Trump's tariffs were supposed to reduce the trade deficit

Worked as a tax. They have never worked to change another countries tariffs. If trumps intention was to tax us more, he's doing a great job!

His intention is to encourage domestic production. A thing that has been discouraged since Reagan got shot.

So, us levying tariffs on them because they are levying tariffs on us is bad..because why?
Ok so tariffs have never successfully encouraged domestic production. They are a tax.

Worked as a tax. They have never worked to change another countries tariffs. If trumps intention was to tax us more, he's doing a great job!

His intention is to encourage domestic production. A thing that has been discouraged since Reagan got shot.

So, us levying tariffs on them because they are levying tariffs on us is bad..because why?
Ok so tariffs have never successfully encouraged domestic production. They are a tax.

Proof?

Proof?
It has never happened, how can I should you proof of something that hasn't happened. Show me proof it has. There is a reason every economist is against it. It had the opposite effect with the Bush steel tariffs.

It's a bit premature to making making assessments about the effects of Trump's tariffs on the trade deficit. The article even made that point.
It certainly isn't a good sign. We are paying tariffs and they are shipping more here than ever.
Is it a sign or just wishful thinking on the part of partisans.

“The way the U.S. has structured the tariffs encourages front-loading because firms that know they’re going to hit with tariffs would rather pay 10 percent than 25 percent,” he said.

Plus, the 10 percent tariffs were almost entirely offset by the fall in the Chinese currency, which has depreciated by more than 8 percent since June. This makes Chinese products cheaper overseas.
China’s trade surplus with the U.S. hit a record $34.1 billion in September amid trade war
So how long are WE going to be paying tariffs? China won't care till there is a slow down in exports to the US.
I don't claim to have the answers but it is stated that we have yet to begin noticing the tariffs due to the depreciation of the Yuan.

It did not state that America has 'yet to begin noticing'. That is flat out impossible this far into their initial implementation. America has DEFINITELY begun to notice the effects. It's just the full effect of these tariffs are not yet realized.

And massive tariffs NEVER work - NEVER. Please show me a time in American history when they did? Smoot-Hawley was the last time they were tried, and they were a complete disaster.

For every economist who says Trump's tariffs are a good idea - I can find you at least 2 (if not 10) who say it is not.

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term, American jobs.
No one - and I mean NO ONE - is going to built huge, new, U.S. factories STRICTLY due to tariffs that could be taken away tomorrow. So forget about it causing more jobs long term. No chance. Factories might add second shifts temporarily - but that is it.
And prices will go up for consumers - that is guaranteed.

Trump is trying 1950's policies in the 21'st century - and unless China blinks, it will not work.

And why would China blink? They have no elections/polls to worry about? And Xi just got a MASSIVE vote of confidence - so he has no worries. Why would China blink?
But Trump has 2020 coming up. China knows this. Even if they planned to give up - they would not do it before 2020 to see if Trump gets thrown out. And if Trump goes - so goes his tariffs.

China has Democrat’s in their side. So you are correct. They can hope for Trumps defeat and try to ride it out.
But that doesn’t mean they can. Unless you have fallen for the communist magic economy propaganda you know that credit and currency exchange limits restrict them. They are on a slightly thinner razor than we are.
So the communist can hope for their Democratic allies to take Trump down. But I don’t see it happening. And certainly not in the time frame they have.
The Chicoms will blink and break the Democrats hearts.

It's a bit premature to making making assessments about the effects of Trump's tariffs on the trade deficit. The article even made that point.
It certainly isn't a good sign. We are paying tariffs and they are shipping more here than ever.

“The way the U.S. has structured the tariffs encourages front-loading because firms that know they’re going to hit with tariffs would rather pay 10 percent than 25 percent,” he said.

Plus, the 10 percent tariffs were almost entirely offset by the fall in the Chinese currency, which has depreciated by more than 8 percent since June. This makes Chinese products cheaper overseas.
China’s trade surplus with the U.S. hit a record $34.1 billion in September amid trade war
So how long are WE going to be paying tariffs? China won't care till there is a slow down in exports to the US.
I don't claim to have the answers but it is stated that we have yet to begin noticing the tariffs due to the depreciation of the Yuan.

It did not state that America has 'yet to begin noticing'. That is flat out impossible this far into their initial implementation. America has DEFINITELY begun to notice the effects. It's just the full effect of these tariffs are not yet realized.

And massive tariffs NEVER work - NEVER. Please show me a time in American history when they did? Smoot-Hawley was the last time they were tried, and they were a complete disaster.

For every economist who says Trump's tariffs are a good idea - I can find you at least 2 (if not 10) who say it is not.

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term, American jobs.
No one - and I mean NO ONE - is going to built huge, new, U.S. factories STRICTLY due to tariffs that could be taken away tomorrow. So forget about it causing more jobs long term. No chance. Factories might add second shifts temporarily - but that is it.

Trump is trying 1950's policies in the 21'st century - and unless China blinks, it will not work.

And why would China blink? They have no elections/polls to worry about? And Xi just got a MASSIVE vote of confidence - so he has no worries. Why would China blink?
But Trump has 2020 coming up. China knows this. Even if they planned to give up - they would not do it before 2020 to see if Trump gets thrown out. And if Trump goes - so goes his tariffs.
It hasn't impacted imports from China so where have you noticed the tariffs?

Don't confuse me here with someone who thinks the tariffs will have a positive outcome for American workers. My comments are merely stated in the context of the op.

Don't confuse me here with someone who thinks the tariffs will have a positive outcome for American workers. My comments are merely stated in the context of the op.

They will though, bigly. It's this thing called common sense.

That's what you all said when you were building the conditions for capital flight to low wage countries in the first place. It was said that government was the problem and that business couldn't compete globally. Now you all whine about the globalists all day long and you elected a huckster to save you from yourselves. You have no common sense, son.

That's what you all said when you were building the conditions for capital flight to low wage countries in the first place. It was said that government was the problem and that business couldn't compete globally. Now you all whine about the globalists all day long and you elected a huckster to save you from yourselves. You have no common sense, son.

You sir, are a clueless moonbat. :eusa_hand:

Anything that anyone needs in America, can be produced in America. Believe that.

I was back in Houston recently and was on TX-146 headed up from Galveston. There is a dock facility there near Red Bluff and 146 (don’t recall the name); containers were stacked nearly as high as the bridge of the in the dock.

China has Democrat’s in their side. So you are correct. They can hope for Trumps defeat and try to ride it out.
But that doesn’t mean they can. Unless you have fallen for the communist magic economy propaganda you know that credit and currency exchange limits restrict them. They are on a slightly thinner razor than we are.
So the communist can hope for their Democratic allies to take Trump down. But I don’t see it happening. And certainly not in the time frame they have.

China’s position is much stronger than ours. They own a lot of our debt.

China’s position is much stronger than ours. They own a lot of our debt.

No, ours is stronger. They make zero dollars if we don't buy all their stuff. derp!

Back in the 80's, Reagan saved Harley Davidson with a tariff on japanese imports. From the same guy who said government is the problem, implements a government solution.

Back in the 80's, Reagan saved Harley Davidson with a tariff on japanese imports. From the same guy who said government is the problem, implements a government solution.

GPZ900 was a helluva bike.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Fair enough...my apologies for making the quick assumption.

China sending us their resources for real cheap was taking advantage of us? We want to pay more for their resources?
Thank you for demonstrating you have no clue what you're talking avout, especially what has been going on between us and China.

Got a link to support that? It's new to me.

Forum List

Back