Trump thinks he can change the Constitution via EO

No upside for Trump I meant

Sure there is, he's getting his base fired up right before the mid terms on his signature issue, whether he follows through on this EO or not, the timing is purely political.

I thought it was kind of funny that during the interview he played coy about being surprised that Axios knew about the EO, I'd be willing to bet he's the one that ordered it to be leaked.

I disagree with the calculus. Tinkering with the Constitution is disastrous. The hardcore Trump supporters may be on board...suburban soccer moms? No.

Of course you do but then again you probably disagreed with the same "calculus" when Trump was doing the same "fire up the base on immigration" dance during the 2016 campaign, right? Seems to have worked for him then and I suspect the Presidents political advisors are in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode.

.. and there is no "Tinkering with the Constitution" going on, if he does actually do this EO (big IF) then it's just going to force SCOTUS to provide an interpretation of the 14th Amendment, which is something that is well within the purview of SCOTUS according to the current standards of judicial review, or do you not agree with SCOTUS having the authority to do judicial review?

He lost the PV and won the EC by 80,000 votes in 3 states.
Yeah, yeah, I know, he lost at Checkers, while winning the Chess game, all the useful idiots from Crime Family-D never stop whining about it.

The fact remains that he won the Presidency and Crime Family-R won the House based in part on immigration "red meat" rhetoric, which means it worked, so anybody that's surprised he's trying it again isn't paying attention to reality.

I hope they do try to overturn the Constitution by EO. What’s next? No more 1st Amendment?
LOL, Nobody is trying to "overturn the Constitution by EO", if it's issued all it will do is force the Judicial Branch to rule on the question, Trump and his gang of political buzzards know that.

It’s a textbook definition of overturning the Constitution by EO.

Or at least trying to.

At least that is how the Dems will portray it. I only hope it happens before the election

So the 2nd has been challenged a 10,000 times plus but not this part of the 14th interesting ..

Yeah. But we should expect it. Our representatives and talking heads clearly aren't competent enough to really understand the tenor and context of the very document they swore an oath to protect.

Hillary got 3M more votes than the blob

And a team can get more hits than the other and still lose a baseball game.

Runs matter in baseball, EV's (States) matter in Presidential Elections.

True.

It’s also true that HRC got 3M more votes than the blob. Why this triggers you guys is hilarious.

As for the political calculation of overturning the Constitution via EO, the margin was razor thin to start with. Thinking this will increase the numbers of votes you’ll get is dumb; thinking this will bind your margin is equally daft

What makes us respond is when your side states it as if it means something. It's just as stupid as saying Wyoming's Senator represents less people than NY's Senator and both have the same vote.

It's how the system was designed.

You don't think it will do anything, but Trump isn't trying to rally people like you.

No...it’s reality and you’ve been programmed that you need not accept reality.

What a useless and undefendable statement.

Your own bias blinds you to anything else but "trump sucks, fuh fuh fuh, trump supporters suck, fuh fuh fuh"

Well, he does. But your programming won’t allow you to accept facts. For example, he said Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Is that happening?

Your move

So, they cannot be arrested if they commit a crime?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
They have already committed a crime by entering and/or remaining in the country illegally.

While that is true, it did not answer the question.

One can break a law and still submit to the jurisdiction and "pledge" allegiance to the govt. That's the whole basis for civil disobedience. You contend a law is unfair, but still accept the punishment for breaking it.

The question literally is whether breaking the law to enter the US permanently deprives an illegal alien from choosing to stop allegiance to his home country and pledge it to the US. I think that question is not answered.
------------------------------------ don't know if it applies but the 'mexicans' have designed Voting so that 'dual citizen' imported mexican third worlders can Vote in both 'mexico' and the USA Ben . ---------- just a comment .

Birthright citizenship is an illegal immigration magnet.
If both of the parents are breaking our immigration laws then their offspring should not be allowed birthright citizenship.
View attachment 225697
Children dont have a choice. That if the people want to change the Constitution, there is a process and that process is not an EO.

First Trump's EO will be tested by the Supreme Court, and then the congress can work on a constitutional amendment.

