US Army now lettiing Sikh soldiers wear beards and turbans

Hey moron you might want to know that Sikhs don't cut their hair and wrap it up in their towels

No shit Sherlock.

Doesn't change the fact that women are allowed to have long hair already.

I dated a 2nd class in San Diego, when she let her hair down it went past her knees.

>>>

But men aren't
IMO the women shouldn't be allowed special treatment either

And I acknowledge your opinion.

>>>>

You've obviously never been to Martinsburg, WV.
i avoid armpits

but a few impoverished communities does not make us something other than a first world nation
We (not this we) are culturally in the dump.
according to you
If you can't see it that would be your problem.
Nope...it's YOUR narrow minded xenophobic problem.

Typical left wing bigoted response.
No analysis, just disparagement. The phobe routine. You're a lefty bigot.

Navy only or Special Forces based away from home
The Navy did have length and grooming standards for beards
The birds' nest Sikh beards would not fly

They were NEVER enforced on my first ship. When the CO is a cocaine addict, the rest of the chain follows suit.
Twas the Navy of the 1970s. What a shit period that was.

No one has yet answered the question I put forth earlier

Why should there be religious exception in the military or anywhere else for that matter?

I'm really sick of the I want to join the military or work at your business but I don't want to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow because of my superstitious beliefs bullshit

I didn't shave the entire time I was there. And showered very rarely. Just too much trouble and no one to smell good for.

Some things never change. Perhaps next time (if ever) you are applying for a job vs. Food Stamps, clean your ass up before your appointment. A little hygiene goes a long way.

The propensity of most on the right to get upset over non-issues is ridiculous.

That most on the right attempt to contrive ‘controversies’ where none exist is idiotic.

And the bigotry exhibited toward Muslims by many on the right is reprehensible.

A gas mask won't seal over facial hair. A helmet won't fit over a turn on. How are you going feel when these exemptions costs soldier's lives in the battlefield. Not to mention the hygene issues that come along with long hair and whiskers.

There are reasons for grooming standards.
Those duck hunters in Louisiana sure look like they have a hygiene issues.

Do they live in the field, sleeping on the ground, going days without a shower? They aren't, are they? Didn't think so.

Why should there be religious exception in the military or anywhere else for that matter?

I'm really sick of the I want to join the military or work at your business but I don't want to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow because of my superstitious beliefs people

The only people who have received special attention, exemptions and unfair promotions, both during my active duty days, and now during my retired days, have been queers and Muslims. What does that tell you ?

I'm really sick of the I want to join the military or work at your business but I don't want to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow because of my superstitious beliefs bullshit

I'll answer the question: it's unconstitutional to give religious exemptions in the military.

I'll answer the question: it's unconstitutional to give religious exemptions in the military.

It's unconstitutional to have them anywhere

An OBA, or an SCBA is totally different than the protective masks issued to ground forces.

I've had to don both OBA and Gas Masks, the facepiece is quite similar.

20070111095803!USN_Oba.jpg

wm_6806073.jpg

If you mean SCBA like firefighter's wear with an air tank you your back. Never wore one. If you mean "SCUBA" (as in recreational diving) then that is something different not part of what was being talked about.

Snorkeling.jpg

>>>>

Without a seal, a mask will allow chemical agents inside the mask, the wearer will inhale the agent and become inabilitated, or die.

I'm really sick of the I want to join the military or work at your business but I don't want to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow because of my superstitious beliefs people

The only people who have received special attention, exemptions and unfair promotions, both during my active duty days, and now during my retired days, have been queers and Muslims. What does that tell you ?
that you're full of shit?

They allow medical exemptions for beards, now they allow religious ones. This is what always happens when you make exceptions to the rules. Everybody says they're special.

Sikh-American Army Officer Wins Ability to Serve with Beard, Turban

april 1 2016 In a decision by the U.S. Army Thursday, Capt. Simratpal Singh, a decorated Sikh-American officer and combat veteran, has received a long-term religious accommodation to serve with long hair, a beard, and turban in accordance with his Sikh faith.

In March, a U.S. district judge issues a temporary restraining order against additional non-standard, discriminatory testing. According to The Sikh Coalition, which is representing Singh with The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and the law firm of McDermott Will & Emery, Singh is the first Sikh American to receive religious accommodation while already actively serving in the U.S. Army.

