Trump's tariffs were supposed to reduce the trade deficit

And they will, dumbass. Things like this are not a quick fix, especially when the fucking up was decades in the making.
Based on history tariffs have never fixed anything...

Based on history, the US government funded itself on tariffs for well over a century before Income Tax was implemented. Next!

Perhaps you should not have "Brain" in your handle.
Yes, it is great as a tax. So? Did they change the tariffs of other countries?

Read this, enlighten yourself..or not:

How Was the United States Government Funded Prior to Income Tax?

So how long are WE going to be paying tariffs? China won't care till there is a slow down in exports to the US.
I don't claim to have the answers but it is stated that we have yet to begin noticing the tariffs due to the depreciation of the Yuan.
It could take a very long time...
Time will tell.
Elections do have consequences.
Yes only time can tell this one. You aren’t concerned that every good economist is against tariffs?
Not really. Nor am I sure what to you makes a good economist. I'm just an interested observer.
Did you like how the nafta negotiations ended? I didn't think it was very good. I wanted tariffs to be lowered. Instead we got more regulations....

And they will, dumbass. Things like this are not a quick fix, especially when the fucking up was decades in the making.

Based on history, the US government funded itself on tariffs for well over a century before Income Tax was implemented. Next!

Like I said, they are a great tax. You love income tax too? Show me where our tariffs have made other countries lower theirs.

Trumps intention is to tax us more?

I don't claim to have the answers but it is stated that we have yet to begin noticing the tariffs due to the depreciation of the Yuan.
Time will tell.
Yes only time can tell this one. You aren’t concerned that every good economist is against tariffs?
Not really. Nor am I sure what to you makes a good economist. I'm just an interested observer.
Did you like how the nafta negotiations ended? I didn't think it was very good. I wanted tariffs to be lowered. Instead we got more regulations....
I think NAFTA was little more than a PR stunt.

Time will tell.
I agree.

How you got that out of a factual article is beyond me.

Time will tell.

It was designed to weaken the economy of America, period.

H.W. Bush drafted it, and Clinton signed it shortly before he left.

They were all in it together. Make no mistake.

Clinton was slightly less treasonous than the Bushes, IMO.

(Unless it involved money for him)

How you got that out of a factual article is beyond me.

Time will tell.

Your factual article discussed how it is a tax.

And Trump hardly changed Nafta at all.... Did he decide it's not so bad?

From a NY Times article back in February (U.S.-China Trade Deficit Hits Record, Fueling Trade Fight):

“The problem is that even if China were to provide greater access to its markets today, if the U.S. economy were to do well, and China were to slow down, the deficit might actually increase,” Mr. Prasad said. “It would certainly be problematic to view the size of that deficit as an indicator of whether trade is fair.”
With the economy booming we're spending. It isn't like we consumers have that much of a choice of where the products we buy are manufactured. Question is whether tariffs are the answer that'll bring manufacturing back and how long do we give them to find out?

Yep, another MAJOR Trump fail. Only Trump zombies couldn't see the obvious.

DpUL515W0AI5Ehh.jpg

DpUMGP6XUAcb9Vk.jpg

I was talking about NAFTA 2.0.

iu
News probably gets to you slow in the backwoods. Trump renegotiated NAFTA. It is all his now. NAFTA 2.0. Bush and Clinton are off the hook now that Trump has decided to hang himself with it.

iu
News probably gets to you slow in the backwoods. Trump renegotiated NAFTA. It is all his now. NAFTA 2.0. Bush and Clinton are off the hook now that Trump has decided to hang himself with it.

Or MAGA with it! :113:

iu

Or MAGA with it! :113:
It's hardly changed. You went from it was horrible to maga with a light tweaking?

It's a bit premature to making making assessments about the effects of Trump's tariffs on the trade deficit. The article even made that point.
It certainly isn't a good sign. We are paying tariffs and they are shipping more here than ever.
Is it a sign or just wishful thinking on the part of partisans.

