Trumps VP pick

The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;

— the President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;

— The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

— The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Now where is the part that supports your claim, "only 1 elector vote for president and vice president, COMBINED is cast"?
You're right. I was wrong!

Now, if both VPs were from Florida, and Trump won, the Florida electors couldn't vote
for either VP.
I think it could turn the situation in to what is called a Constitutional crisis! On any close electoral race!!! Of which this coming election is going to be close! I can't imagine Harris being Trump's VP.... AND she very well could be! 30 Florida electors not counting for the Trump VP, could make Harris the outright winner, with no decision needed by the Senate on a tie. :eek:

He’s already recognized and apologized for his mistake and I think it’s reasonable that many people didn’t know that ( me).
I guess I should not be surprised about how little the average American know about how our government is supposed to work

Most don’t even know what form of government we use

Last edited:
I think it could turn the situation in to what is called a Constitutional crisis! On any close electoral race!!! Of which this coming election is going to be close! I can't imagine Harris being Trump's VP.... AND she very well could be! 30 Florida electors not counting for the Trump VP, could make Harris the outright winner, with no decision needed by the Senate on a tie. :eek:

I think it could turn the situation in to what is called a Constitutional crisis! On any close electoral race!!

Why would it be a crisis? The Constitution clearly spells out the procedure.
It would be weird to have a President and VP from different parties, but not a Constitutional crisis.

30 Florida electors not counting for the Trump VP, could make Harris the outright winner, with no decision needed by the Senate on a tie.

How could it be a tie? How could Harris be the outright winner?

There would be no constitutional crisis. The constitution has a remedy.

I think it could turn the situation in to what is called a Constitutional crisis! On any close electoral race!!

Why would it be a crisis? The Constitution clearly spells out the procedure.
It would be weird to have a President and VP from different parties, but not a Constitutional crisis.

30 Florida electors not counting for the Trump VP, could make Harris the outright winner, with no decision needed by the Senate on a tie.

How could it be a tie? How could Harris be the outright winner?
A couple plus, of faith less electors who could not vote for the R VP under the rules on a near tied race for the Presidency, like a 271 to 267....just 3 faithless R electors for VP Harris, could bring her to 270....

It is a long shot of happening, no doubt!!

Senator Joni Ernst

Woman

Veteran

Iowa is next door to Wisconsin and Minnesota

Moderate

Sensible

Rubio would also be a good choice.

Last edited:
A couple plus, of faith less electors who could not vote for the R VP under the rules on a near tied race for the Presidency, like a 271 to 267....just 3 faithless R electors for VP Harris, could bring her to 270....

It is a long shot of happening, no doubt!!

Faithless electors? We were discussing candidates from the same state.

Faithless electors? We were discussing candidates from the same state.
I thought we were discussing the presidency winning as a republican, vs a VP of the democratic party, as vp, because of the VP in the same state as President, would not receive the 30 Florida electors, in this case. Since those 30 electors in Florida can not vote for the Trump republican VP when voting on Dec 14, if just 3 of them chose to vote for Harris, then Harris would have the majority of electoral votes, and be VP.... In the scenario I had mentioned in my previous post.

It's unlikely a Florida elector would do that....but it could happen.

And if the republican VP did not reach 270 or more because they lost 30 Fla electors due to Electors not being allowed to vote for the VP from the same state, and it goes to the Senate to vote for VP because neither VP had 270, and the Senate still had a democratic majority as it does now, couldn't they choose Harris as the winner?

Last edited:
And if the republican VP did not reach 270 or more because they lost 30 Fla electors due to Electors not being allowed to vote for the VP from the same state, and it goes to the Senate to vote for VP because neither VP had 270, and the Senate still had a democratic majority as it does now, couldn't they choose Harris as the winner?

They certainly could.

Forum List

Back