USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hello friends, as some know I've been pretty busy with Mrs O, in and out of the Hospital these past 4 months. She has entered end stage Liver disease, I'm going to talk with her doctors about changing her treatment to a palliative Care. There is no sense in trying to cure something that is incurable. Best for her that we treat the symptoms and make her as comfortable as possible. There are some here who can get messages to me if need be....
My heartfelt prayers for you and yours, that's how I lost my mom. At least it was a painless way to go.

Hello friends, as some know I've been pretty busy with Mrs O, in and out of the Hospital these past 4 months. She has entered end stage Liver disease, I'm going to talk with her doctors about changing her treatment to a palliative Care. There is no sense in trying to cure something that is incurable. Best for her that we treat the symptoms and make her as comfortable as possible. There are some here who can get messages to me if need be....

So sorry for you and Mrs. O. I hope she is as comfortable as can be under the circumstances.

Oh Ollie. I am so sorry. Is this a fairly recent diagnosis? My heart and prayers are with you and her and your family, and I know I will be joining in that with your many other friends here.

I am sorry to hear this news. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

So sorry, Ollie. I hope you always remember that you have friends here to lean on if you need them.:smiliehug:

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

th

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

As for security, I wouldn't mind concealed carry but it would add too much weight for my preferences most of the time. I carry a teensy purse just big enough for a small wallet, my cell phone, fountain pin, lip gloss/chap stick, finger nail file. You know all the essentials. And I keep that concealed when I am out and about. A shoulder purse is too tempting and too easy for thieves to grab and run and they don't care if they injure you in the process. We are advised to not only be wary of people on foot but those who might drive by close to you and grab that shoulder strap.

I avoid shopping at night if I am alone. And I avoid underground or dark parking garages or other places where people are more vulnerable. An ounce of prevention and all that. The risk is relatively small but what there is can have such terrible consequences we don't need to invite it.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm really not scared about such things. I think about "what are the odds?" and they are pretty low, especially in my area. Of course, crimes happen but not too often. I live in a fairly small town. I've gone for walks many times by myself at nighttime and/or early in the morning. Do I have a false sense of security? I don't know, but I just don't normally worry about such things.

TK, and TK's grandma,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

th

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

I've given up my job hunt for the time being. :( I haven't had much luck. Most of the jobs out there in my area are part time or temp jobs. I've applied at a few different places and, although they were listed as being temp agencies, that is what they were. Kind of takes the wind out of my sails. I haven't given up entirely though. My resume is out there on a couple of different job sites and I will start looking actively again soon. I'm just taking a break for now.

TK, and TK's grandma,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,

th

I had to switch computers this morning. Firefox was down so I am on my Chromebook, Acer 15. This is a great unit for watching TV since cutting the cord on cable. Great sized screen and very good speakers. Can even stream Fox News, although it is an .exe file. I need to talk to Ringel05 when he gets settled, about it all. :)

I won't be around posting here in the evening tonight, and maybe not tomorrow or the next night either. I'm putting in some overtime so that I can pay my very expensive electric bill so I don't have that hanging over my head this summer. They would like me to go on a payment plan where I pay all year, but no way. I'm going to put in some OT and use that money to pay it off completely. Times are tough living here in MA. Very, very tough. They raised our electric rates 37% this year. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if Assachusetts loses some residents because of it either. Really, the only thing keeping me here is my family. All of my family live in this part of the country (Maine and Massachusetts mostly).

As for security, I wouldn't mind concealed carry but it would add too much weight for my preferences most of the time. I carry a teensy purse just big enough for a small wallet, my cell phone, fountain pin, lip gloss/chap stick, finger nail file. You know all the essentials. And I keep that concealed when I am out and about. A shoulder purse is too tempting and too easy for thieves to grab and run and they don't care if they injure you in the process. We are advised to not only be wary of people on foot but those who might drive by close to you and grab that shoulder strap.

I avoid shopping at night if I am alone. And I avoid underground or dark parking garages or other places where people are more vulnerable. An ounce of prevention and all that. The risk is relatively small but what there is can have such terrible consequences we don't need to invite it.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm really not scared about such things. I think about "what are the odds?" and they are pretty low, especially in my area. Of course, crimes happen but not too often. I live in a fairly small town. I've gone for walks many times by myself at nighttime and/or early in the morning. Do I have a false sense of security? I don't know, but I just don't normally worry about such things.

