USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hello everyone. I do believe I have been missed. I hope all is well and that I haven't missed anything? My thoughts are with those are are suffering, as they have always been.

As for me, I am battling through. I am still waiting to hear back from the counselors, it must be a long waiting list, or they have forgotten about me. I admit now that I am frightened of speaking about such things again as no one wants to remember being abused, but if it may help me, then I guess I have to try it.

Currently I am at home nursing a knee injury. I would be traveling to a special seminar tomorrow, run by a 5th Dan black belt, but am unable to go due to the injury. It sucks, but these things happen.

The best thing that has happened in the past few weeks? It happened today. Just as I was getting so frustrated, too. See, there is this guy who comes in a couple times a week with a group of kids. They attend the special school and are 'troubled'. They don't speak to me, and their carer often brings them in to the store for some ice cream or frozen drinks.
Anyway, I always serve them and on Monday he told me of a project he was wanting to do with the kids, to keep them occupied as they were becoming a bit of a handful. He showed me on his phone what he planned on doing - making 'eyes', kind of like this:

Plastic-Rolling-Eyeball.jpg

To do this, he needed some of our domed lids, which fit over the large cups for our frozen drinks. I gave him about ten on Monday, and yesterday he came in to say hello, and I asked how the project was going, and he said it was still ongoing, and could he please have some more lids. I would have given him a bigger handful but the manager on duty can be a right bitch, and such was her mood yesterday. She only allowed me to hand over another ten lids, which I did.
The guy asked if I was working today and I said I was, and told him what time I was working.
This morning, he came in with a couple of the kids, and they happily placed their plastic eyeballs in front of me. To be honest, they looked nothing like the photo above, or the video he showed me on his phone, but these kids had disabilities, remember. They had worked for three days on these plastic lids, and I thought they looked great. I congratulated the kids on a great job, and thanked them for coming in especially for me to show me their hard work, and the kids beamed from ear to ear - they were so proud!

It made my whole week, and lifted me a little out of the depression that has been plaguing me for weeks.

Oh Noomi, soooooo happy you stopped by to catch us up on what is going on with you. I was just about to add you to our MIA list. :) You have become such an important part of the Coffee Shop family, we miss you when you disappear for awhile.

Any luck with any of those jobs you applied for? Sounds like you are able to help some special people with the one you have. :)

Just in case you get lost in bureaucratic red tape or something, do keep inquiring about when you will see the counselor--squeaky wheel and all that.

Something else you might do in the meantime is see if there is a chapter of Adult Survivors of Child Abuse (ASCA) near you--it is an international organization that provides free self-help groups. And HAVOCA (just enter it into your browser) may also have some resources that would be helpful. Or there may be other such self-help groups in your area. Don't be shy about going--all such support groups won't push you to share any more than you are comfortable sharing and if you tell them you're just there to listen, you can do that too.

And again, yes, you were a missed person. :)

Thanks Foxy. I am checking out the HAVOCA page and decided to join their forums to talk with people who have suffered as I have. It may help in the meantime.

Thanks y'all for thinking of me, and your thoughts and prayers. Much appreciated. You are all such great friends. :)

Big news right now, though, heard last night - come Xmas time, I'm going to be an auntie! My sister is around 4 weeks pregnant, just waiting on bloods to confirm. She did about a dozen home pregnancy tests, all positive, so its almost certain that she'll be a mum by the end of the year. :)

Safe travels and a great time for Sherry and WQ.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

Divine_Light_by_Deinha1974.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Greetings one and all ....

First, an apology for my absence. I was just overcome by the pulchritude, political acumen, and just downright sexiness of the ladies here. I had to take a break, or I would have been consumed by the fire.

(Actually, that's not true ... but I thought it might increase my chances of getting lucky,)

Unfortunately, I was called away on a business trip - got to visit Paris, Bonn, Damascus, Copenhagen, and Brussels on a worldwind tour of conference rooms, bad food, and even worse hotels. It's nice to be home ...

I don't know about you folks but these libraries are, to me, heaven. I've been to most of these in my travels.

347612ee5a84d94bfe44bacda566d2e1_650x.jpg
fd00fdf4f6e8fe8841aa890653131d3a_650x.jpg
6a857ee01e94fb1ee0770e403152ff90_650x.jpg
5b15f0f3328d2cebca4ed0b675f7918f_650x.jpg
88c665899f32857cf5dbd026903eb9de_650x.jpg

If life after death is eternal I shall probably need a library like the above to store an eternal book collection.
At the moment my library is confined to one room of wall to wall books. I might try and take a picture of it.

Okay, so I have a working hypothesis on America's problems with math. Chinese people are really good at math for the most part. They have a harder language to learn and write, so I theorize if we learned Chinese, math would get easier. I mean, even babies can learn English here in America. It is too easy to read and write it.

Interesting concept except that I don't agree English is an easy language to learn because of the thousands of inconsistencies that there are no rules for and just have to be learned and remembered.

But I have also read that the structure of the Chinese language is such that it trains the brain so that math does come more naturally to those who speak fluent Chinese. At least it is a conforting thought to me that my Chinese friends just have an advantage in that way and maybe they really aren't so much more smarter than me as they appear to be. :)

Starting to learn Chinese, repeating Chop Suey over and over.
When answering the phone;
Wei.

Singular, in person;
Ni hao.

Plural;
Nimen hao.