Congress isn't going to do anything, they're a bunch of cowards that are obsessed with handing over their Constitutional Authority and political culpability to the other 2 branches. The dickweeds in Congress can't even agree on common sense immigration reforms because they're too afraid of voter reaction and you think they're going to attempt a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDEMENT regarding birthright citizenship? .

If the EO is issued, SCOTUS will rule on its Constitutionality and that will be that until the next court challenge.

True.

It’s also true that HRC got 3M more votes than the blob. Why this triggers you guys is hilarious.

As for the political calculation of overturning the Constitution via EO, the margin was razor thin to start with. Thinking this will increase the numbers of votes you’ll get is dumb; thinking this will bind your margin is equally daft

What makes us respond is when your side states it as if it means something. It's just as stupid as saying Wyoming's Senator represents less people than NY's Senator and both have the same vote.

You don't think it will do anything, but Trump isn't trying to rally people like you.

Your own bias blinds you to anything else but "trump sucks, fuh fuh fuh, trump supporters suck, fuh fuh fuh"

Well, he does. But your programming won’t allow you to accept facts. For example, he said Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Is that happening?

Your move
Nobody thought he would act on birthright citizenship either.....

Sure there is, he's getting his base fired up right before the mid terms on his signature issue, whether he follows through on this EO or not, the timing is purely political.

I thought it was kind of funny that during the interview he played coy about being surprised that Axios knew about the EO, I'd be willing to bet he's the one that ordered it to be leaked.

I disagree with the calculus. Tinkering with the Constitution is disastrous. The hardcore Trump supporters may be on board...suburban soccer moms? No.

Of course you do but then again you probably disagreed with the same "calculus" when Trump was doing the same "fire up the base on immigration" dance during the 2016 campaign, right? Seems to have worked for him then and I suspect the Presidents political advisors are in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode.

.. and there is no "Tinkering with the Constitution" going on, if he does actually do this EO (big IF) then it's just going to force SCOTUS to provide an interpretation of the 14th Amendment, which is something that is well within the purview of SCOTUS according to the current standards of judicial review, or do you not agree with SCOTUS having the authority to do judicial review?

Yeah, yeah, I know, he lost at Checkers, while winning the Chess game, all the useful idiots from Crime Family-D never stop whining about it.

The fact remains that he won the Presidency and Crime Family-R won the House based in part on immigration "red meat" rhetoric, which means it worked, so anybody that's surprised he's trying it again isn't paying attention to reality.

I hope they do try to overturn the Constitution by EO. What’s next? No more 1st Amendment?
LOL, Nobody is trying to "overturn the Constitution by EO", if it's issued all it will do is force the Judicial Branch to rule on the question, Trump and his gang of political buzzards know that.

Or at least trying to.

At least that is how the Dems will portray it. I only hope it happens before the election
-------------------------- TRUMPS 'EO' is not serious . The 'EO' talk is simply a tactic designed by the TRUMP for votes Candy .

Trump plans to sign executive order ending birthright citizenship: Axios

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

It will work to get more votes from people who have the right to vote.

I hate EOs. I think they are bullshit. I think the 14th Amendment is sloppy but clear. It needs to be amended.

BUT, Obama opened the EO door despite our yelling and screaming, so a little payback is in order.

Hopefully, the EO bullshit will stop forever after this.

The EO has been used since this nation was founded but now it's bad because Oblama did it...Yeah that makes sense..
Obama circumvented national immigration law with DACA via an executive action.

Or at least trying to.

-------------------------- TRUMPS 'EO' is not serious . The 'EO' talk is simply a tactic designed by the TRUMP for votes Candy .
I highly doubt that.

So, they cannot be arrested if they commit a crime?

They have already committed a crime by entering and/or remaining in the country illegally.

While that is true, it did not answer the question.

One can break a law and still submit to the jurisdiction and "pledge" allegiance to the govt. That's the whole basis for civil disobedience. You contend a law is unfair, but still accept the punishment for breaking it.

The question literally is whether breaking the law to enter the US permanently deprives an illegal alien from choosing to stop allegiance to his home country and pledge it to the US. I think that question is not answered.

The question has nothing to do with allegiance as the 14th does not speak to that.

