Trumpism: This is what PUSHBACK looks like

That's probably the biggest reason I so wish there could be a strong and viable third party in the middle. Theoretically, it would prevent each of the two whacked-out "major" parties from doing what they're doing - appealing mostly to the most rabid elements of their base. Theoretically.

To varying degrees, I've been invested in that battle most of my life. At this point, I'm convinced it won't happen unless we change the way we do elections. Unfortunately, having two dominant parties, and the lesser-of-two-evils nonsense that goes with it, is baked into our system.
I don't think anything of substance changes unless and until we get money out of politics. As long as the two "major" parties control that, we're stuck.

"Get money out of politics". First we have to figure out what that even means.
It’s means Campaign Finance Reform. It takes millions of dollars to run a campaign to get elected and then to get re-elected. Politicians become professional beggars and deal makers to get funding for their campaigns. Lobbyists and superpacs and big donors then become an essential part of the game.

I don't think anything of substance changes unless and until we get money out of politics. As long as the two "major" parties control that, we're stuck.
The question is, how is that possible?
Publicly-funded elections. Term limits.

So you think businesses won't give these politicians inside investment tips? What happens to middle-aged politicians once they decide to leave politics? How about those who are voted out? They get these "consulting" jobs for 300K a year. What value do they have? They still rub elbows with the people that are still in politics.

While I'm sure as hell no fan of Trump, or many of his fans, I think I'm understanding this whole thing more now. Unfortunately, I think it's pretty clear the Democratic Party hasn't learned a fucking thing.

As people like Matthews and Carville and Bloomberg and Manchin try to sound the alarm bells for the party, it's clear that the party has been taken over by the loonies who insist that PC and Identity Politics are at the core of the party's worldview.

To put this as succinctly as I can, I think Trumpism is PUSHBACK against years and years of weaponized PC and Identity Politics. It's a primal scream of pent-up frustration. Burn it down, While much of it is pretty ugly to me, I do understand it, because I don't think that much of what the hardcore leftists who are in control of the party is actually American liberalism. I was called a racist for being against the ACA.

I warned about it long before Trump came down the elevator. I just didn't know how strong it would be.

June 23, 2013:
Always nice to see pushback against the PC Police.

November 14, 2015:
Spin & deflect for the PC-Protected religion, and you'll get the pushback you deserve. Tough shit. Be responsible for your words.

July 27, 2013:
Looks like the PC Police are seeing that their phony "you're a racist" schtick isn't scaring some folks like it used to. It's still relatively effective, but the pushback is getting stronger. Hopefully the momentum will continue, and they'll have to actually engage in intellectually honest conversation for a change.

This doesn't mean that the Democrats will lose in November. I sure don't know. But I think I do understand this.

Sources:
Post 199: Should Dean's life be ruined for saying the N-word 30-40-50 years ago?
Post 49: The French people have some serious balls
Post 135: How Obama Poisoned Race Relations in America
I believe that is incorrect. tRumpism is the last gasp of the "old white guy" demographic. Without the Russian assistance and Comey torpedoing the Clinton campaign days before the election he never would have happened.

He's an aberration.

I too believe generation played into a lot of it.

'Publicly funded' doesn't take the money out of politics. It just puts the existing government in charge of distributing the money for politics. I'm not seeing how that's an improvement. And it could make matters much worse. It essentially puts the existing regime in charge of deciding who is allowed to challenge it politically.

'Publicly funded' doesn't take the money out of politics. It just puts the existing government in charge of distributing the money for politics. I'm not seeing how that's an improvement. And it could make matters much worse. It essentially puts the existing regime in charge of deciding who is allowed to challenge it politically.
The government should be responsible for setting up and enforcing the rules of the game to make sure the playing field is as fair as possible. They are the league and the officials. Not the managers and players

The government should be responsible for setting up and enforcing the rules of the game to make sure the playing field is as fair as possible. They are the league and the officials. Not the managers and players

Right. But the problem is, if you put government in charge of financing elections, one of the "teams" is making the rules. Any chance they'll tilt the rules to favor themselves?

While I'm sure as hell no fan of Trump, or many of his fans, I think I'm understanding this whole thing more now. Unfortunately, I think it's pretty clear the Democratic Party hasn't learned a fucking thing.

As people like Matthews and Carville and Bloomberg and Manchin try to sound the alarm bells for the party, it's clear that the party has been taken over by the loonies who insist that PC and Identity Politics are at the core of the party's worldview.

To put this as succinctly as I can, I think Trumpism is PUSHBACK against years and years of weaponized PC and Identity Politics. It's a primal scream of pent-up frustration. Burn it down, While much of it is pretty ugly to me, I do understand it, because I don't think that much of what the hardcore leftists who are in control of the party is actually American liberalism. I was called a racist for being against the ACA.

