Trump's tariffs were supposed to reduce the trade deficit

China sending us their resources for real cheap was taking advantage of us? We want to pay more for their resources?
Thank you for demonstrating you have no clue what you're talking avout, especially what has been going on between us and China.
They haven't been sending us their resources for cheap? Seems you have no clue...

So how long are WE going to be paying tariffs? China won't care till there is a slow down in exports to the US.
I don't claim to have the answers but it is stated that we have yet to begin noticing the tariffs due to the depreciation of the Yuan.

It did not state that America has 'yet to begin noticing'. That is flat out impossible this far into their initial implementation. America has DEFINITELY begun to notice the effects. It's just the full effect of these tariffs are not yet realized.

And massive tariffs NEVER work - NEVER. Please show me a time in American history when they did? Smoot-Hawley was the last time they were tried, and they were a complete disaster.

For every economist who says Trump's tariffs are a good idea - I can find you at least 2 (if not 10) who say it is not.

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term, American jobs.
No one - and I mean NO ONE - is going to built huge, new, U.S. factories STRICTLY due to tariffs that could be taken away tomorrow. So forget about it causing more jobs long term. No chance. Factories might add second shifts temporarily - but that is it.
And prices will go up for consumers - that is guaranteed.

Trump is trying 1950's policies in the 21'st century - and unless China blinks, it will not work.

And why would China blink? They have no elections/polls to worry about? And Xi just got a MASSIVE vote of confidence - so he has no worries. Why would China blink?
But Trump has 2020 coming up. China knows this. Even if they planned to give up - they would not do it before 2020 to see if Trump gets thrown out. And if Trump goes - so goes his tariffs.

China has Democrat’s in their side. So you are correct. They can hope for Trumps defeat and try to ride it out.
But that doesn’t mean they can. Unless you have fallen for the communist magic economy propaganda you know that credit and currency exchange limits restrict them. They are on a slightly thinner razor than we are.
So the communist can hope for their Democratic allies to take Trump down. But I don’t see it happening. And certainly not in the time frame they have.
The Chicoms will blink and break the Democrats hearts.

China’s position is much stronger than ours. They own a lot of our debt.

No, ours is stronger. They make zero dollars if we don't buy all their stuff. derp!
They have a world to sell to.

I don't claim to have the answers but it is stated that we have yet to begin noticing the tariffs due to the depreciation of the Yuan.

It did not state that America has 'yet to begin noticing'. That is flat out impossible this far into their initial implementation. America has DEFINITELY begun to notice the effects. It's just the full effect of these tariffs are not yet realized.

And massive tariffs NEVER work - NEVER. Please show me a time in American history when they did? Smoot-Hawley was the last time they were tried, and they were a complete disaster.

For every economist who says Trump's tariffs are a good idea - I can find you at least 2 (if not 10) who say it is not.

The only way Trump's tax (and that is all tariffs are really - taxes) will work is if China flinches in this huge game of chicken. Because if they don't, these tariffs will hurt US consumers and will gain almost no, long term, American jobs.
No one - and I mean NO ONE - is going to built huge, new, U.S. factories STRICTLY due to tariffs that could be taken away tomorrow. So forget about it causing more jobs long term. No chance. Factories might add second shifts temporarily - but that is it.

Trump is trying 1950's policies in the 21'st century - and unless China blinks, it will not work.

And why would China blink? They have no elections/polls to worry about? And Xi just got a MASSIVE vote of confidence - so he has no worries. Why would China blink?
But Trump has 2020 coming up. China knows this. Even if they planned to give up - they would not do it before 2020 to see if Trump gets thrown out. And if Trump goes - so goes his tariffs.

China has Democrat’s in their side. So you are correct. They can hope for Trumps defeat and try to ride it out.
But that doesn’t mean they can. Unless you have fallen for the communist magic economy propaganda you know that credit and currency exchange limits restrict them. They are on a slightly thinner razor than we are.
So the communist can hope for their Democratic allies to take Trump down. But I don’t see it happening. And certainly not in the time frame they have.

No, ours is stronger. They make zero dollars if we don't buy all their stuff. derp!

Selling doesn't really work without the buying.

You don't think they sell plenty to other countries? How high you think the tariffs have to be before we stop buying? See the OP, so far we are buying record amounts.

You don't think they sell plenty to other countries? How high you think the tariffs have to be before we stop buying? See the OP, so far we are buying record amounts.

Q: What if we manufactured comparable products?

roll-safe

Worked as a tax. They have never worked to change another countries tariffs. If trumps intention was to tax us more, he's doing a great job!

His intention is to encourage domestic production. A thing that has been discouraged since Reagan got shot.

So, us levying tariffs on them because they are levying tariffs on us is bad..because why?
Ok so tariffs have never successfully encouraged domestic production. They are a tax.
Back in the 80's, Reagan saved Harley Davidson with a tariff on japanese imports. From the same guy who said government is the problem, implements a government solution.
33 Years Ago, Tariffs Saved Harley-Davidson Inc. -- or Did They? -- The Motley Fool

In today's political climate, the story seems to have particular relevance. But the history books seem to have gotten it wrong. The tariffs actually did little to help Harley-Davidson survive, though they likely did cost some workers their jobs and raised costs for consumers. What actually saved Harley-Davidson was Harley-Davidson.

Q: What if we manufactured comparable products?

roll-safe
Then they would cost drastically more and our economy would slow. With our unemployment as low as it is, why should we?

I'm sure other countries buy plenty, although not as much as we do. BTW, what is it you've purchased that has gone up in price due to tariffs?

I'm sure other countries buy plenty, although not as much as we do. BTW, what is it you've purchased that has gone up in price due to tariffs?
That's hard to say since so many things come from China.

Isn't it, though? :rolleyes-41:

So, nothing comes to mind as to what increased in price?

China sending us their resources for real cheap was taking advantage of us? We want to pay more for their resources?
Thank you for demonstrating you have no clue what you're talking avout, especially what has been going on between us and China.
They haven't been sending us their resources for cheap? Seems you have no clue...
For one, ever heard of something called 'copywrite laws'? Any clue how they fit into all of this? If not, educate yourself and then come back.

For one, ever heard of something called 'copywrite laws'? Any clue how they fit into all of this? If not, educate yourself and then come back.

I assume you mean "copyright" laws. Do you think the U.S. honors the "copyright" laws of all other countries?

List of countries' copyright lengths - Wikipedia

So, nothing comes to mind as to what increased in price?
I understand the yuan has depreciated so tariff effects are being hidden from the consumer, except that prices have not decreased as they should and US taxes have been raised by the amount of the increased tariffs.

Then they would cost drastically more and our economy would slow. With our unemployment as low as it is, why should we?

iu
That's it? We don't have the workers to start making lots of products here, look at our unemployment rate...

We’ll hold on. I’ll take issues with that. Millions (if not tens of millions) are not counted in the unemployment numbers. Secondly millions (if not tens of millions) are under employed and would jump at the chance to get a job in a plant or factory.

Now to agree with your correct and unimpeachable theme...

Tariffs will not get us there of course. As a business owner I can cut a check to 3rd party(s) manufacturers and pay an import tax every quarter that will likely not be there in 2-6 years or

Build a plant
Hire a massive staff
Pay wages
Pay benefits
Pay all of the other fees involved like UE insurance, property taxes, legal fees, etc
Then in 2-6 years...when the stupid tariffs are gone...you can’t compete and have to close up shop.

Not to even mention the blowing up of the current business model and the domestic competition.

Forum List

Back