Trump is going to FORCE democrats to work! Or adjourn them!

Pro-forma sessions of Congress are a sham and a dereliction of duty. Trump is doing what he needs to get the job done. Congress has a choice-either come back to work and do your job, or you are adjourned.
Really?
I guess you missed that whole Supreme Court case which told Obama that he couldn't make recess appointments during Senate Pro-forma sessions.

Hmmm as i recall posters here at USMB actually said that Obama's recess appointments during pro-forma sessions were impeachable offenses.

But now that your Dear Leader is doing it.....suddenly you love them.
I don't love them and was never a fan of them. Congress is either in session or it isn't. Give these nominees an up or down vote and move on.
Hmmmm were you saying that during the 250 days that the Senate refused to consider Obama's nominee to the Supreme Court?

This is Trump's big ask.

Aren't any of you paying attention?

What are you all talking about right now?

Is it recess appointments by any chance?

And the fact that Congress isn't doing it's job?

What brought this conversation about?

Was it Trump controlling the narrative by making a simple declarative sentence?

Has he used any power to do anything? No?

And yet, here we are discussing the do-nothing Congress not getting their job done.

The guy is a genius.
He sure used more than one simple declarative sentence to tell us how Congress, well the Democrats, are keeping his nominees waiting two years or more. He also threatened to use power he hasn't got to adjourn Congress and make recess appointments, which are temporary.

Yeah, we're TALKING about it.

And if he just said "Congress needs to move on confirming my nominees", do you think that thread would have more than two replies? I don't. It would be completely ignored.

Just like Trump saying he Was going to quarantine New York City... did he do it? No.

But he drew attention to the problem...and the next day other state governments were interdicting New York, New Jersey and Louisiana residents and ensuring they weren't infected and spreading the virus to other states.

Making these outlandish claims ensures they are not ignored...on the contrary...they spread like wildfire. He is not overstepping his authornarrative.mNG he is considering an action.

He is using TDS to get his message out and to control the narrative.
Right- Trump is just threatening to circumvent the Constitution in order to get his way. He hasn't actually done it yet.
My understanding is he has the legal authority under certain circumstances to do what he says. If it is legally possible, how could it be circumventing the Constitution?
First of all- Trump flat out announced that the reason he was doing this was to circumvent the Constitutional requirements that his appointments be confirmed by the Senate. Remember- we all learned this during the Obama Presidency when the Senate refused to confirm Obama's nominations- including Garland.
One of the things Obama did to try to get around the Senate refusing to consider his nominees was to make recess appointments when the Senate was not actually meeting but having the same kind of pro-forma meetings that they are having now.
The Senate went to the Supreme Court to fight that- and won.
Trump's attempt to circumvent the Senate and the Constitution is to claim he can adjourn the Senate. The claim is based upon very narrow language in the Constitution and is as legally suspect as Obama's arguments when he made recess appointments.

What is really weird is that the Republicans control the Senate- and Trump has had no problem with the Senate ramming through his judicial nominees- even those who didn't have a day of trial experience. Who are these nominees that Trump can't get the Senate to vote on?

And why isn't Trump doing what he has been doing for the last three years to avoid confirmation hearings- using temporary appointments?
Better get back to work or trump is going to make you pay! Ha love this guy
Face it - nothing would make you happier than if Trump declared himself President for Life.

Trump will force democrats to get there ass to work! Or else!

God I love this guy!

This was just announced live. Link is coming
THIS is wonderful news. The liberal lunatics that post on these threads are NOT going to like this!
So tell me how you felt about Obama's use of recess appointment to get around Senate confirmations?

Or how the Senate refused to consider his Supreme Court nominee?

You are not part of the solution....you are part of the problem.

No time for weaklings.....if we are to take America back we must support Trump.......all the fukin airborne way. hehheh
I'm no fan of chopping off my nose to spite my face.

:dunno:

What’s the downside? Congress went on vacation during a national emergency.
Trump has gone golfing 6 times during the national emergency.

So he's gonna shut down Congress in the middle of a pandemic crisis, just so he can get his officials in without a vote? Trump is going further and further off the rails in his power grabs.

Care to tell us what they are doing for the PEOPLE now?