I warned about it long before Trump came down the elevator. I just didn't know how strong it would be.

June 23, 2013:

November 14, 2015:
Spin & deflect for the PC-Protected religion, and you'll get the pushback you deserve. Tough shit. Be responsible for your words.

July 27, 2013:
Looks like the PC Police are seeing that their phony "you're a racist" schtick isn't scaring some folks like it used to. It's still relatively effective, but the pushback is getting stronger. Hopefully the momentum will continue, and they'll have to actually engage in intellectually honest conversation for a change.

This doesn't mean that the Democrats will lose in November. I sure don't know. But I think I do understand this.

Sources:
Post 199: Should Dean's life be ruined for saying the N-word 30-40-50 years ago?
Uh.....how long do you expect the "Silent Majority" to remain silent???

June 23, 2013:

November 14, 2015:

July 27, 2013:

Sources:
I have no idea!

June 23, 2013:

November 14, 2015:

July 27, 2013:

Sources:

Define "Silent Majority".

Right. But the problem is, if you put government in charge of financing elections, one of the "teams" is making the rules. Any chance they'll tilt the rules to favor themselves?
well yeah, that’s the tricky thing with campaign reform... the teams playing the game also make the rules... Problem is both sides that are making the rules are up to their necks in donors and deals so how do we get them to fix the system by biting the hands that feed them? Term limits and regulating PACs and lobbyists could help... I think the public would overwhelmingly support many reforms, we just need a few courageous legislators to engage a very public campaign and layout a smart plan.

Have things changes so much that Nixon is viewed 'moderate' in hindsight here?

~S~

Maybe. Nixon would be considered a RINO today. He started the EPA, OSHA and the EEOC. This would be horrifying to the Libertarian Cult who thinks that we should just let businesses exploit workers and consumers.
Such a fucking commie and you don't even know it.

Who is exploiting the business for a risk-free, steady paycheck?

June 23, 2013:

November 14, 2015:

July 27, 2013:

Sources:
I have no idea!
Funny, now answer the question.

Have things changes so much that Nixon is viewed 'moderate' in hindsight here?

~S~

Maybe. Nixon would be considered a RINO today. He started the EPA, OSHA and the EEOC. This would be horrifying to the Libertarian Cult who thinks that we should just let businesses exploit workers and consumers.
Such a fucking commie and you don't even know it.

Who is exploiting the business for a risk-free, steady paycheck?

Joe is a commie. I think he can identify a commie... but commies always lie.

Democrats will not beat Trump but I believe they have a path to the Senate and will keep the House.

The only candidate with any shot of beating Trump is Bloomberg and even then I doubt he can seeing Progressives will revolt if Sanders is not the nominee which will cause major havoc on election day that will result in the House Flipping and the GOP retaining the Senate...

Democrats screwed themselves...

Again, history would disagree.

I remember in 1980, when everyone said that Ronald Reagan was too Right Wing and Radical to get elected.
I remember in 2008, where they said no way would we elect a black guy with a Muslim name.
I remember in 2016, when people thought there was NO WAY Trump could win, especially after the Pussy Grabbing Tape emerged.

I don't support Sanders. But Sanders has something that Bloomberg doesn't have, but Reagan, Obama and Trump did - fanatical followers who are willing to go to the wall for him.

You see, as much as Vichy Mac whines about how we are not "Moderate" enough, the reality is moderates lose. Hillary, Romney, McCain, Kerry, Gore, Dole... a whole litany of "Moderate" losers.
/----/ JoeB, rarely do we agree, but this time you are spot on. Polls say people want a moderate, but they can't get elected. Jimma Carter was an exception.

What people say and what they actually do frequently bear no relation to each other.

June 23, 2013:

November 14, 2015:

July 27, 2013:

Sources:

Moderates.

June 23, 2013:

November 14, 2015:

July 27, 2013:

Sources:

Moderates.

Moderates are all over the place politically. This is a lazy response. Maybe you'd be taken seriously if you didn't rely on meaningless one-word responses.

well yeah, that’s the tricky thing with campaign reform... the teams playing the game also make the rules... Problem is both sides that are making the rules are up to their necks in donors and deals so how do we get them to fix the system by biting the hands that feed them? Term limits and regulating PACs and lobbyists could help... I think the public would overwhelmingly support many reforms, we just need a few courageous legislators to engage a very public campaign and layout a smart plan.

Remember how we got PAC's in the first place. McCain's Campaign Finance law.

Remember how we got PAC's in the first place. McCain's Campaign Finance law.
Do you think PACs are a good thing?

Forum List

Back