US Army now lettiing Sikh soldiers wear beards and turbans

I notice no one addressed the REAL reason the Military does not allow Beards. As already noted one can not seal a gas mask so any chemical or biological attack will maim kill or render useless any military person with a beard. A person can not put a helmet on over a turban meaning they are not protected from shrapnel or gun fire on their heads. Further the reason men do not ear long hair or facial hair is alos because it is a hygiene issue when one is in the bush for a few days one can not properly care for long hair or beards. They become a safety and health issue.

Well that is not completely true.

I had a beard for a number of years and was Naval Aircrewman. I routinely had to don O2 masks for flight, OBA (Oxygen Breathing Apparatus), and Gas Masks as part of NBC warfare training.

In the interest of honesty, I will say it was never a "long" beard. By regulation I was requried to keep it short for donning emergency equipment.

Fucking disgusting
Only in Obama's military
Try that shit on Reagan or bush's watch
Never fucking happen assholes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually beards were allowed in Reagan's military. I had one in the Navy up until 1984 when the CNO rescinded the beard authorization.

Just say'n.

>>>>
And tell us if Sikhs wear beards trimmed to the jaw law under neath and cut short? Or if they wear Turbin's that can be instantly removed for putting on a helmet?

I didn't address combat helmets, didn't wear them.

And I said that the regulations at the time specified a short beard.

I was just pointing out Gunny that beards do not preclude wearing a gas mask.

However...

During the BOLC course, the captain was easily able to wear his Kevlar helmet over a custom-made Army Camouflage Uniform turban with rank insignia he had created and paid for himself.

Rattan also worked with an Army tailor to create a flash, or insignia patch, which is worn on Soldiers' berets, and could be attached to his usual black turban with Velcro.

"I was told there were two challenges to allow Sikhs in the military. The first was that we could not put the Kevlar helmet on our heads, which I do every day,"...​

Sikh Soldiers allowed to serve, retain their articles of faith | Article | The United States Army

And to qualify and maintain the exemption...

“While assigned or performing non-hazardous duties, you may wear a beard, turban, and uncut hair in a neat and conservative manner that presents a professional and well-groomed appearance. The bulk of your hair, beard, or turban may not be such that it impairs your ability to wear the Army Combat Helmet (ACH) or other protective equipment or impedes your ability to operate your assigned weapon, military equipment or machinery,” the memo says.​

Army Allows Sikh Soldier to Wear Turban and Beard

WW
Chief Petty Officer
USN Ret.

>>>>

Fire departments don't allow beards, either...because...firefighters have to dawn breathing apparatus and the mask won't seal.

I notice no one addressed the REAL reason the Military does not allow Beards. As already noted one can not seal a gas mask so any chemical or biological attack will maim kill or render useless any military person with a beard. A person can not put a helmet on over a turban meaning they are not protected from shrapnel or gun fire on their heads. Further the reason men do not ear long hair or facial hair is alos because it is a hygiene issue when one is in the bush for a few days one can not properly care for long hair or beards. They become a safety and health issue.

Well that is not completely true.

I had a beard for a number of years and was Naval Aircrewman. I routinely had to don O2 masks for flight, OBA (Oxygen Breathing Apparatus), and Gas Masks as part of NBC warfare training.

In the interest of honesty, I will say it was never a "long" beard. By regulation I was requried to keep it short for donning emergency equipment.

Fucking disgusting
Only in Obama's military
Try that shit on Reagan or bush's watch
Never fucking happen assholes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually beards were allowed in Reagan's military. I had one in the Navy up until 1984 when the CNO rescinded the beard authorization.

Just say'n.

>>>>

Yup...we had 'em up until 1986 in the CG. I was amazed at how many of the guys I was stationed with had weak chins. Our MK1 said his kids didn't recognize him since he'd never been without a beard.

It is true, however, that there is an drop in protection by bearded individuals, someone has already built a better mousetrap in response...

Canadian Defense Minister Made His Own Gas Mask to Work with his Sikh Beard

An OBA, or an SCBA is totally different than the protective masks issued to ground forces.

I've had to don both OBA and Gas Masks, the facepiece is quite similar.

20070111095803!USN_Oba.jpg

wm_6806073.jpg

If you mean SCBA like firefighter's wear with an air tank you your back. Never wore one. If you mean "SCUBA" (as in recreational diving) then that is something different not part of what was being talked about.

