USMB Coffee Shop IV

And good morning everybody. Just enjoying a cup of coffee and goofing off a bit waiting to leave for church. Hard to believe it is Palm Sunday already and Easter next Sunday. There will be a procession with the little kids waving their palm branches winding all through the church. Even now all these decades later, I remember how much fun it was as a kid to do that.

We could see our first 80 degree temps of the season today. We'll see how it goes. This time of year it is always tough to know when to shut down the furnace and fire up the swamp cooler. It still gets down into the low 40's at night.

Those nights sound wonderful. When living in the foothills of the Sierras of northern CA, the summertime temps would be around 80 and fall dramatically at night. I loved those nights. Would jump in the hot tub on the deck and gaze at the stars. Had a handsome and beloved hubby to keep me company. ( most times alone though ) :(

:( Sorry, AA. You seem like a wonderful lady and person and deserve someone wonderful to spend your life with.

Oh ChrisL, my sweetness, I do have someone to spend my happy and contented life with and that is myself. The only times I have ever been lonely in life were when I was married. I was born to be independent but had to learn that the hard way. I tried the other ways that involved compromise and co-dependency and it didn't suit me. Now I am 100%.

This way, a great cat and a sweetie, who doesn't live close enough to me, to want to see me at his convenience, putting me in a position to go negative on him, makes for a very happy lifestyle. People tell me, you are so lucky and I tell them I design my life and to me, luck is the residue of design.

I have found, for the most part, people do what they love to do. :thup:
Truest, AA. I am also not intended for a dual existence. Alone does not equate to lonely...not by a long shot. I've been married many times but am most comfortable, and happy, when I am living a solo existence.

Good luck with all of that. Sorry to hear you're having problems. I have to agree with AA, that I would be VERY stressed. :lol: I think, a lot of times, men might handle stress better than women.

I think security of her own nest and environment is probably more important to more women than it is to most men. I'm more like Ringel though and pro-active when things are going to hell in a hand basket. And I am maybe a bit better than Hombre is in accepting that sometimes things go to hell in a hand basket and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it so we might as well not make things harder than they have to be.

But he is more flexible than I am in adapting to different situations even though he gets terribly frustrated when people don't behave as he thinks they should. Going shopping with him in a group is an adventure, The rest of us spread out in a large store and just sort of keep track of the general location or direction of everybody else out of the corner of our eye or whatever. He worries like an old mother hen that we aren't all together--we'll lose somebody--and gets frustrated with the herding cats situation. :)
He sounds a little like me but I don't worry when everyone spreads out shopping what gets me are the people who are oblivious to anyone else around them, hence they're always in the way and when the wife says "I need to check on this, it'll only take a couple of minutes", then I'm waiting where I hope she can see me for a half hour........
We had to do Wally-World today for some "quick" shopping, didn't get there until 11:30am........ Big mistake......... Never go on weekends and NEVER go close to noon.

Do you mean Walmart?

The one that I go to seems to be always jam packed, and they never seem to have enough cashiers. I hate going there. A new Market Basket store just opened up, and I like going there better. It's not less packed, but they always have most of their registers open so the lines aren't SO bad, and they have a much better selection at Market Basket.
I do most of my shopping at the commissary or a local place, Fred Meyer. Unfortunately, only Walmart stocks my preferred dog and cat kibble. First few ingredients of those foods are meat or meat by-products, as opposed to corn meal.

I do love Fred Meyer and their stores and customer service. I shop there, too, but since grocery prices started their accent, I shop at Walmart, for those. I go between 8 and 10 in the mornings when things are very pleasant and the cashiers haven't had the bummers of the day. I am a very friendly person in public and those cashiers really react to that very cordially and with fun and efficiency. No complaints. I tell them how good they are at customer service and what great packaging they do for me, when I ask them to double-bag the stuff that needs it. They used to have some good sturdy bags but they are having to cut corners too, since giving everyone raises.
Oh, yeah, the price increases at FM have seen me shopping a lot more at the commissary. I do like the gas discounts, though, so what is approximate or even less than the commissary gets bought at FM. The commissary will put my stuff into paper bags, which I do prefer.

Quite a bit done but still a long way to go. Currently I'm in heaven, first hot shower and shave since Thursday last week, no more rinsing in cold water with a wash rag......... I may not look it but at least I feel human again. :D

Glad to hear you're on your way back to normality...and I know exactly how that first hot shower feels after a period of enforced cold water bathing!

I've think I've become the general maintenance dude for pretty much everyone I know. :eusa_shifty:

Guys...if you're handy....please, for the Love of God....keep it under wraps. :)

Morning all !

Tuesday's smile.
horse-taking-a-bath.jpg

I-know-nothing-about-the-hole-in-the-yard.jpg

Okay I'm out for the evening everybody. Everybody have a good night and report back in the morning.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Noomi!!!
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

th

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
Foxy! Thankfully, we can take Max and me off the list.
Max's stitches are out and he is healing nicely. He even worked second shift Friday and Saturday and was in for a couple hours yesterday to get a new beertender familiar with the Point of Sale system.