Before 1974, Sikh Americans were allowed to serve in the U.S. military with their articles of faith intact. Since 1981, stricter grooming regulations have required requests for religious accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Until now, only three had been granted. Meanwhile, about 50,000 U.S. soldiers have permanent beard exemptions for medical reasons, according to Singh's team.
America under obuthole has lost its identity.
please, describe the 'lost' identity
World leader reduced to a laughing stock with a clown for its president.
Nope...no matter how much you RWrs say it.
Yep, no matter how much you libtards deny it.

An OBA, or an SCBA is totally different than the protective masks issued to ground forces.

wm_6806073.jpg

If you mean SCBA like firefighter's wear with an air tank you your back. Never wore one. If you mean "SCUBA" (as in recreational diving) then that is something different not part of what was being talked about.

Snorkeling.jpg

>>>>

Without a seal, a mask will allow chemical agents inside the mask, the wearer will inhale the agent and become inabilitated, or die.

No kidding.

What's that got to do with the fact that having a beard DOES NOT mean you will have a bad seal?

I wore a beard for years and had no problem getting a good seal on my Aircrew O2 Mask, OBA masks, or Gas Masks.

BTW - Did you know the Army currently has 50,000 exemptions for beards? Know how many for Sikh there are? 4 (with 3 more in the works).

>>>>

that you're full of shit?

No - stupid - it tells you that only cocksuckers (which, you are one of) and Muslims (who you adore) receive special compensation, which will both end when President Trump is inaugurated. So, enjoy giving your last few blow-jobs soonest. Just a tip.
Thanks.

Really? Because there is a Pg 13 (Record of Memorandum) entry required for every Native American who is in the military and is observant of their Native American faith. Every year, they are allowed to go home and take peyote as part of their religious observance. The Pg 13 entry states that the person went home on leave for religious reasons, and that they are going to be taking peyote, and because of that are exempt from urine tests for the next 30 days.

There have also been times that I was stationed with Muslims, and they were allowed to wear their little lace head covering, as well as exceptions were made for those of the Jewish faith for their head coverings as well.

It even said in the OP that Sikhs were allowed to wear their religious items with their uniform up until they changed the rules in the mid 70's. And, 3 of those items that they wear are articles of faith for them.

BTW................not everyone who wears a turban is a Muslim. Sikhs have a more universal view of God than Islam does, and Sikhs aren't really interested in converting anyone to their faith.

Really? Because there is a Pg 13 (Record of Memorandum) entry required for every Native American who is in the military and is observant of their Native American faith. Every year, they are allowed to go home and take peyote as part of their religious observance. The Pg 13 entry states that the person went home on leave for religious reasons, and that they are going to be taking peyote, and because of that are exempt from urine tests for the next 30 days.

There have also been times that I was stationed with Muslims, and they were allowed to wear their little lace head covering, as well as exceptions were made for those of the Jewish faith for their head coverings as well.

It even said in the OP that Sikhs were allowed to wear their religious items with their uniform up until they changed the rules in the mid 70's. And, 3 of those items that they wear are articles of faith for them.

BTW................not everyone who wears a turban is a Muslim. Sikhs have a more universal view of God than Islam does, and Sikhs aren't really interested in converting anyone to their faith.

Indians shouldn't be allowed to take peyote, either, although there's a bit of a difference because they're not doing it on post, on duty, etc.

A Muslim or Jewish skull cap doesn't inhibit the wear of regulation head gear. A turbin most certainly does.

And yes, I know the difference between a Sikh and Muslim. I never made any comment stating otherwise.

All religions are able to wear articles of faith with, not on, their uniform--big difference. Unless they changed AR 670-1 SINCE December of 2000.

When 2/156 INF, 256 INF BD, of the Louisiana National Gaurd was deployed to operation Iraqi Freedom, they were authorized to temporarily wear unauthorized religious articles with their uniform.

Anymore hairs to split?

wm_6806073.jpg

Snorkeling.jpg

>>>>

No kidding.

What's that got to do with the fact that having a beard DOES NOT mean you will have a bad seal?

I wore a beard for years and had no problem getting a good seal on my Aircrew O2 Mask, OBA masks, or Gas Masks.

BTW - Did you know the Army currently has 50,000 exemptions for beards? Know how many for Sikh there are? 4 (with 3 more in the works).

>>>>

I think you're lying about getting a perfect seal on your mask. I've seen a few days stubble cause a mask not to seal.

Forum List

Back