USMB Coffee Shop IV

The latest in men's fashion:

c1.jpg

I just started using Microsoft security essential and twice now it has closed this site with the warning that a link hosted by USMB could harm my computer. Here is the link. I posted this in the feedback forum.

9cgcy5.boost.troonunderwriting.com

Avast warns me about USMB too from time to time but does not shut me down. It just advises me that it has blocked the unwanted 'intruder' and that is almost certainly associated with some advertising that lurks on the fringes. And it has a sandbox feature that runs something it is suspicious about but is not sufficiently alarming to block and quarantine in its entirety.
Norton gives me the message that USMB is a suspicious website and recommends I don't enter the site. I have the option to bypass the warning...but it makes me wonder what's up and whether or not I should enter the site.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
I just started using Microsoft security essential and twice now it has closed this site with the warning that a link hosted by USMB could harm my computer. Here is the link. I posted this in the feedback forum.

Avast warns me about USMB too from time to time but does not shut me down. It just advises me that it has blocked the unwanted 'intruder' and that is almost certainly associated with some advertising that lurks on the fringes. And it has a sandbox feature that runs something it is suspicious about but is not sufficiently alarming to block and quarantine in its entirety.
Norton gives me the message that USMB is a suspicious website and recommends I don't enter the site. I have the option to bypass the warning...but it makes me wonder what's up and whether or not I should enter the site.
I would screenshot the warning and PM it to Cereal_Killer. That will kill a site in a hurry.

• Thanks
Reactions: jan

I would screenshot the warning and PM it to Cereal_Killer. That will kill a site in a hurry.

This is what I'm getting...

symres:blocked-redx.png

symres:blocked-norton-logo.png

Suspicious Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:

USMB Lounge US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

For your protection, this web page has been blocked and submitted for review. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page, however if you know that this web page is safe, you may choose to visit this web page anyway.

Exit this site

• Thanks

This is what I'm getting...

symres:blocked-redx.png

symres:blocked-norton-logo.png

Suspicious Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:

USMB Lounge US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

For your protection, this web page has been blocked and submitted for review. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page, however if you know that this web page is safe, you may choose to visit this web page anyway.

Exit this site

Thanks for the info, jan. I used Norton for years and never had one problem. The reasons I don't want to go back to it, is the price and these days there may be options that are equal or superior to it. The only reason I have McAfee, is it came installed on this latest new PC. But I have had too many problems with it, to keep it another year. However, I don't want to select another that is going to cause me anxiety such as giving false warnings about some websites being malicious. I have read that isn't always the case with antivirus software, as they will often tell you that even if is isn't so. McAfee does this but I don't know if it is really true.

So hard to trust these days....:( Even the sites that recommend these Top Ten antiviruses could be bought and paid for. That is why I would rather go with posters who have had personal experiences.

On my Chromebooks, one doesn't need protection, as of this post, and I am running sites that McAfee warns me on my PC are malicious websites yet on my Chromebooks, so far, so good. :) Since cutting the cord on cable, I can watch cable programming on my Chromebooks. :) One of my Chromebooks has a 15 inch screen and that is pretty perfect for the limited time I watch anything.

• Thanks
Yes, so good to see them and hope they come back and revitalize at least one portion of what used to be, a board filled with vitality.

Ringel05, are you still recommending Avast as an anti-virus program? McAfee is close to renewal and I want to drop it. I also have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes and they caught two Trojans, recently. So I will be looking for an anti-virus program that will work well with MB. :) Any advice would be appreciated from my go-to techie guy. :)
I've used the free version of Avast for years with no problems. There is a paid version including some other products they offer that will "pop up" in the lower right corner of your screen for sale but you can turn that off in settings or at least set the popup time to one second.

Thanks so much, Ringel05. And to Foxy, also.

I have been scouring the web reading about various anti-virus software and am more confused than ever. I knew that Norton wasn't the hog it used to be, but didn't know McAfee isn't either. I am looking at this for Windows 7 unless you have warnings not to.
Microsoft Security Essentials

I want a software program that doesn't want me to buy something if they catch an intruder. And one that isn't free. I don't trust anything free when there is an option to pay for it. I just feel like you get what you pay for, even though I know that isn't always true, but when I am in a field I know nothing about, I go with the most bang for my buck, rather than free. Avast is highly recommended, depending upon one's needs, for example I have read that a person needs a different one if they are planning on gaming.

This confusion on anti-virus software systems and not knowing which site to trust on their recommendations, are just a few of the reasons I went to Chromebooks, in addition to my Win-7. They are based on the Linux OS and malware resistant, as of this post.

I sure love the people at Malewarebytes. They are so friendly and they exist! lol

Thanks again Ringel and Foxy. :)
Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 Review Rating PCMag.com

Man! Am I exasperated. After reading the article I am linking to in this post, I have decided to go with your and foxy's antivirus software. I hope, I don't blow it by getting rid of McAfee but there have been too many disconnects for me to trust them with another year's subscription. ( Remember that Chinese writing thing around my tabs, Ringel? That is just ONE of my issues with McAfee. Here is a 2013 ( August ) excerpt from the link that is so informative.