My bronchitis is much better and the Advair is helping a lot with the COPD. Still on Doxicycline for the tick bite, but it looks like Lyme's has been thwarted.

I've think I've become the general maintenance dude for pretty much everyone I know. :eusa_shifty:

Guys...if you're handy....please, for the Love of God....keep it under wraps. :)
I hear ya! That's one of the reasons I moved to Alabama. In Florida, I was plumber, electrician, carpenter and auto mechanic for everyone. Rarely did my "friends" pay me for my time. I was usually lucky to get paid for parts.

He sounds a little like me but I don't worry when everyone spreads out shopping what gets me are the people who are oblivious to anyone else around them, hence they're always in the way and when the wife says "I need to check on this, it'll only take a couple of minutes", then I'm waiting where I hope she can see me for a half hour........
We had to do Wally-World today for some "quick" shopping, didn't get there until 11:30am........ Big mistake......... Never go on weekends and NEVER go close to noon.

Do you mean Walmart?

The one that I go to seems to be always jam packed, and they never seem to have enough cashiers. I hate going there. A new Market Basket store just opened up, and I like going there better. It's not less packed, but they always have most of their registers open so the lines aren't SO bad, and they have a much better selection at Market Basket.
Yeah, Walmart (Wally-World, Stuff Mart). I've found that most times if one goes before 10m and after 9pm they're not very busy, the only drawbacks being even less registers are open and going the evening you're dealing with stockers and all that entails.

I would definitely prefer to go at night though. Lol. That is MUCH better than dealing with the crowds, IMO. :D
Our Walmart is open 24 hours which makes it nice for me. I can leave the bar at 2 AM and go pick up a needed maintenance item or a few pairs of socks. No lines and friendly cashiers that compete to have you use their aisle.

Ours is open 24 hours too. I rarely go late at night, but it is MUCH better when I do. I should really start doing that.

Going into a Walmart late at night would be something I would avoid. Danger lurks everywhere, especially for a woman, alone. I do walk with a serious gait though and that is supposed to be a deterrent for possible harm, and according to what I have read. Haughty walk with head UP!

I think security of her own nest and environment is probably more important to more women than it is to most men. I'm more like Ringel though and pro-active when things are going to hell in a hand basket. And I am maybe a bit better than Hombre is in accepting that sometimes things go to hell in a hand basket and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it so we might as well not make things harder than they have to be.

But he is more flexible than I am in adapting to different situations even though he gets terribly frustrated when people don't behave as he thinks they should. Going shopping with him in a group is an adventure, The rest of us spread out in a large store and just sort of keep track of the general location or direction of everybody else out of the corner of our eye or whatever. He worries like an old mother hen that we aren't all together--we'll lose somebody--and gets frustrated with the herding cats situation. :)

Do you mean Walmart?

I do most of my shopping at the commissary or a local place, Fred Meyer. Unfortunately, only Walmart stocks my preferred dog and cat kibble. First few ingredients of those foods are meat or meat by-products, as opposed to corn meal.

I do love Fred Meyer and their stores and customer service. I shop there, too, but since grocery prices started their accent, I shop at Walmart, for those. I go between 8 and 10 in the mornings when things are very pleasant and the cashiers haven't had the bummers of the day. I am a very friendly person in public and those cashiers really react to that very cordially and with fun and efficiency. No complaints. I tell them how good they are at customer service and what great packaging they do for me, when I ask them to double-bag the stuff that needs it. They used to have some good sturdy bags but they are having to cut corners too, since giving everyone raises.
Oh, yeah, the price increases at FM have seen me shopping a lot more at the commissary. I do like the gas discounts, though, so what is approximate or even less than the commissary gets bought at FM. The commissary will put my stuff into paper bags, which I do prefer.

Gallantwarrior, do you know that Kroger bought out our Fred Meyer ( Freddies ) in 1998? Probably a good thing so they can order in higher quantities saving us a few. lol

SNIP:

Published: October 20, 1998

The Kroger Company said yesterday that it would acquire Fred Meyer Inc. in a deal that would create a supermarket giant with $43 billion in annual revenue and 2,200 stores in 31 states.

Kroger will pay about $8 billion in stock for Fred Meyer and assume $4.8 billion of the company's debt, further consolidating the grocery business and creating the largest supermarket chain in the country. With the latest transaction, Kroger regains the spot it lost to Albertson's Inc. as the nation's largest supplier of eggs and milk.

The acquisition gives Kroger the status of the leading chain, stretching from the fast-growing Western markets, where Portland-based Fred Meyer is strong, to the Midwest and the Southeast, where the Cincinnati-based company has many stores and much visibility. The move also gives Kroger even greater purchasing power and substantial economies of scale.

more: Kroger to Buy Fred Meyer Creating Country s Biggest Grocer - NYTimes.com

Here, you could pack heat....

