Trump’s best characteristic is humility ???

trump-anxiety-derangement-syndrome1.jpg

That you two are given to remarking upon the person who made the comments in the OP rather than directly defending the legitimacy of K. Conway's statements.

Conway says that the Trump characteristic that stood out to her was his humility. Well, we must take her word that that is what stood out to her. The thing is "God only knows how and why."
  • At a press conference in Corpus Christi, Trump made the matter about himself and his image:
    • "Thank you everybody. What a crowd! What a turnout!”
    • "“We want to be looked at in five years, 10 years from now, as ‘This is the way to do it’.”
  • Commenting on Brock Long, Trump said Long "has really become very famous on television the last couple of days.” We all know what Trump's view of fame is: the more famous the better, so long as it's not stealing the spotlight from him.
Moreover, the so-called and self-claimed "law and order" President didn't even mention the Houston police officer who drowned in the floodwaters while driving to work, whose death was announced that same afternoon. The officer's death was "all over" the news, yet Trump offered not so much as one sentence of recognition or condolence to the officer's friends, colleagues and family.

In the immediacy of calamity, adept leaders strike tones of sympathy and inspiration by articulating things that amount to saying "I feel for you, and I understand what you're going through." They share inspirational remarks on which sufferers can focus as they battle through their own pain and loss. Why? Because nobody suffering wants to hear "how great thou art." To wit:
  • Ronald Reagan’s poignant remarks upon the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger: “We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’”

Who's the focus of that commendation? It wasn't Reagan or his people in the government.
  • Barack Obama hugging a woman whose business was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.

The man personally comforted a suffering citizen with a hug. He didn't hug her to comfort himself.
  • George W. Bush’s appearance at Ground Zero on September 14, 2001. Bush began his remarks saying, “I want you all to know that America today, America today is on bended knee, in prayer for the people whose lives were lost here, for the workers who work here, for the families who mourn." Bush is likely best remembered for his ad-libbed remark, “I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!”

Notice that?
    • "Ad-libbed." The sentiment wa something indicative of him thinking about how the people who died will be remembered, not how he'll be remembered.
    • Expressions of condolence for the victims and their families.
Even before the storm struck, Trump showed nothing like empathy, saying “good luck” as he boarded a helicopter for Camp David.

Even as I've written the above, I must accord Trump his due on the inspirational side of things. That theme has pervaded made of is "Harvey" remarks, and he's not been sparing with them. I give him props for that.

The thing is that it takes no humility to be inspiring. It's not hard to be "rah-rah siss boom bah." It takes humility to express sympathy and empathy. Trump's parents and a sibling have passed. Surely, having lived through those losses, he could muster a bit of empathy for the people who've died or lost loved ones or "everything they have in the world." If he has any for them, he didn't express it during his visit to Texas.

Trump managed to speak sympathetically when recalling Kate Steinle, a woman shot and killed in San Francisco in 2015 by an unauthorized immigrant, and other people killed or injured by unauthorized immigrants. During the campaign, his discussion of these people were often among the most emotional moments of his rallies. Was that sincere sympathy or was that merely a vehicle for deriding immigrants? Even if it wasn't sincere, the point is that when it suits him, Trump is capable of appearing to be sympathetic, yet even if it's just an act, the past couple days was the right occasion for such an act.

But in the case of Harvey, Trump has thus far not decided to do so. Speaking to the press, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said that he had seen “genuine compassion” from Trump as they reviewed the damage. “The president was heartbroken about what he saw,” Abbott said. In the absence of any public display, Abbott’s testimony would have to suffice.

Lastly, I'll note that while there's no one way to express condolence, empathy and mourning, in the wake of Harvey, Trump's shown none of the many ways one might do so. Humble that ain't.

No, it was Obama had all the humility.

Trump has all the leadership skills.

If Trump has such great leadership skills, then why hasn't Congress passed any legislation of any importance? How come the GOP is so divided? How come so many people have left his cabinet or when asked said they didn't want to serve?

Nope, he's probably one of the crappiest leaders I've ever seen, and I've known a couple of worthless ones in the military. My old officers Capt. Daugherty and LT Raymond come readily to mind. They sucked as human beings and were even worse as leaders.

That you two are given to remarking upon the person who made the comments in the OP rather than directly defending the legitimacy of K. Conway's statements.

Conway says that the Trump characteristic that stood out to her was his humility. Well, we must take her word that that is what stood out to her. The thing is "God only knows how and why."
  • At a press conference in Corpus Christi, Trump made the matter about himself and his image:
    • "“We want to be looked at in five years, 10 years from now, as ‘This is the way to do it’.”
  • Commenting on Brock Long, Trump said Long "has really become very famous on television the last couple of days.” We all know what Trump's view of fame is: the more famous the better, so long as it's not stealing the spotlight from him.
Moreover, the so-called and self-claimed "law and order" President didn't even mention the Houston police officer who drowned in the floodwaters while driving to work, whose death was announced that same afternoon. The officer's death was "all over" the news, yet Trump offered not so much as one sentence of recognition or condolence to the officer's friends, colleagues and family.

In the immediacy of calamity, adept leaders strike tones of sympathy and inspiration by articulating things that amount to saying "I feel for you, and I understand what you're going through." They share inspirational remarks on which sufferers can focus as they battle through their own pain and loss. Why? Because nobody suffering wants to hear "how great thou art." To wit:
  • Ronald Reagan’s poignant remarks upon the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger: “We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’”

Who's the focus of that commendation? It wasn't Reagan or his people in the government.