However, no one tool can catch everything. So, we suggest you install one security tool (preferably Avast, our favorite) that scans for as much as possible, and that has an on-access scanning engine that protects you from threats while you surf the web, install applications, and open files. Then, install another anti-malware tool (like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) that you can occasionally use on demand to make sure nothing got through or has been overlooked. With this combination, you'll protect yourself from as much as possible, and it won't cost you a thing.

The Difference Between Antivirus and Anti-Malware and Which to Use
Exactly the two I use and the reason I use them. :thup:

:smiliehug:

Good morning all. I slept in and slept in and slept in this morning and it felt wonderful. I guess I needed it.

Good to see that jan dropped back by again. Since neither Malwarebytes or Avast are picking up anything buggy 99% of the time at USMB, I'm confident the site itself is perfectly safe. Some of the ads that get through on some browsers I use though probably are buggy and that is what trips the alerts.

• Thanks
I must say, I am duly impressed with the patrons of the coffee shop. I think I may just visit more often.You guys are beautiful. I hope for you all to have a wonderful day. Thanks for making USMB a better place

Now for the task at hand.

expresso_latte_lg.jpg

I agree Pixie, don't make it in here often anymore, actually not on the site very much anymore these days. Does anyone know what happened to Meister? I noticed he hasn't been around since last August?

He left long ago, even before the USMB format change. I miss him and so many other interesting posters, however it sure is nice to have PixieStix drop in. I have thought of her often. If it weren't for the Coffee Shop....:eusa_think:
I miss Pix and Meister on SO many levels....

Oh that reminds me Ernie. I need to get back to the 'bug' thread to report that I checked on this computer and the rich text editor box was checked. But still no bbcode editor shows up on this computer unless I access USMB through AOL. And it is a pain when I'm not in AOL.

I'm at a loss to correct the problem. I've tried everything I can think of. No bbcode editor on Google Chrome, IE, Firefox, Duckduckgo. Only on AOL. Sigh.

And the problem only exists here at USMB--not on any of the other boards I visit occasionally.
I'm at a loss...

Yes me too. Why I get the editor when I use AOL but not with any other browser just has me totally stumped. And only on this computer which of course is my major work horse so I use it most during the day.

Yeah, everybody is really busy right now Ernie. But I'm up before sun up. Just couldn't sleep. So coffee is making, have already started the week's laundry chore, and I figure I'll crash by noon.

Yeah, everybody is really busy right now Ernie. But I'm up before sun up. Just couldn't sleep. So coffee is making, have already started the week's laundry chore, and I figure I'll crash by noon.
The coffee is making what?
:eusa_whistle:

Up to take the wife into work and then the electrician and plumber are supposed to be here today. The Prius is still in the shop, waiting on a part, should be done by tomorrow. The house is sloooowly starting to look like a home, going to have to put together another donation "pile".

Good Lord I'm happy it's Monday! The weekends no longer provide rest and relaxation. Now that the Spring has sprung, yard work has returned to the agenda. Today I feel as if I were on Antiques Roadshow, not as a proud owner of some chatckey, but an item itself. I would be described as 'Mid-Century classic' but condition issues have rendered me worthless. Back, knees, shoulders and hips are all screaming for relief. I cut down the last part of a picket fence between me and my next door neighbor. The fence part came down easier than I expected. But the 4x4 posts were tough to remove. The last post had me thinking that if I could pull it up from the ground, I might be the King of all England. The post was like a sword caught in a stone. A few smacks with an 8 pound sledge hammer, some extras effort and lots of profanity proved to be the winning combination.

Good Lord I'm happy it's Monday! The weekends no longer provide rest and relaxation. Now that the Spring has sprung, yard work has returned to the agenda. Today I feel as if I were on Antiques Roadshow, not as a proud owner of some chatckey, but an item itself. I would be described as 'Mid-Century classic' but condition issues have rendered me worthless. Back, knees, shoulders and hips are all screaming for relief. I cut down the last part of a picket fence between me and my next door neighbor. The fence part came down easier than I expected. But the 4x4 posts were tough to remove. The last post had me thinking that if I could pull it up from the ground, I might be the King of all England. The post was like a sword caught in a stone. A few smacks with an 8 pound sledge hammer, some extras effort and lots of profanity proved to be the winning combination.

A win is a win is a win. :) We are dreading the prospect of having to replace the fence between us and our neighbor to the west. Between high winds and his dobermans, it is in really bad shape. A bit far for you to commute though. :)

• Thanks

A win is a win is a win. :) We are dreading the prospect of having to replace the fence between us and our neighbor to the west. Between high winds and his dobermans, it is in really bad shape. A bit far for you to commute though. :)
Today I stopped believing the old saw 'good fences make good neighbors'. It's more accurate to say 'bad fences are a pain in the ass!'

Forum List

Back