USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everyone! Happy Friday! Does anyone have any fun plans for the weekend? My best friend and I are having a joint birthday party tomorrow afternoon. Some bowling with a pitcher of beer (or three) and than back to my house for a PJ/board game party. I am super excited. Cheers!

Sounds REALLY fun, mdk. Birthday wishes to all. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Good morning everyone! Happy Friday! Does anyone have any fun plans for the weekend? My best friend and I are having a joint birthday party tomorrow afternoon. Some bowling with a pitcher of beer (or three) and than back to my house for a PJ/board game party. I am super excited. Cheers!

Sounds REALLY fun, mdk. Birthday wishes to all. :)

Thanks. It is 12 days away and hers was two weeks ago but we've always done a joint party. Having two parties in the same month seems a bit excessive and we've had this tradition since our early days of college. Sadly, I am not that great at bowling so I am going to have to hope for some wins at the board game table. lol.

Sounds great mdk and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! whichever day it actually is. Hombre's birthday was yesterday, but we've sort of been celebrating it all week.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MDK!!!

Sounds great mdk and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! whichever day it actually was. Hombre's birthday was yesterday, but we've sort of been celebrating it all week.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MDK!!!

Thanks my friend. Happy Belated Birthday to Hombre as well!

Still having "fun" unpacking, had a major burst of energy yesterday, the living room is mostly set up, as I'm going through boxes some stuff is being set aside for donation. Went through my DVD collection and about 20 DVDs were culled out plus I found some PC games I've been looking for for the last couple of years. The library is coming along, waiting on Ikea to send pins for the adjustable shelving, can't find the ones we packed 3 years ago. Once I can get the shelves set up we can start going through all the books and cull out what we no longer want to keep. Also made a sleight dent in the garage but have a long way to go with that.
Have a lawn service rep coming by today, tenants are responsible for yard upkeep and eight tenths of the 1/4 acre lot is xeroscaped with weeds and grass growing everywhere they're not supposed to then I have to take the Prius in to have a "problem" light checked out so I had to drop the wife off at work this morning.
Good to see long lost posters drop in for a cup of coffee and say hi. :thup:

Yes, so good to see them and hope they come back and revitalize at least one portion of what used to be, a board filled with vitality.

Ringel05, are you still recommending Avast as an anti-virus program? McAfee is close to renewal and I want to drop it. I also have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes and they caught two Trojans, recently. So I will be looking for an anti-virus program that will work well with MB. :) Any advice would be appreciated from my go-to techie guy. :)

I'm not Ringel of course, but I have been using Avast for years now and it hasn't allowed any uglies into any of our computers. I especially appreciate a feature of it that updates other running programs on my computer--Java, Adobe, Firefox etc.--without me having to worry about whether I'm dealing with those programs or some bogus outfit pretending to update. Avast asks you if you want to update them and once you give permission it takes care of it.

It catches all viruses and trojans and at least most malware--not sure if it does as good a job with that as Malwarebytes though. According to the report, it has caught and stopped more than 78,000 malware attempts in the last few months.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Ringel using avast, anyone really surprised? Anyone?

His favorite constant is probably Planck's...

Okay, so I have a working hypothesis on America's problems with math. Chinese people are really good at math for the most part. They have a harder language to learn and write, so I theorize if we learned Chinese, math would get easier. I mean, even babies can learn English here in America. It is too easy to read and write it.

I must say, I am duly impressed with the patrons of the coffee shop. I think I may just visit more often.You guys are beautiful. I hope for you all to have a wonderful day. Thanks for making USMB a better place

Now for the task at hand.

expresso_latte_lg.jpg

I agree Pixie, don't make it in here often anymore, actually not on the site very much anymore these days. Does anyone know what happened to Meister? I noticed he hasn't been around since last August?

He left long ago, even before the USMB format change. I miss him and so many other interesting posters, however it sure is nice to have PixieStix drop in. I have thought of her often. If it weren't for the Coffee Shop....:eusa_think:
I miss Pix and Meister on SO many levels....

Okay, so I have a working hypothesis on America's problems with math. Chinese people are really good at math for the most part. They have a harder language to learn and write, so I theorize if we learned Chinese, math would get easier. I mean, even babies can learn English here in America. It is too easy to read and write it.

Interesting concept except that I don't agree English is an easy language to learn because of the thousands of inconsistencies that there are no rules for and just have to be learned and remembered.

