillance.

Just build it and you will see a large decrease. In areas with walls already, the numbers have decreased dramatically.

The presidential powers invoked in declaring a national emergency are clear. He could simply ignore any court challenge.

The President is bound by the courts. He is a President, not an Emperor, no matter how much his worshippers which he were so.

Immigration is not akin to war. The SCOTUS would almost certainly strike down such an authoritarian grab for power.

It comes down to the argument that he and his government makes. In my eyes, from what I've read and heard, this is a legitimate national security issue, as legitimate as they come. Just as cheap Chinese steel being dumped or Huawei G5 networks. If he sells this as it should be sold, (Scalise does a good job with on this debate), Americans will respect this decision.

Another man was killed, this one a son of a fireman captain. Officer Singh was killed, he himself, a LEGAL immigrant. It's offensive to me to allow this to happen in your country. That's my take.

If a crime happens in a nation by one of its citizens against another, that's a family matter, per se. Someone illegally entering your country, in and of itself is an International issue. Then they enter and commit more crimes? The border is too porous, it's too long to defend, patrols need a wall, it's impossible to have drones alone for simple surveillance.

Just build it and you will see a large decrease. In areas with walls already, the numbers have decreased dramatically.

Immigrants coming from Central America is not as legitimate a national security issue as, say, Pearl Harbor or 9/11, which is what you're arguing.

Immigrants coming from Central America is not as legitimate a national security issue as, say, Pearl Harbor or 9/11, which is what you're arguing.
But - a national security risk nonetheless.

BK IF the idiot in the WH says he has the right to build the wall WTF doesn't he do it and stop 1000's from suffering?

I agree. There was also a teacher killed in Nov and 3 others
Young Texas teacher killed by illegal immigrant with prior record in Thanksgiving day hit and run

Illegal immigrant killed 3 after 'sanctuary' release from custody, ICE says

Last edited:

The President is bound by the courts. He is a President, not an Emperor, no matter how much his worshippers which he were so.

Immigration is not akin to war. The SCOTUS would almost certainly strike down such an authoritarian grab for power.

Take a look at presidential powers legally invoked in a declaration of a national emergency. An "authoritarian power grab" has nothing to do with it.

BK IF the idiot in the WH says he has the right to build the wall WTF doesn't he do it and stop 1000's from suffering?

Because the Democrats ordered a pissing contest. Trump is merely obliging them.

Because the Democrats ordered a pissing contest. Trump is merely obliging them.
Sorry wrong answer If the pos could do it he would AND if anybody is a pisser it's that pos who pissed all over other republicans running for president, and those many that no longer work for him

At this point, Trump should go ahead and do this.

I don't see how else this issue gets resolved. If Democrats cave, then they get voted out. If Trump caves, then he loses his re-election.

But - a national security risk nonetheless.

Then you could say that virtually anything is a national security risk.

Billy said that the President can ignore the courts. He cannot. We live in a Republic, not a dictatorship.

Forum List

Back