Two reasons why democrats hate using the word Republic when identifying America's political system.

I brought up slavery to point out that having a constitution doesn't mean it will prevent abuse of the individual. You missed that rather obvious point. 😄 Went right by you.
At least in a Republic you need 2/3 of congressional approval and 2/3 of the states to make slavery legal again. In a democracy you only need 51%

You are not the originator of this meme. You are one of the brainless parrots. This meme has been showing up on this forum for quite a while now.

You've never had an original thought in your life.

So tell me, who told you this ridiculous lie? I'll start backtracking from there.

Was it Tucker?
What meme are you talking about?

At least in a Republic you need 2/3 of congressional approval and 2/3 of the states to make slavery legal again. In a democracy you only need 51%
Depends on the construction of democracy. But again, I don't hate that you need a 2/3 majority that you'll never get to end birth right citizenship so which part of the Constitution am I supposedly supposed to hate?

What a shame. Your entire idiotic scheme is built on a false premise. :lol:

Read Trump's Jan. 6 Speech

We're gathered together in the heart of our nation's capital for one very, very basic and simple reason: To save our democracy.

Now, it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. And after this, we're going to walk down, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down, we're going to walk down.

Today, for the sake of our democracy, for the sake of our Constitution, and for the sake of our children, we lay out the case for the entire world to hear.

It's all part of the comprehensive assault on our democracy, and the American people are finally standing up and saying no. This crowd is, again, a testament to it.
So.

Its a Republic

Depends on the construction of democracy. But again, I don't hate that you need a 2/3 majority that you'll never get to end birth right citizenship so which part of the Constitution am I supposedly supposed to hate?
Nope try again. You need 2/3 of congressional and 2/3 of all the states not 51%

Nope try again. You need 2/3 of congressional and 2/3 of all the states not 51%
I didn't dispute that you Bingo. In fact I said I like that you need 2/3 rds to end birth right citizenship so which part of the Constitution are you claiming that I hate?

Gerrymandering is a problem, to be sure. But I don't think you can really do it without majority control. Do you have an example in mind?

Ok, but again, how is that minority rule??

"Minority Rule" is just a misleading catch phrase the Democrats have adopted to complain whenever they can't get their way with simple majority rule.

Yes, Republicans set about to take over State Houses after the census precisely for the purpose of gerrymandering the House and ensuring Republicans held the House, and Democrats can no longer be elected.

But this is standard in all authoritarian countries. All dictators are elected. North Korea holds elections, as does Russia. Then they dismanted government agencies which hold them accountable and set about eliminating the opposition.

Everything Hitler did was legal under German law. He passed laws legalizing the Final Solution. He was elected. Laws legalizing everything he did were passed.

One example of Minority Rule: The Senators who voted to confirm ACB to the Supreme Court of the United States, represented 14 million fewer voters than the Senators who voted against her confirmation. That's the very definition of Minority Rule.

In theory, a check on majority insanity - like electing a conman as President, is a good idea, but it hasn't worked, and Republicans have found ways to ensure they remain in power, even as the majority of Americans oppose their candidates, and their policies. The preventive measure for the "tyranny of the majority" has devolved into a Tyranny of the Minority wherein they're opposing anything Democrats try to pass, not on it's merits, but because simply Democrats want to pass it.

The founders of America came up with it derp
No, they didn't.

You are profoundly ignorant of US history.

Let's start with Alexander Hamilton's notes on the ratification of the Constitution:

I. A republic a word used in various senses.
Has been applied to aristocracies and monarchies.
1. To Rome under the Kings.
2. To Sparta though a Senate for life.
3. To Carthage though the same.
4. To United Netherlands, though Stadholder, Hereditary nobles:
5. To Poland though aristocracy and monarchy
6. To Great Britain though Monarchy &c
II. Again great confusion about the words. Democracy, Aristocracy, Monarch.
I. Democracy defined by some Rousseau &c
A government exercised by the collective body of the People
2 Delegation of their power has been made the criterion of Aristocracy
II. Aristocracy has been used to designate governments.
1. Where an independent few possessed sovereignty.
2. Where the representatives of the people possessed it.
III. Monarchy, where sovereignty in the hands of a single man
General idea—Independent in his situation. in any other sense would apply to State of New York
III. Democracy in my sense, where the whole power of the government in the people
I. Whether exercised by themselves, or
2. By their representatives chosen by them either mediately or immediately and legally accountable to them.

.Aristocracy where whole sovereignty is permanently in the hands of a few for life or hereditary
V.Monarchy where the whole sovereignty is in the hands of one man for life or hereditary.
VI.Mixed government when these three principles unite.
B.Consequence, the proposed government a representative democracy.
I.

As you can plainly see, Hamilton outlined the different kinds of Republics. Monarchical, Aristocratic, and Democratic.

The US was choosing the Representative Democratic model.

Trump said democracy derp derp derp derp
Exactly, as I have already pointed out. If we are not a democracy, as the dipshit who started this topic claims, then Trump really biffed it. He said "our democracy" no less than four times!

Is there anything that you think should be off limits to majority rule?
Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857) is still the law of the land, the Supreme Court having never overturned the ruling.

In 1868 the decision was rendered moot by Constitutional Amendment, through the democratic process, reflecting the will of the people, via their elected representatives in the states and Congress.

Forum List

Back