Trump to women: If you're harassed, quit.

whats your point?
Trump, in context, apparently implied that the woman shouldn't sue for harassment, just leave.
It looks like you guys/gals already hit the bottom but desire to go beyond that level.
Do not be so f'ing desperate to praise a sexist to get ahead and then years later call them out for being one.
Call out the truth to begin with. Get a lawyer and go after them if you get harassed. Don't go along with it for years and then says oops I was mistreated!
As allegations against his old friend piled up, Trump told NBC’s Chuck Todd on July 24 that, “Some of the women that are complaining, I know how much he's helped them…And when they write books….and say wonderful things about him….[N]ow, all of a sudden, they're saying these horrible things about him.”[quote/]
I didn't bring this up. It's stupid and not really news. And certainly no shocker that Trump would advocate a solution that carries no repercussions for the harasser. Up and leaving in a huff isn't all that easy sometimes, or worth it. These other women came forward to support whats-her-name, who, per usual, wasn't being believed.

So if you don't leave, You stay? I'm not seeing that as a great career move. This issue is to bring it up to HR or anyone in the company, you'd get labeled and then your work environment would be terrible. It would be a tough situation for an employee to handle. Leaving after getting evidence and then suing seems to be a good bet.

Only if you don't mind your sexual history, manner of dress, etc. being publicly scrutinized. Most of us have pasts that we'd like to keep in the past. That kind of public humiliation harms marriages and children. For me, I decided it was better to quit and move on. There was no need to put my family through that, or myself. I believe that's why Elizabeth left Fox quietly. I have no proof, only gut feeling, so not making accusations. I just believe she didn't want to deal with harassment, but didn't want to deal with the drama and mud that would hurt her husband's and children's feeling and cause a strain on the family. Sometimes it is just not worth it. We are not all made of strong stuff, not all made to be whistle blowers.

whats your point?
Trump, in context, apparently implied that the woman shouldn't sue for harassment, just leave.
It looks like you guys/gals already hit the bottom but desire to go beyond that level.
Do not be so f'ing desperate to praise a sexist to get ahead and then years later call them out for being one.
Call out the truth to begin with. Get a lawyer and go after them if you get harassed. Don't go along with it for years and then says oops I was mistreated!
As allegations against his old friend piled up, Trump told NBC’s Chuck Todd on July 24 that, “Some of the women that are complaining, I know how much he's helped them…And when they write books….and say wonderful things about him….[N]ow, all of a sudden, they're saying these horrible things about him.”[quote/]
I didn't bring this up. It's stupid and not really news. And certainly no shocker that Trump would advocate a solution that carries no repercussions for the harasser. Up and leaving in a huff isn't all that easy sometimes, or worth it. These other women came forward to support whats-her-name, who, per usual, wasn't being believed.

So if you don't leave, You stay? I'm not seeing that as a great career move. This issue is to bring it up to HR or anyone in the company, you'd get labeled and then your work environment would be terrible. It would be a tough situation for an employee to handle. Leaving after getting evidence and then suing seems to be a good bet.

Only if you don't mind your sexual history, manner of dress, etc. being publicly scrutinized. Most of us have pasts that we'd like to keep in the past. That kind of public humiliation harms marriages and children. For me, I decided it was better to quit and move on. There was no need to put my family through that, or myself. I believe that's why Elizabeth left Fox quietly. I have no proof, only gut feeling, so not making accusations. I just believe she didn't want to deal with harassment, but didn't want to deal with the drama and mud that would hurt her husband's and children's feeling and cause a strain on the family. Sometimes it is just not worth it. We are not all made of strong stuff, not all made to be whistle blowers.
I think MOST of us, not tv stars at a major news network, can "blow the whistle" without it being public. There is a Human Rights Commission or something--that handles these issues and I don't believe it would be anyone's business except the employee and employer. At least that's how it used to be.

I think MOST of us, not tv stars at a major news network, can "blow the whistle" without it being public. There is a Human Rights Commission or something--that handles these issues and I don't believe it would be anyone's business except the employee and employer. At least that's how it used to be.