But I have also read that the structure of the Chinese language is such that it trains the brain so that math does come more naturally to those who speak fluent Chinese. At least it is a conforting thought to me that my Chinese friends just have an advantage in that way and maybe they really aren't so much more smarter than me as they appear to be. :)

I must say, I am duly impressed with the patrons of the coffee shop. I think I may just visit more often.You guys are beautiful. I hope for you all to have a wonderful day. Thanks for making USMB a better place

expresso_latte_lg.jpg

I agree Pixie, don't make it in here often anymore, actually not on the site very much anymore these days. Does anyone know what happened to Meister? I noticed he hasn't been around since last August?

He left long ago, even before the USMB format change. I miss him and so many other interesting posters, however it sure is nice to have PixieStix drop in. I have thought of her often. If it weren't for the Coffee Shop....:eusa_think:

Oh that reminds me Ernie. I need to get back to the 'bug' thread to report that I checked on this computer and the rich text editor box was checked. But still no bbcode editor shows up on this computer unless I access USMB through AOL. And it is a pain when I'm not in AOL.

I'm at a loss to correct the problem. I've tried everything I can think of. No bbcode editor on Google Chrome, IE, Firefox, Duckduckgo. Only on AOL. Sigh.

And the problem only exists here at USMB--not on any of the other boards I visit occasionally.

Morning !

We are having a short two day cold spell which is normal for about this time of the year for us. 71 high today with 32 low tonight.

the-funny-animals-72.jpg

For sure the 40 degree swings in temperature teach us how to layer. You need a lot of warmth in the early mornings and summer attire by afternoon. :)

Here is a neat word to think about. My great nephew who is something of a philosopher--he takes after his Aunt Foxfyre :)--found this recently and I thought it especially profound:

sonder

n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.​

Sort of gives a different perspective doesn't it?

Interesting concept except that I don't agree English is an easy language to learn because of the thousands of inconsistencies that there are no rules for and just have to be learned and remembered.

But I have also read that the structure of the Chinese language is such that it trains the brain so that math does come more naturally to those who speak fluent Chinese. At least it is a conforting thought to me that my Chinese friends just have an advantage in that way and maybe they really aren't so much more smarter than me as they appear to be. :)

Starting to learn Chinese, repeating Chop Suey over and over.

Still having "fun" unpacking, had a major burst of energy yesterday, the living room is mostly set up, as I'm going through boxes some stuff is being set aside for donation. Went through my DVD collection and about 20 DVDs were culled out plus I found some PC games I've been looking for for the last couple of years. The library is coming along, waiting on Ikea to send pins for the adjustable shelving, can't find the ones we packed 3 years ago. Once I can get the shelves set up we can start going through all the books and cull out what we no longer want to keep. Also made a sleight dent in the garage but have a long way to go with that.
Have a lawn service rep coming by today, tenants are responsible for yard upkeep and eight tenths of the 1/4 acre lot is xeroscaped with weeds and grass growing everywhere they're not supposed to then I have to take the Prius in to have a "problem" light checked out so I had to drop the wife off at work this morning.
Good to see long lost posters drop in for a cup of coffee and say hi. :thup:

Yes, so good to see them and hope they come back and revitalize at least one portion of what used to be, a board filled with vitality.

Ringel05, are you still recommending Avast as an anti-virus program? McAfee is close to renewal and I want to drop it. I also have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes and they caught two Trojans, recently. So I will be looking for an anti-virus program that will work well with MB. :) Any advice would be appreciated from my go-to techie guy. :)
I've used the free version of Avast for years with no problems. There is a paid version including some other products they offer that will "pop up" in the lower right corner of your screen for sale but you can turn that off in settings or at least set the popup time to one second.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Whenever I see tons of books whether in libraries or bookstores I'm always reminded of a line in the movie Robin and Marion where the Baron replies to the Sheriff about getting knowledge from books; "Books are for clods". Soon after the Baron gets sent packing by Robin and his Merry Men.
Don't remember if they were wearing tights in that movie........ :eusa_whistle:

expresso_latte_lg.jpg

Oh that reminds me Ernie. I need to get back to the 'bug' thread to report that I checked on this computer and the rich text editor box was checked. But still no bbcode editor shows up on this computer unless I access USMB through AOL. And it is a pain when I'm not in AOL.

I'm at a loss to correct the problem. I've tried everything I can think of. No bbcode editor on Google Chrome, IE, Firefox, Duckduckgo. Only on AOL. Sigh.

And the problem only exists here at USMB--not on any of the other boards I visit occasionally.
I'm at a loss...

expresso_latte_lg.jpg

Pixie.....

Love having you in the coffeeshop. I hope you come back.

Hey folks....

Sherry and me are off on our week long adventure to Virginia. Going to Monticello as you know, Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. See you guys in a week or so. We'll share a few pics when we get back.

Much love to all the coffeeshop folks from both of us. :)

Forum List

Back