Trump Says He Will Use His Authority To Adjourn Both Houses of Congress
Apr 15, 2020 · TRUMP SAYS HE WILL USE HIS AUTHORITY TO ADJOURN BOTH CHAMBERS OF CONGRESS TO PAVE WAY FOR RECESS APPOINTMENTS OF ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS. What to Read Next. 42 Goods That Are in Higher Demand Than Ever During the Coronavirus Crisis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Can the president adjourn congress
Yes, the constitution gives the president the power to adjourn congress. However, this power can only be used when the upper and lower houses can not agree on a time to adjourn themselves.
What date did the House and Senate decide to adjourn then?
GAME OVER
When has the Senate not agreed on a time to adjourn themselves?

I doubt your Dear Leader will do this- but if he does- I hope the Senate ignores him.

Let Trump take the Senate to court.
He will make the appointments and the nominees will assume their roles. It will be up to the Senate to sue him. I don't see that happening, but stranger things have occurred.....
Or the Senate will ignore him completely and announce that they are indeed in session.

Which will leave each of those positions in legal limbo.

This is Trump's big ask.

And yet, here we are discussing the do-nothing Congress not getting their job done.

The guy is a genius.
He sure used more than one simple declarative sentence to tell us how Congress, well the Democrats, are keeping his nominees waiting two years or more. He also threatened to use power he hasn't got to adjourn Congress and make recess appointments, which are temporary.

And if he just said "Congress needs to move on confirming my nominees", do you think that thread would have more than two replies? I don't. It would be completely ignored.

Just like Trump saying he Was going to quarantine New York City... did he do it? No.

But he drew attention to the problem...and the next day other state governments were interdicting New York, New Jersey and Louisiana residents and ensuring they weren't infected and spreading the virus to other states.

Making these outlandish claims ensures they are not ignored...on the contrary...they spread like wildfire. He is not overstepping his authornarrative.mNG he is considering an action.

He is using TDS to get his message out and to control the narrative.
Right- Trump is just threatening to circumvent the Constitution in order to get his way. He hasn't actually done it yet.
My understanding is he has the legal authority under certain circumstances to do what he says. If it is legally possible, how could it be circumventing the Constitution?
First of all- Trump flat out announced that the reason he was doing this was to circumvent the Constitutional requirements that his appointments be confirmed by the Senate. Remember- we all learned this during the Obama Presidency when the Senate refused to confirm Obama's nominations- including Garland.
One of the things Obama did to try to get around the Senate refusing to consider his nominees was to make recess appointments when the Senate was not actually meeting but having the same kind of pro-forma meetings that they are having now.
The Senate went to the Supreme Court to fight that- and won.
Trump's attempt to circumvent the Senate and the Constitution is to claim he can adjourn the Senate. The claim is based upon very narrow language in the Constitution and is as legally suspect as Obama's arguments when he made recess appointments.

What is really weird is that the Republicans control the Senate- and Trump has had no problem with the Senate ramming through his judicial nominees- even those who didn't have a day of trial experience. Who are these nominees that Trump can't get the Senate to vote on?

And why isn't Trump doing what he has been doing for the last three years to avoid confirmation hearings- using temporary appointments?
Better get back to work or trump is going to make you pay! Ha love this guy
Face it - nothing would make you happier than if Trump declared himself President for Life.
He will get a 3rd term, his first was obstructed

God I love this guy!

THIS is wonderful news. The liberal lunatics that post on these threads are NOT going to like this!
So tell me how you felt about Obama's use of recess appointment to get around Senate confirmations?

Lol obama? Haha what a joke haha

Apr 15, 2020 · TRUMP SAYS HE WILL USE HIS AUTHORITY TO ADJOURN BOTH CHAMBERS OF CONGRESS TO PAVE WAY FOR RECESS APPOINTMENTS OF ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS. What to Read Next. 42 Goods That Are in Higher Demand Than Ever During the Coronavirus Crisis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Yes, the constitution gives the president the power to adjourn congress. However, this power can only be used when the upper and lower houses can not agree on a time to adjourn themselves.
GAME OVER

I doubt your Dear Leader will do this- but if he does- I hope the Senate ignores him.

He will make the appointments and the nominees will assume their roles. It will be up to the Senate to sue him. I don't see that happening, but stranger things have occurred.....
Or the Senate will ignore him completely and announce that they are indeed in session.