It speaks of “jurisdiction”, the question is if being subject to our laws is the as being subject to the jurisdiction.

The whole thing will come down to how SCOTUS views that word, and whether intent of the Amendment is worthy of consideration. But that is a dangerous road to travel in my opinion.

LOL, What "textbook" are you reading? and who was the publisher Marvel or DC?

Yes, that is how the "Dems" will portray it, which also isn't a surprise because the "Dems" are incapable of portraying anything honestly and accurately and their base is incapable of understanding and objectively evaluating anything more complicated than a recipe for whole wheat toast.

True.

Your move

2 Supreme Court Justices he promised.

Check.

LOL, What "textbook" are you reading? and who was the publisher Marvel or DC?

Yes, that is how the "Dems" will portray it, which also isn't a surprise because the "Dems" are incapable of portraying anything honestly and accurately and their base is incapable of understanding and objectively evaluating anything more complicated than a recipe for whole wheat toast.

Ok

Source: CNBC.COM original story on Axios
Trump wants to sign an order to end birthright citizenship, setting up a constitutional battle

"President Donald Trump is planning to terminate birthright citizenship, according to a report by Axios, potentially setting up another stand-off between the U.S. president and the courts.

Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said Monday, according to Axios which used the exclusive interview to promote a new documentary series called "Axios on HBO."

"This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting 'anchor babies' and 'chain migration'," Axios said in its report.

Trump's comments come as he continues to push a hard anti-immigration line ahead of the midterms this month, and many experts will highlight that it's not within the president's power to change birthright citizenship.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump reportedly said, declaring he can do it by using an executive order.

Trump said he had run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed, despite likely controversy. However, during the same interview Trump expressed surprise that Axios knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one," he said."

Let the fun, games and gnashing of teeth begin.

This should be an interesting court battle if President Twitter follows through with the Executive Order since the courts have never ruled on the question of whether or not the 14th Amendment applies to illegal immigrants or foreigners with temporary legal status.

Personally I don't think he's going to win this battle but I guess we'll see.

"May you live in interesting times" -- Chinese Curse

I hope not.

The idea that a president, any president can overturn a constitutional amendment by EO should scare the shit out of us.
____

Issue Executive Order based on his interpretation of the Constitution---which has strong support in the rational legal community. As unusual, the Courts will decide if his construction is correct. Its what they are there for.

Just like Obama did with his immigration orders---except Obama went ahead and issued them after openly admitting they were unconstitutional. ("I have a pen and a phone.")

Hypocrisy. Its what Democrat/Marxist do.
I dont recall Obama removing or altering an amendment by EO. But feel free to make false comparisons.

True.

Your move

2 Supreme Court Justices he promised.

Check.

Mexico...wall...are they paying for it?

Trump wants to sign an order to end birthright citizenship, setting up a constitutional battle

"President Donald Trump is planning to terminate birthright citizenship, according to a report by Axios, potentially setting up another stand-off between the U.S. president and the courts.

Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said Monday, according to Axios which used the exclusive interview to promote a new documentary series called "Axios on HBO."

"This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting 'anchor babies' and 'chain migration'," Axios said in its report.

Trump's comments come as he continues to push a hard anti-immigration line ahead of the midterms this month, and many experts will highlight that it's not within the president's power to change birthright citizenship.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump reportedly said, declaring he can do it by using an executive order.

Trump said he had run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed, despite likely controversy. However, during the same interview Trump expressed surprise that Axios knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one," he said."

This should be an interesting court battle if President Twitter follows through with the Executive Order since the courts have never ruled on the question of whether or not the 14th Amendment applies to illegal immigrants or foreigners with temporary legal status.

Why do you think he has waited until he placed TWO conservative judges on the SC? 1 replaced a conservative and another replaced a leftist....hopefully by time this comes up before the SC Ginsburg will be dead and we will have a concrete conservative majority to make this clear.
dont assume conservative judges will rule the way you want

Last edited:

I hope not.

The idea that a president, any president can overturn a constitutional amendment by EO should scare the shit out of us.

He can't. What he can do is declare martial law and suspend the Constitution.

Forum List

Back