Trump tells court he had no duty to 'support' the Constitution as president

It's all over the internet.

Here is Trump's filing: DocumentCloud

See page 13 for the "support" argument.

There's an even dumber argument on page 8:

Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment does not prohibit someone from running for office—it prohibits someone from holding office, and even then, only if Congress chooses not to lift the prohibition.

:laughing0301: :spinner: :auiqs.jpg:
Wow! Looks like Trump wants to be able to run even if he is disqualified to hold office, so he can bilk his follower's money in donations.

Ludicrous!

This all hurts the legitimate primary candidates running for the position.

The quote by Trump's attorneys is in the OP link.

"The Presidential oath, which the framers of the Fourteenth Amendment surely knew, requires the President to swear to 'preserve, protect and defend' the Constitution — not to 'support' the Constitution," said the filing by Trump's attorneys. "Because the framers chose to define the group of people subject to Section Three by an oath to 'support' the Constitution of the United States, and not by an oath to 'preserve, protect and defend' the Constitution, the framers of the Fourteenth Amendment never intended for it to apply to the President."
Arguable, but false.

Any lie to stop Trump.

Lying doesn't violate the constitution.

Russia collusion.

A republican investigation but not against the constitution anyway.

Stormy daniels

It's not against the constitution for Trump to pay off women he had sex with.

Hunters laptop is a fake

Saying that isn't against constitution.

GLOBAL WARMING...for the love of God GLOBAL WARMING.

Where is global warming in the constitution?

Top secret documents

What about them? What do they have to do with the constitution?

Trump falsified the value of mara lago to get a loan

Yes. It was fraud but it doesn't violate the constitution.

When will they ever learn?..when willllll they eeeeever learn?
You aren't very good at this.

Wow! Looks like Trump wants to be able to run even if he is disqualified to hold office, so he can bilk his follower's money in donations.

Ludicrous!

This all hurts the legitimate primary candidates running for the position.
Thanks for answering my question!

Former President Donald Trump is arguing to a judge in Colorado that he was not required to "support" the Constitution as president, reported Brandi Buchman from Law & Crime.

The argument came as he seeks to dismiss a lawsuit filed in the state by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), seeking to have him disqualified from the ballot in the state under the 14th Amendment. The Insurrection Clause of the amendment prohibits those who have "engaged in insurrection" against the United States from holding a civil, military, or elected office without unless a two-thirds majority of the House and Senate approve.

But Trump's lawyers are arguing that the specific language of the Constitution argues that this requirement only applies to people in offices who are bound to "support" the Constitution — and the presidency is not one of those offices.

This is totally bizarre! If the President of the United States isn't required to support the Constitution - then who is? What do you think?
So he didn't pay attention to the oath he made in Jan. 2017?

With his hand on the Bible, Trump swore the following oath:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

You expect that orange moron to understand what he was told to recite? :heehee:

Any lie to stop Trump.

Russia collusion.
Stormy daniels
Hunters laptop is a fake
GLOBAL WARMING...for the love of God GLOBAL WARMING.
Top secret documents
Trump falsified the value of mara lago to get a loan

When will they ever learn?..when willllll they eeeeever learn?
I see you have not read the indictments, and yet think you speak with some kind of imagined authority on the subject.

Come on lefties, do you really believe this left wing spin that twisted statements by Trump lawyers? Things must be getting desperate out there.

Former President Donald Trump is arguing to a judge in Colorado that he was not required to "support" the Constitution as president, reported Brandi Buchman from Law & Crime.

The argument came as he seeks to dismiss a lawsuit filed in the state by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), seeking to have him disqualified from the ballot in the state under the 14th Amendment. The Insurrection Clause of the amendment prohibits those who have "engaged in insurrection" against the United States from holding a civil, military, or elected office without unless a two-thirds majority of the House and Senate approve.

But Trump's lawyers are arguing that the specific language of the Constitution argues that this requirement only applies to people in offices who are bound to "support" the Constitution — and the presidency is not one of those offices.

This is totally bizarre! If the President of the United States isn't required to support the Constitution - then who is? What do you think?
Poor Lakookta....thirsting for every bit of news about your Trumpy just like jimboliar.

With his hand on the Bible, Trump swore the following oath:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

What do you know about the Bible atheist?

Forum List

Back