Courts will side with trump, because he needs the appointees

So he's gonna shut down Congress in the middle of a pandemic crisis, just so he can get his officials in without a vote? Trump is going further and further off the rails in his power grabs.

Care to tell us what they are doing for the PEOPLE now?
Well lets see- the House and the Senate have passed legislation and Trump has signed it. Now Trump is insisting that his name be on the checks that Congress passed the legislation for.

God I love this guy!

You really don't have any clue what happened past yesterday do you?

God I love this guy!

This has really triggerd you! Lol trump should expand the supreme court and put 8 more conservative’s in there lol hahah

~~~~~~~~~~~~​
GAME OVER

Here is what the Supreme Court said about recess appointments:
"We hold that, for purposes of the Recess Appointments Clause, the Senate is in session when it says it is, provided that, under its own rules, it retains the capacity to transact Senate business."

Here is what Mitch McConnel said at the time:
Minority Leader Mitch McConnell agreed with the ruling: "The President made an unprecedented power grab by placing political allies at a powerful federal agency while the Senate was meeting regularly and without even bothering to wait for its advice and consent

God I love this guy!

This has really triggerd you! Lol trump should expand the supreme court and put 8 more conservative’s in there lol hahah
No- it hasn't triggered me- frankly its just on par for course for Trump.

What I find amusing is the reaction of the Trumpsters here- who just a few years ago were calling for Obama's impeachment for his attempts to bypass the Senate with recess appointments- but who applaud what Trump is suggesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​
GAME OVER

Here is what the Supreme Court said about recess appointments:
"We hold that, for purposes of the Recess Appointments Clause, the Senate is in session when it says it is, provided that, under its own rules, it retains the capacity to transact Senate business."

Here is what Mitch McConnel said at the time:
Minority Leader Mitch McConnell agreed with the ruling: "The President made an unprecedented power grab by placing political allies at a powerful federal agency while the Senate was meeting regularly and without even bothering to wait for its advice and consent
But we have never in the history of America seen a party hold up appointees like democrats have. The man deserves his cabinet! And the supreme court will side with Trump

Article II, Section 3, Clause 2;
...he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper;

What are the "extraordinary occasions" Trump can cite? What are the "disagreement
(s) between" the House and/or Senate that Trump could cite?

McConnell is getting things done on the same timelines as he has permitted over the last five or so years. Business is being conducted in the Senate per the rules of the Senate. If Trump doesn't like it, tough shit! The Orange Idiot has no Constitutional grounds to adjourn both Houses just to make recess appointments as he hopes to do! He's not a fucking King!

(Can we say Merrick Garland?)

Don’t you think it’s pathetic that you still reference the 2016 election as a way to “own the libs”? You can’t even handle defending republicans. All you have is the usual But Hillary! bullshit.

What's pathetic is you ficken loons whining for 3 years, and making shit up.

What did we make up? We didn’t write the article. This is Trump himself.

For Christ sake, you're trying to tell me you loons haven't made shit up over the last three years? Every fricken day it has been something new.

Um let me ask you this. What criticism of Trump has not been fabricated? What examples do you have that are justified condemnation of Trump?

Seriously, guessing you screwed up your question. I would say 10% has not been fabricated.

What’s the downside? Congress went on vacation during a national emergency.
Somebody like that motherfucking commie, Barrack Obama coming in and pointing to Trump's actions as precedent and royally fucking us over.

Do not let ANY of them get away with thumbing their noses at the Constitution.

What is amusing about your post is that President Obama tried to do pretty much the same thing and the Supreme Court slapped him down.

This is what McConnell said then:

That is exactly what Trump is trying to do.

This is Trump's big ask.

The guy is a genius.

Making these outlandish claims ensures they are not ignored...on the contrary...they spread like wildfire. He is not overstepping his authority by SAYING he is considering an action.

He is using TDS to get his message out and to control the narrative.Do
I see what you're saying. Do you think it will really mobilize the Democrat Senators to rush right over and confirm all his appointments? The "narrative" is being argued by people like you and me and a bunch of hired pundits on tv, which has no effect at all, imo. If he isn't serious, he's just distracting us.
I think he is serious. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Bringing a focus to the issue applies political pressure. It's easy to obstruct when no one is paying attention. With this Trump is playing a win/win hand. Either he gets his appointees or he gets to blame democrats for holding them up.

Forum List

Back