The man personally comforted a suffering citizen with a hug. He didn't hug her to comfort himself.
  • George W. Bush’s appearance at Ground Zero on September 14, 2001. Bush began his remarks saying, “I want you all to know that America today, America today is on bended knee, in prayer for the people whose lives were lost here, for the workers who work here, for the families who mourn." Bush is likely best remembered for his ad-libbed remark, “I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!”

Notice that?
    • "Ad-libbed." The sentiment wa something indicative of him thinking about how the people who died will be remembered, not how he'll be remembered.
Even before the storm struck, Trump showed nothing like empathy, saying “good luck” as he boarded a helicopter for Camp David.

Even as I've written the above, I must accord Trump his due on the inspirational side of things. That theme has pervaded made of is "Harvey" remarks, and he's not been sparing with them. I give him props for that.

The thing is that it takes no humility to be inspiring. It's not hard to be "rah-rah siss boom bah." It takes humility to express sympathy and empathy. Trump's parents and a sibling have passed. Surely, having lived through those losses, he could muster a bit of empathy for the people who've died or lost loved ones or "everything they have in the world." If he has any for them, he didn't express it during his visit to Texas.

Trump managed to speak sympathetically when recalling Kate Steinle, a woman shot and killed in San Francisco in 2015 by an unauthorized immigrant, and other people killed or injured by unauthorized immigrants. During the campaign, his discussion of these people were often among the most emotional moments of his rallies. Was that sincere sympathy or was that merely a vehicle for deriding immigrants? Even if it wasn't sincere, the point is that when it suits him, Trump is capable of appearing to be sympathetic, yet even if it's just an act, the past couple days was the right occasion for such an act.

But in the case of Harvey, Trump has thus far not decided to do so. Speaking to the press, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said that he had seen “genuine compassion” from Trump as they reviewed the damage. “The president was heartbroken about what he saw,” Abbott said. In the absence of any public display, Abbott’s testimony would have to suffice.

Lastly, I'll note that while there's no one way to express condolence, empathy and mourning, in the wake of Harvey, Trump's shown none of the many ways one might do so. Humble that ain't.

You sure are long-winded. Seems like you write a thesis every time you post. Sometimes less is more, friend. Learn how to convey your thoughts with fewer words...or bore everyone to death.

See how succint that was?

Hate to tell ya Nat, but that's not humility kicking in. It's his narcissistic personality filled with hubris that makes him clueless and therefore he thinks that he's the best looking golfer out there.

Just ask him...............he'll tell you.

Have all the mirrors in the WH been removed???......LOL

Notice that?

Christ almighty lib Conway voiced her opinion and you vomited a liberal manifesto post holy shit.

You libs are the champions of women /SARCASM

Just a reminder.....

Trump: I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.

Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bush: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.

No, it was Obama had all the humility.

Trump has all the leadership skills.

If Trump has such great leadership skills, then why hasn't Congress passed any legislation of any importance? How come the GOP is so divided? How come so many people have left his cabinet or when asked said they didn't want to serve?

Nope, he's probably one of the crappiest leaders I've ever seen, and I've known a couple of worthless ones in the military. My old officers Capt. Daugherty and LT Raymond come readily to mind. They sucked as human beings and were even worse as leaders.

I can tell youwhy he can get no legislation passed, DEEP STATE! Bwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhh, dammit I almost got that out without laughing.

Notice that?

Christ almighty lib Conway voiced her opinion and you vomited a liberal manifesto post holy shit.
Conway voiced her opinion

Indeed she did, and the point of the OP is to engender discussion about an aspect of the opinion she expressed.

My post is an explication of why I disagree with the opinion she aired. In other words, it directly addresses the actual topic of discussion. Indeed, as goes Conway, my post explicitly accedes that the opinion Conway shared is her genuine opinion: "we must take her word that that is what stood out to her." What my post doesn't do is lob an ad hominem attack at a Conway or at the OP-er or anyone else.

You and the other member whose meme I quoted in my post could also have directly addressed the topic of the thread. There are quite a few ways, some of which are noted below, one could have done so, and yet you pursued none of them.
  • One might have tried to argue that Conway's opinion that Trump showed great humility is accurate and supported that argument by citing remarks he made that show humility. Seeing as Trump hasn't made any that illustrate the virtue of humility, that'd have been a hard thing to do credibly/soundly, but the remarks would have been topically germane with regard to the OP.
  • One might have argued that while Conway's opinion is amiss on the humility front, she was right regarding a different opinion she shared in the interview, and that she got that aspect o the matter right is more relevant that that her opinion about the nature and extent of Trump's humility vis a vis Harvey is flawed.
  • One might have endeavored to argue that Trump is usually humble even though he hasn't shown any of it in his remarks re: Harvey. That approach would call for one citing multiple instances of Trump making remarks whereby he subordinates himself and his feelings to the circumstances and feelings of others.
It could also be that one doesn't care to engage on the topic of discussion. That's fine too, but mature intelligent people who don't want to discuss a given theme or topic keep mum on that topic/theme. What they don't do is attack the person who introduces the topic. They don't do that because for whatever they think of the person's remarks, they know that attacking the person does absolutely nothing to impugn the validity or accuracy of that person's assertions.

Forum List

Back