United States Military Superiority? Really?

You way
Suppose a Soviet submarine lying just off Cuba launched a couple of missiles carrying nuclear devices capable of triggering an electromagnetic pulse in our atmosphere. The flight of the missile would take mere minutes. The result would be the immediate paralysis of the entire nation. Any device of an electrical and/or electronic nature would be totally useless. There would be no communication at all between our military and its own submarines. Nothing. The nation with all its military hardware and might would be rendered impotent within a matter of minutes. This is a genuine threat which has been kicked down the road for far too long.

US Defenseless Against North Korean EMP Threat
You way overestimate the intensity of emp from such bombs.

Yes they destroy solid state electronics. But only within a limited radius.

It would take thousands of megaton range bombs detonated at high altitude to shut down the entire nation as you claim.

Subs employ kiloton range bombs which would only do damage to electronics in a small area

There is a sweet spot that would cover most of US

Suppose a Soviet submarine lying just off Cuba launched a couple of missiles carrying nuclear devices capable of triggering an electromagnetic pulse in our atmosphere. The flight of the missile would take mere minutes. The result would be the immediate paralysis of the entire nation. Any device of an electrical and/or electronic nature would be totally useless. There would be no communication at all between our military and its own submarines. Nothing. The nation with all its military hardware and might would be rendered impotent within a matter of minutes. This is a genuine threat which has been kicked down the road for far too long.

Our military is fully protected from HAEMP

Our subs use a frequency called ELF (extremely low frequency) that travels through the earth, not the air

Any nuclear attack would me met by a counterattack that would wipe out the Russians. We could wipe out N Korea with conventional weapons

How did you determine exactly who was responsible for the attack? Why are they worried about it if we have a defense against it?

regardless of all the anti this and that fodder ... first to shoot, last to die, as noted before.

every country knows that .. there's your real nuclear defense system.

You way

You way overestimate the intensity of emp from such bombs.

Yes they destroy solid state electronics. But only within a limited radius.

It would take thousands of megaton range bombs detonated at high altitude to shut down the entire nation as you claim.

Subs employ kiloton range bombs which would only do damage to electronics in a small area

There is a sweet spot that would cover most of US

That's not what the studies indicate. One big one over Omaha. These can even be deployed from satellites in outer space. We even allowed two aircraft to hit the World Trades Center and another one to be flown into a field. We can't find an aircraft that goes down in the ocean. Drones fly in and land on the White House lawn. Yes, we have impressive capabilities.

Our subs use a frequency called ELF (extremely low frequency) that travels through the earth, not the air

Any nuclear attack would me met by a counterattack that would wipe out the Russians. We could wipe out N Korea with conventional weapons

How did you determine exactly who was responsible for the attack? Why are they worried about it if we have a defense against it?

The list of countries capable of a sub based EMP attack is very short

I have been testing communications systems for the military for over 30 years. HAEMP survivability is always a primary mission requirement. Our civilian infrastructure would be wiped out. Our military has always been designed to survive a nuclear attack.

I have been testing communications systems for the military for over 30 years. HAEMP survivability is always a primary mission requirement. Our civilian infrastructure would be wiped out. Our military has always been designed to survive a nuclear attack.

Well, I've been doing work for the Navy for some time and there is absolutely nothing that will keep a jet in the air once it has lost power. Most military bases as well as government offices receive their power from the grid.

Doesn't have to be sub based. I used that only as an example. Friend, even solar flares can cause this.

Our president has proved he will lie to us if a crisis happens. As long as Obama or Hillary is in charge we can't believe anything.

Well, I've been doing work for the Navy for some time and there is absolutely nothing that will keep a jet in the air once it has lost power. Most military bases as well as government offices receive their power from the grid.
Mission critical equipment is required to be EMP survivable. A plane will not be brought down in an EMP attack. Just think of it

Our nuclear bombers need to be able to counterattack in the event of a nuclear war. Being neutralized after a first strike would not do that

Mission critical equipment is required to be EMP survivable. A plane will not be brought down in an EMP attack. Just think of it

Our nuclear bombers need to be able to counterattack in the event of a nuclear war. Being neutralized after a first strike would not do that

Like I said, there is nothing that prevents an aircraft from loosing power and crashing or having to land. Nothing.