“The way the U.S. has structured the tariffs encourages front-loading because firms that know they’re going to hit with tariffs would rather pay 10 percent than 25 percent,” he said.

Plus, the 10 percent tariffs were almost entirely offset by the fall in the Chinese currency, which has depreciated by more than 8 percent since June. This makes Chinese products cheaper overseas.
China’s trade surplus with the U.S. hit a record $34.1 billion in September amid trade war
So how long are WE going to be paying tariffs? China won't care till there is a slow down in exports to the US.

It did not state that America has 'yet to begin noticing'. That is flat out impossible this far into their initial implementation. America has DEFINITELY begun to notice the effects. It's just the full effect of these tariffs are not yet realized.

And massive tariffs NEVER work - NEVER. Please show me a time in American history when they did? Smoot-Hawley was the last time they were tried, and they were a complete disaster.

For every economist who says Trump's tariffs are a good idea - I can find you at least 2 (if not 10) who say it is not.

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term American jobs.
No one - and I mean NO ONE - is going to built huge, new, U.S. factories STRICTLY due to tariffs that could be taken away tomorrow. So forget about it causing more jobs long term. No chance. Factories might add second shifts temporarily - but that is it.
And prices will go up for consumers - that is guaranteed.

Trump is trying 1950's policies in the 21'st century - and unless China blinks, it will not work.

And why would China blink? They have no elections/polls to worry about? And Xi just got a MASSIVE vote of confidence - so he has no worries. Why would China blink?
But Trump has 2020 coming up. China knows this. Even if they planned to give up - they would not do it before 2020 to see if Trump gets thrown out. And if Trump goes - so goes his tariffs.

Last edited:
It did not state that America has 'yet to begin noticing'. That is flat out impossible this far into their initial implementation. America has DEFINITELY begun to notice the effects. It's just the full effect of these tariffs are not yet realized.

And massive tariffs NEVER work - NEVER. Please show me a time in American history when they did? Smoot-Hawley was the last time they were tried, and they were a complete disaster.

For every economist who says Trump's tariffs are a good idea - I can find you at least 2 (if not 10) who say it is not.

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term, American jobs.
No one - and I mean NO ONE - is going to built huge, new, U.S. factories STRICTLY due to tariffs that could be taken away tomorrow. So forget about it causing more jobs long term. No chance. Factories might add second shifts temporarily - but that is it.

Trump is trying 1950's policies in the 21'st century - and unless China blinks, it will not work.

And why would China blink? They have no elections/polls to worry about? And Xi just got a MASSIVE vote of confidence - so he has no worries. Why would China blink?
But Trump has 2020 coming up. China knows this. Even if they planned to give up - they would not do it before 2020 to see if Trump gets thrown out. And if Trump goes - so goes his tariffs.

Yet they did for almost a century and 1/2. STFU. :eusa_hand:

Get back when you actually know something, boy.

It certainly isn't a good sign. We are paying tariffs and they are shipping more here than ever.
Is it a sign or just wishful thinking on the part of partisans.

“The way the U.S. has structured the tariffs encourages front-loading because firms that know they’re going to hit with tariffs would rather pay 10 percent than 25 percent,” he said.

Plus, the 10 percent tariffs were almost entirely offset by the fall in the Chinese currency, which has depreciated by more than 8 percent since June. This makes Chinese products cheaper overseas.
China’s trade surplus with the U.S. hit a record $34.1 billion in September amid trade war

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term, American jobs.

Yet they did for almost a century and 1/2. STFU. :eusa_hand:

Get back when you actually know something, boy.
Worked as a tax. They have never worked to change another countries tariffs. If trumps intention was to tax us more, he's doing a great job!

Worked as a tax. They have never worked to change another countries tariffs. If trumps intention was to tax us more, he's doing a great job!

His intention is to encourage domestic production. A thing that has been discouraged since Reagan got shot.

So, us levying tariffs on them because they are levying tariffs on us is bad..because why?

Because they surely have been ever since "NAFTA 1", k?

Forum List

Back