Sexual harassment lawsuits are public records. Some companies have a "policy" of confidentiality but it has no legal teeth and often HR "accidentally" violates the policy with no repercussions. Depositions, where the harassers lawyer gets to ask you about your sexual history, are not sealed. An angry boss can tell whoever will listen all about it. He can make it known, throughout the industry, what you did 20 years ago. If anyone checks the public records during due diligance, the harasser's smear will be validated. Believe me, I looked into it. There is no confidentiality for the accuser unless the company ensures it. My boss was the sole owner of an LLC, and I know he would not protect my privacy.

I don't know if it is state by state or not. I am in Louisiana (Napoleanic Law) if that makes any difference.

Sexual harassment lawsuits are public records. Some companies have a "policy" of confidentiality but it has no legal teeth and often HR "accidentally" violates the policy with no repercussions. Depositions, where the harassers lawyer gets to ask you about your sexual history, are not sealed. An angry boss can tell whoever will listen all about it. He can make it known, throughout the industry, what you did 20 years ago. If anyone checks the public records during due diligance, the harasser's smear will be validated. Believe me, I looked into it. There is no confidentiality for the accuser unless the company ensures it. My boss was the sole owner of an LLC, and I know he would not protect my privacy.

I don't know if it is state by state or not. I am in Louisiana (Napoleanic Law) if that makes any difference.
Overcoming the blacklisting from making a complaint isn't easy and when you stand on truth you do make a lot of enemies along the way but looking back I would do it all over again. I would not want to regret that I did not fight it.

Overcoming the blacklisting from making a complaint isn't easy and when you stand on truth you do make a lot of enemies along the way but looking back I would do it all over again. I would not want to regret that I did not fight it.

I work with children in the Bible Belt. I admire what you did. I just decided the potential damage was too great for me. Two of my immediate family are politicians who face elections every 6 years and 4 years. I do not want to be responsible for their loss.

I work with children in the Bible Belt. I admire what you did. I just decided the potential damage was too great for me. Two of my immediate family are politicians who face elections every 6 years and 4 years. I do not want to be responsible for their loss.
A very wise lady once told me "pick your battles wisely". We have to do that here.

A very wise lady once told me "pick your battles wisely". We have to do that here.

I believe when one door closes another opens. My experience wasn't really traumatic. I was just pissed. The worst I had to do was swallow my righteous pride. In the end, I came out way better than if I'd have stayed. A new adventure opened up for me, one I never would have risked taking if the job under the lecher had been secure and comfortable. The adventure was fabulous! I am much better off now than if I'd have sucked it up and taken it, and better off than if I'd have dug my heels in and fought it. My only lingering feelings of doubt are in regards to the string of women in my former position since then. I hope one of them punched him!

Well, some women don't have such luxuries to go out and find another job. They need their jobs. They have children to feed and care for. He is wrong for saying such things. I'm sick and tired of his BS when it comes to women!

I can agree that sometimes what is considered "sexual" harassment is quite silly in some instances. In a REAL sexual harassment situation though, he is wrong for suggesting the women should find other jobs. He is a ridiculous doofus sometimes.

I was thinking of an investigation by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. That is not public, but how one would take a case to them is not at all clear from their website. Perhaps you're right that the only course is to sue in civil court. Years ago, a law firm I worked for was handling such a case and I just know the attorneys were dealing with the EEOC.

I was thinking of an investigation by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. That is not public, but how one would take a case to them is not at all clear from their website. Perhaps you're right that the only course is to sue in civil court. Years ago, a law firm I worked for was handling such a case and I just know the attorneys were dealing with the EEOC.

One can go through the EEOC but they do not slap a gag order on the company. The EEOC route can lead to disciplinary action against the company and the harasser, but one would still need to sue in court for compensation and/or damages.

He could have said stay with the job and put up with it? He could have said pull out an UZI and wipe out your boss in one bullet stream. Instead, he gave sensible advice such as quiting. That is what most people do when they are bothered on their job. They find new ones.

Forum List

Back