Look genius, if they weren't concerned about it, they would not have commissioned a study on it.

Like I said, there is nothing that prevents an aircraft from loosing power and crashing or having to land. Nothing.

Look genius, if they weren't concerned about it, they would not have commissioned a study on it.
We have been studying the effects of EMP for 60 years

The military is prepared for it

We have been studying the effects of EMP for 60 years

The military is prepared for it

The study was done in 2014 and says we are NOT prepared for it. I have see some off the methods used. One practice is to replace a length of conduit with a rubber hose. This breaks up the emp however the wires within the conduit are not protected. Most of the passive defense we currently possess guards against the blast of a nuclear device. They place large springs on concrete floors to absorb the shock. They make pillboxes with 13 foot thick reinforced concrete walls, they have thermal and flash detectors, etc. None of these guard against emp.

Every nuclear detonation generates an EMP. Radius of effect is determined by altitude detonated. They aren't special purpose-constructed weapons.

A terrorist EMP event is the nightmare scenario because it isn't hard to do. Do it over NYC and that's pretty much it.

Every nuclear detonation generates an EMP. Radius of effect is determined by altitude detonated. They aren't special purpose-constructed weapons.

A terrorist EMP event is the nightmare scenario because it isn't hard to do. Do it over NYC and that's pretty much it.

Exactly. Can even be initiated from a shoulder-fired launcher.

Even worse yet Obama has made the morale of our military the lowest it has ever been....

Embrace the suck

Our president has proved he will lie to us if a crisis happens. As long as Obama or Hillary is in charge we can't believe anything.
========
Umm, here's a reminder --- IT WAS A REPUBLICAN WHO LIED TO THE COUNTRY AND GOT US TO GO TO WAR IN IRAQ === NOT A DEMOCRAT BUT A FUCKING LYING REPUBLICAN.

And your hero Trey Gowdy just got caught using FAKE EMAILS to try to smear Clinton.

And you accuse Democrats of being LIARS?

haw haw haw haw

how stupid are you?

well I guess your support of lying Republicans tells us the answer to that question.

Its could not even be man made a massive solar flare could do the same thing, an example would be the solar flare that left Canada in the dark 30 or so years ago...

I read a bit ago in popular science to protect our electrical grid would be cheap in federal terms, only a few billion dollars...

To put it in perspective Hillary's state department misplaced 6 billion dollars.

========
Umm, here's a reminder --- IT WAS A REPUBLICAN WHO LIED TO THE COUNTRY AND GOT US TO GO TO WAR IN IRAQ === NOT A DEMOCRAT BUT A FUCKING LYING REPUBLICAN.

And your hero Trey Gowdy just got caught using FAKE EMAILS to try to smear Clinton.

And you accuse Democrats of being LIARS?

haw haw haw haw

how stupid are you?

well I guess your support of lying Republicans tells us the answer to that question.

Define fake?

What did they fake on the e mails (be specific)

Will wait...

Its could not even be man made a massive solar flare could do the same thing, an example would be the solar flare that left Canada in the dark 30 or so years ago...

I read a bit ago in popular science to protect our electrical grid would be cheap in federal terms, only a few billion dollars...

To put it in perspective Hillary's state department misplaced 6 billion dollars.

You know, I will never be able to understand why all electrical wiring that can possible be put underground isn't. I reside in Florida. Time and again I have witnessed crew from as faraway as Canada come in here after a hurricane and cut trees, put up new poles and string new wires. It costs a fortune every time and families have gone without power for up to two weeks at a time. Put them underground and be done with all that.

Forum List

Back