I would feel more comfortable being able to hold a gun in my hand when walking alone at night anywhere, these days. I do know how to aim one and hit a target. But watch, I would be the one going to prison if I shot someone trying to attack me. Weird days.

I hear ya! That's one of the reasons I moved to Alabama. In Florida, I was plumber, electrician, carpenter and auto mechanic for everyone. Rarely did my "friends" pay me for my time. I was usually lucky to get paid for parts.

Then they weren't really friends Ernie.
Real friends do not use other friends like that.
Our car broke down on the highway Friday and we had to have it towed back to Benson. Our friend came and got us and took us back home. The next morning we took him out for a big breakfast to thank him. That is true friendship.

The parade of deliveries continues today with the closet organizers. Vinyl coated wire closet shelves, hanging racks and baskets are coming this afternoon. The tiffany style bedside table lamps should be here by Good Friday.

Last night my cabinet maker dropped off the bedside tables along with a sample of the poplar he used to build the bed and the tables. I'll take that scrap of poplar to the paint store to test stain colors. All the colors I've seen are 1) on a tablet or a computer monitor, so I'm not absolutely certain about the real color and 2) they are shown on either oak or pine and, again, I'm not certain about the color on poplar.

So he dropped off the tables, and that is my last requirement from him. I've given him over $2,000 for furniture this spring. He praised me as a great customer, probably because I kept giving him business and I give him a bank draft upon delivery. I always brew up a pot of coffee whenever he stops by, but last night he mentioned my collection of single malt scotch whisky. I poured some of The Balvenie Double Wood on him and poured a dram for myself. This was 5:30 yesterday afternoon.

I promised Daisy the Mutt we would go to the park as soon as my cabinet maker left.

After one tumbler of scotch, he began regaling me with colorful stories. After my first dram, I began regaling him as well (being a loquacious story teller myself, we found ourselves needing more fuel to power the lies we were telling each other)

Meanwhile, Daisy, after climbing up on his chest and begging attention from him, decided to lay on the floor and chew one of the many pieces of rawhide she stores around the house. By now it's 7:45.

Finally, after a cheerful congratulations on the furniture and my sterling taste, he left. Now, it was Daisy time to walk.

We got to the park at dusk and I found myself staggering around the roadway feeding Daisy bits of chicken jerky and encouraging her to 'find the squirrels'. After two scotch fueled laps, it was too dark to continue, and I had yet to have dinner.

What did I learn last night? My cabinet maker is an avid sculler with a 28 foot long shell weighing in at, well, 28 pounds. And, three drams of The Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old single malt is more than enough to make me a bit buzzed without first having a satisfying meal.

Here, you could pack heat....

I would feel more comfortable being able to hold a gun in my hand when walking alone at night anywhere, these days. I do know how to aim one and hit a target. But watch, I would be the one going to prison if I shot someone trying to attack me. Weird days.
In Alabama, that is perfectly legal, except, of course schools, court houses and police stations (odd there, huh)
Carrying is a huge responsibility. You can't carry scared because your judgment is impaired and people tend to perceive threats all around them.
I carry most of the time, or as I'll tell customers, "5 days a week, guess which ones."
Some people call CCP holders paranoid. Nope I feel safe. "Happiness is a Warm Gun"

Then they weren't really friends Ernie.
Real friends do not use other friends like that.
Our car broke down on the highway Friday and we had to have it towed back to Benson. Our friend came and got us and took us back home. The next morning we took him out for a big breakfast to thank him. That is true friendship.
Oh, these people would invite us over for a great feed from time to time. The biggest problem was of my making. I will drop everything to help someone out. Hell! I drive drunks home from Doc's all the time when I should be working or sleeping, or relaxing.

Do you mean Walmart?

Yeah, Walmart (Wally-World, Stuff Mart). I've found that most times if one goes before 10m and after 9pm they're not very busy, the only drawbacks being even less registers are open and going the evening you're dealing with stockers and all that entails.

I would definitely prefer to go at night though. Lol. That is MUCH better than dealing with the crowds, IMO. :D
Our Walmart is open 24 hours which makes it nice for me. I can leave the bar at 2 AM and go pick up a needed maintenance item or a few pairs of socks. No lines and friendly cashiers that compete to have you use their aisle.

Ours is open 24 hours too. I rarely go late at night, but it is MUCH better when I do. I should really start doing that.

Going into a Walmart late at night would be something I would avoid. Danger lurks everywhere, especially for a woman, alone. I do walk with a serious gait though and that is supposed to be a deterrent for possible harm, and according to what I have read. Haughty walk with head UP!

I'm not scared! :biggrin: I live in a very low crime area, thankfully. Our Walmart has a brightly lit parking lot, and I would just park close to the door.

Forum List

Back