Snorkeling.jpg

>>>>

Just say'n.

>>>>
Actually - that was Zumwalt's/Carter's fucked-up Navy. I came in in '76.
Just say'n.

Last I checked Reagan was President starting in 1981. I came in in '78 and hit the fleet in December of '80 and could grow my beard which wasn't allowed in training commands unless you were a fleet returnee.

Just say'n.

>>>>

They allow medical exemptions for beards, now they allow religious ones. This is what always happens when you make exceptions to the rules. Everybody says they're special.

Sikh-American Army Officer Wins Ability to Serve with Beard, Turban

april 1 2016 In a decision by the U.S. Army Thursday, Capt. Simratpal Singh, a decorated Sikh-American officer and combat veteran, has received a long-term religious accommodation to serve with long hair, a beard, and turban in accordance with his Sikh faith.

In March, a U.S. district judge issues a temporary restraining order against additional non-standard, discriminatory testing. According to The Sikh Coalition, which is representing Singh with The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and the law firm of McDermott Will & Emery, Singh is the first Sikh American to receive religious accommodation while already actively serving in the U.S. Army.

Before 1974, Sikh Americans were allowed to serve in the U.S. military with their articles of faith intact. Since 1981, stricter grooming regulations have required requests for religious accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Until now, only three had been granted. Meanwhile, about 50,000 U.S. soldiers have permanent beard exemptions for medical reasons, according to Singh's team.

You DO realize that Sikhs are not Muslim, right?
No, he is too ignorant to understand such a fact.

The propensity of most on the right to get upset over non-issues is ridiculous.

That most on the right attempt to contrive ‘controversies’ where none exist is idiotic.

And the bigotry exhibited toward Muslims by many on the right is reprehensible.
do you even know why we have a rule against beards?

and mulsims like to murder non-muslims, in brutal fashions.

The propensity of most on the right to get upset over non-issues is ridiculous.

That most on the right attempt to contrive ‘controversies’ where none exist is idiotic.

And the bigotry exhibited toward Muslims by many on the right is reprehensible.
do you even know why we have a rule against beards?

and mulsims like to murder non-muslims, in brutal fashions.

You are an idiot....not even worth the key strokes.

Last I checked Reagan was President starting in 1981. I came in in '78 and hit the fleet in December of '80 and could grow my beard which wasn't allowed in training commands unless you were a fleet returnee.

Just say'n.

>>>>

I, quite frankly, don't know what you're babbling about son.
I understand you were in during Reagan and had a beard up to a point - and the Navy outlawed them. I remember that.
When I came in in 76 - and entered the fleet under that idiot Carter - people had beards along the same line as ZZ Top. Many were ex-convicts, or future convicts. Drugs were everywhere. As was racism. Morale sucked. Ships were rotting at the fucking pier. Signs reading "Sailors and dogs keep off the grass" were everywhere. Pay sucked. Berthing compartments were pig-styes. Hell, our Navigator snorted coke in the Wardroom on his duty nights.
The state of the military then is much like Obama's current military.

We don't need Army in Defense only will smaller unit 40,000 or 140,000 in outland's helping in war Chile and S.Korea I will twice.

There should be no exceptions to the rules for anyone

If you don't like it don't join the military

Just say'n.

>>>>

I, quite frankly, don't know what you're babbling about son.
I understand you were in during Reagan and had a beard up to a point - and the Navy outlawed them. I remember that.
When I came in in 76 - and entered the fleet under that idiot Carter - people had beards along the same line as ZZ Top. Many were ex-convicts, or future convicts. Drugs were everywhere. As was racism. Morale sucked. Ships were rotting at the fucking pier. Signs reading "Sailors and dogs keep off the grass" were everywhere. Pay sucked. Berthing compartments were pig-styes. Hell, our Navigator snorted coke in the Wardroom on his duty nights.
The state of the military then is much like Obama's current military.

Its about Sikhs, who are probably some of the peaceful people out there. It is not about your very flawed opinions.

No one has pointed out that this is a return to an older policy? I remember Sikhs being allowed their beards and turbans under Reagan and G.H.W. Bush. The rules changed I think in the late 1980s...but it was grandfathered, and I saw bearded Sikhs in uniform well into the 19990's.

Forum List

Back