Trump wants to eliminate income tax, but replace it with tariffs on imported goods.

We have more employed now than in any time in US history.

As the early 80s demonstrate, inflation can be much, much worse. Reagan faced 12% annual inflation. We're facing about 3.3%.
In dead end jobs with limited room for advancement, limited availability of income potential, zero retirement benefits and the necessity of dual income to afford to raise a family.

I made $15 an hour twenty five years ago...and it wasn't enough then when a loaf of bread was a quarter and a decent card could be had for a thousand bucks.

The trajectory we are on is completely unsustainable.

I see no alternative other than rebuilding sustainable manufacturing jobs here and rebuilding a blue collar middle class.

If you have an alternative solution that ISN'T Americans will just have to devolve into poverty... I'd be happy to entertain it.

We do have inflation. The entire world does thanks to CoVid. Do you want more with Trumps new tariff plan?
We have become resistant to tough solutions.

A person could go buy a brand new car today...with a warranty...and that would be a short term easy solution...but, with that easy solution, you get a seven year note at 9% interest, full coverage and gap insurance payments and by the time you own it, it's virtually worthless...

...or you can suffer for awhile, ride the bus, save your money, buy a crappy car, save your money, sell your crappy car and buy a better car...until eventually if you want, you can buy that new car with cash...but you won't...cuz it's not worth the money.

That's what we're looking at here. Some short term pain to gain longer term prosperity.

That's a good trade. A gamble that I think the younger generation is ready to take.

If you have a better solution... I'd be happy to entertain it.

The “rest of china” are the poor people manning those assembly lines that you’re so desperate to bring to those country. Why?
No. Industrial china is not 1 billion strong

The US is competing with about 300-400 million chinese

The rest are not involved in exports

Yeah, but you just can’t outrun stupid, can you?
I must have. You are the one suffering, unless this is another case of whiney trumpers, suffering for somebody else, again. I suspect that to be the case.

In dead end jobs with limited room for advancement, limited availability of income potential, zero retirement benefits and the necessity of dual income to afford to raise a family.

I made $15 an hour twenty five years ago...and it wasn't enough then when a loaf of bread was a quarter and a decent card could be had for a thousand bucks.

The trajectory we are on is completely unsustainable.

I see no alternative other than rebuilding sustainable manufacturing jobs here and rebuilding a blue collar middle class.

If you have an alternative solution that ISN'T Americans will just have to devolve into poverty... I'd be happy to entertain it.

And how would massive tariffs fix that? About 41 million jobs are tied to trade. And tariffs would hurt that profoundly.

We'd be doubling the cost of all imports. Every imported avocado, piece of clothing, car, truck, wooden plank, scrap of colbalt, iPhone or power tool would cost double.

How would this fix the 'unsustainability'?

I’m not

What gives you that idea?
Then what’s the desired outcome? You jack up tariffs for cheap Chinese goods to the point people don’t buy them. Where do Americans get their cheap manufactured goods then? You guys never shut up about wanting Americans to manufacture this crap, so why would you want us to be the replacement for cheap Chinese labor?

Then what’s the desired outcome? You jack up tariffs for cheap Chinese goods to the point people don’t buy them. Where do Americans get their cheap manufactured goods then? You guys never shut up about wanting Americans to manufacture this crap, so why would you want us to be the replacement for cheap Chinese labor?
We could manufacture some of that in America again

It would involve fewer workers making a higher salary

And more robots

But even that means more jobs for American building and maintaining the machines

And all of that means more skills for American workers and a weaker economy for china

Naturally all the production will not return to America

India and SE Asia will take much of the action also

And more robots

But even that means more jobs for American building and maintaining the machines

And all of that means more skills for American workers and a weaker economy for china

Alsoplusstoo, fewer blood sucking bureaucrats and armed feds.

And more robots

Robots are extremely expensive. Who pays for all of this?

Oh goody. What are Americans going to cut back on to pay for their more expensive consumer products?
We’ll manage

Particularly Americans who are liberated from being on welfare and now have a decent job again

Forum List

Back