Well it's not about being stupid, rather about taking risks which I do when I am driving...lol. If drivers would go the speed limit I wouldn't have to take as many.

I don't know you, but I'm really sorry about your wife. Must be tough. :( Best wishes to you.

I am so sorry Ollie. I suspected liver disease when you mentioned your wife was frequently having elevated ammonia levels a number of months ago.

There is a lab on a comp met panel that measures something called bilirubin. This is a direct measure of how the liver is functioning. LFT's (liver enzymes) can show if the liver is stressed, but bilirubin will precisely indicate long term liver health.

Please have your wife's doctor explain this to both of you. The more information you and your wife have generally the better. :)

I am sorry you both are having to deal with this. Sending good thoughts your way.

Here is a copy of an email I got from a business that I apparently applied for online. Most, if not all, of the jobs in my line of work are advertised online. You can't just go into a place and expect to fill out an application. Everything is done online now. Anyway, here is just another example of why job hunting online is just awful.

Here it is:

are you ready to come our office tomorrow?

if you ready then visit our company sites & fill the job form.

after fill up the form reply us here. then i will send you our office address.

visit here - New Employee Form

That's it. The End ~

AS you can see, there was no link provided, no company name given, no information at all. I've responded to probably 100 ads on Craigs List. I have no idea what company this is. The person who emailed me is a person name and not a company name.

So, I sent a polite email response asking if they had a link they could give me to fill out the application. :rolleyes-41:

So sorry to hear Ollie.
You and your family are in our Prayers.
Please take care of yourself.

Here is a copy of an email I got from a business that I apparently applied for online. Most, if not all, of the jobs in my line of work are advertised online. You can't just go into a place and expect to fill out an application. Everything is done online now. Anyway, here is just another example of why job hunting online is just awful.

Here it is:

are you ready to come our office tomorrow?

if you ready then visit our company sites & fill the job form.

after fill up the form reply us here. then i will send you our office address.

visit here - New Employee Form

That's it. The End ~

AS you can see, there was no link provided, no company name given, no information at all. I've responded to probably 100 ads on Craigs List. I have no idea what company this is. The person who emailed me is a person name and not a company name.

So, I sent a polite email response asking if they had a link they could give me to fill out the application. :rolleyes-41:

Holy cow. Considering the inability to punctuate, the awkward phrasing/bad English etc. I would not respond to this if they did mention a company. Sounds like a scam to me.

TK, and TK's grandma,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,

th

I've given up my job hunt for the time being. :( I haven't had much luck. Most of the jobs out there in my area are part time or temp jobs. I've applied at a few different places and, although they were listed as being temp agencies, that is what they were. Kind of takes the wind out of my sails. I haven't given up entirely though. My resume is out there on a couple of different job sites and I will start looking actively again soon. I'm just taking a break for now.

Don't give up Chris. Just take your job hunting as an avocation instead of a second vocation. You network--are you on Linked In?--and just keep your ear to the ground. People you know, don't give them the impression you want them to find you a job, but let them know if they hear of anything interesting to give you a head up.

Due to a hostile takeover of his company years ago, our son lost his management job that had become pretty much of a nightmare--Gulf coast Beaumont area. He was a basket case at that point so he put out several dozen resumes on the internet and he and family took a 10-day vacation just so he could regroup and get back into better mental and physical condition. So they return home and he eagerly gets to his computer. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. And he said "Shit!" So he puts his name in with a couple of head hunters and does some free lance work for a few months just to keep from draining their bank account and one day here comes a inquiry from a company he had applied to but didn't really expect to hear from. He follows it up the inquiry and the next thing they're moving him to the Texas Panhandle and he has a better job with far more opportunity for upward mobility, great pay and benefits, and they even bought his house in southeast Texas so he didn't have to worry about that. It wasn't anything he had even considered doing previously and it has been great for him and his family. And because very few people of his rank and qualifications want to live in the Texas Panhandle, he also has great job security. :)

So you never know. You don't give up. You just settle in and wait for the right thing to show up.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back