'Turn off your cell phone' day is March 9th. Can you do it?

My cell phone will be10 years old on March 8th. When I'm out and decide to stop at a store I'll retrieve it from the glove box, turn it on and call the wife, telling her where I'm at and asking if she needs me to pick anything up. I'll pick up a pre-paid $100 card on the 8th which will be more than enough to get me through the following year.

Geez... Bunch of Luddites around here. After having one for the past 15 or so years, they are so feature packed and useful as to be nearly indispensable. I suppose I could go back to not using one, but why?

What would I do with a cellphone that I can't do with my PCs? ;)
Put it in your pocket and take it with you?

Yeah.....but as I almost never go anywhere, that isn't really an issue. :lol:

I'm sure the younger you are, the harder it will be. I doubt my sons will do it. I'll do it but I probably spend maybe 15 or 20 minutes a day on my phone, so isn't a big deal for me.

National Day of Unplugging

I can't do this. I don't own a cellphone. :p
Neither do I. I'm not a Luddite. I just don't want to be that connected nor that obnoxious. Society hasn't got cell phone etiquette down yet. I've been in social situations when someone gets a cell phone call. Real interhuman interaction gets put on hold while the interloping cell call takes priority. Every Friday night me and my friends get together to play intricate board games. One of our number takes calls from his wife and kids. My Pop used to play poker with other small business owners in town. It would never occur to me or my brother to call him while he was out playing poker. We respected his personal time, and the personal time of his friends. Today's kids never consider that.
Wow, I agree with you on something. I need to check the meteor forecast. :ack-1:

Cell phone? What's that???

Seriously though, we all had pre-paid cells at one time, but we'd run out of time before running out of minutes and ended up being a waste of money for the most part. Once in a great while (like twice a year, maybe) there is a need for one, but it's not really cost effective. My phone had run out of minutes sometime last year and I didn't even realize it for almost 3 months, so it's a non-issue in our house. And we have 2 teenage boys.....that have not become dependent on cell phones.

The greatest problem with not having a cell is there are no longer pay phones available as an alternative

I'm sure the younger you are, the harder it will be. I doubt my sons will do it. I'll do it but I probably spend maybe 15 or 20 minutes a day on my phone, so isn't a big deal for me.

I’m sure that I won’t do it. I mean why do it? What does it prove? It’s a waste of time.
I guess it is way to show us how quickly that little gizmo has become such a focal point in our lives when just 20 years ago they didn't even exist!

I’m sure that I won’t do it. I mean why do it? What does it prove? It’s a waste of time.
I guess it is way to show us how quickly that little gizmo has become such a focal point in our lives when just 20 years ago they didn't even exist!

Ok.

SPOILER ALERT!

It became a focal point really fast.

Forum List

Back