Still having "fun" unpacking, had a major burst of energy yesterday, the living room is mostly set up, as I'm going through boxes some stuff is being set aside for donation. Went through my DVD collection and about 20 DVDs were culled out plus I found some PC games I've been looking for for the last couple of years. The library is coming along, waiting on Ikea to send pins for the adjustable shelving, can't find the ones we packed 3 years ago. Once I can get the shelves set up we can start going through all the books and cull out what we no longer want to keep. Also made a sleight dent in the garage but have a long way to go with that.
Have a lawn service rep coming by today, tenants are responsible for yard upkeep and eight tenths of the 1/4 acre lot is xeroscaped with weeds and grass growing everywhere they're not supposed to then I have to take the Prius in to have a "problem" light checked out so I had to drop the wife off at work this morning.
Good to see long lost posters drop in for a cup of coffee and say hi. :thup:

Yes, so good to see them and hope they come back and revitalize at least one portion of what used to be, a board filled with vitality.

Ringel05, are you still recommending Avast as an anti-virus program? McAfee is close to renewal and I want to drop it. I also have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes and they caught two Trojans, recently. So I will be looking for an anti-virus program that will work well with MB. :) Any advice would be appreciated from my go-to techie guy. :)
I've used the free version of Avast for years with no problems. There is a paid version including some other products they offer that will "pop up" in the lower right corner of your screen for sale but you can turn that off in settings or at least set the popup time to one second.

Thanks so much, Ringel05. And to Foxy, also.

I have been scouring the web reading about various anti-virus software and am more confused than ever. I knew that Norton wasn't the hog it used to be, but didn't know McAfee isn't either. I am looking at this for Windows 7 unless you have warnings not to.
Microsoft Security Essentials

I want a software program that doesn't want me to buy something if they catch an intruder. And one that isn't free. I don't trust anything free when there is an option to pay for it. I just feel like you get what you pay for, even though I know that isn't always true, but when I am in a field I know nothing about, I go with the most bang for my buck, rather than free. Avast is highly recommended, depending upon one's needs, for example I have read that a person needs a different one if they are planning on gaming.

This confusion on anti-virus software systems and not knowing which site to trust on their recommendations, are just a few of the reasons I went to Chromebooks, in addition to my Win-7. They are based on the Linux OS and malware resistant, as of this post.

I sure love the people at Malewarebytes. They are so friendly and they exist! lol

Thanks again Ringel and Foxy. :)

Still having "fun" unpacking, had a major burst of energy yesterday, the living room is mostly set up, as I'm going through boxes some stuff is being set aside for donation. Went through my DVD collection and about 20 DVDs were culled out plus I found some PC games I've been looking for for the last couple of years. The library is coming along, waiting on Ikea to send pins for the adjustable shelving, can't find the ones we packed 3 years ago. Once I can get the shelves set up we can start going through all the books and cull out what we no longer want to keep. Also made a sleight dent in the garage but have a long way to go with that.
Have a lawn service rep coming by today, tenants are responsible for yard upkeep and eight tenths of the 1/4 acre lot is xeroscaped with weeds and grass growing everywhere they're not supposed to then I have to take the Prius in to have a "problem" light checked out so I had to drop the wife off at work this morning.

Yes, so good to see them and hope they come back and revitalize at least one portion of what used to be, a board filled with vitality.

Ringel05, are you still recommending Avast as an anti-virus program? McAfee is close to renewal and I want to drop it. I also have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes and they caught two Trojans, recently. So I will be looking for an anti-virus program that will work well with MB. :) Any advice would be appreciated from my go-to techie guy. :)
I've used the free version of Avast for years with no problems. There is a paid version including some other products they offer that will "pop up" in the lower right corner of your screen for sale but you can turn that off in settings or at least set the popup time to one second.

I have been scouring the web reading about various anti-virus software and am more confused than ever. I knew that Norton wasn't the hog it used to be, but didn't know McAfee isn't either. I am looking at this for Windows 7 unless you have warnings not to.

I want a software program that doesn't want me to buy something if they catch an intruder. And one that isn't free. I don't trust anything free when there is an option to pay for it. I just feel like you get what you pay for, even though I know that isn't always true, but when I am in a field I know nothing about, I go with the most bang for my buck, rather than free. Avast is highly recommended, depending upon one's needs, for example I have read that a person needs a different one if they are planning on gaming.

This confusion on anti-virus software systems and not knowing which site to trust on their recommendations, are just a few of the reasons I went to Chromebooks, in addition to my Win-7. They are based on the Linux OS and malware resistant, as of this post.

I sure love the people at Malewarebytes. They are so friendly and they exist! lol

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 Review Rating PCMag.com

I don't know about you folks but these libraries are, to me, heaven. I've been to most of these in my travels.

Just beautiful. But how do you get to the books on the top shelves or even see what they are? I am about average height for a woman and have no problem reaching the top shelf in our local libraries. But these look a lot higher?

I have Avast on all our computers that range from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and this one is Windows 8.1. And we all do a LOT of gaming. :) The only problem I have with Avast is that it constantly reminds me that it is blocking a particular nasty malware every time I play Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. Very annoying, but I HAVE to play it because some of my favorite people play it with me, and I don't want the malware. I just wish Avast would do it quietly. :)

But Avast has not interfered in any way or slowed me down in the many games I play.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

Man! Am I exasperated. After reading the article I am linking to in this post, I have decided to go with your and foxy's antivirus software. I hope, I don't blow it by getting rid of McAfee but there have been too many disconnects for me to trust them with another year's subscription. ( Remember that Chinese writing thing around my tabs, Ringel? That is just ONE of my issues with McAfee. Here is a 2013 ( August ) excerpt from the link that is so informative.

However, no one tool can catch everything. So, we suggest you install one security tool (preferably Avast, our favorite) that scans for as much as possible, and that has an on-access scanning engine that protects you from threats while you surf the web, install applications, and open files. Then, install another anti-malware tool (like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) that you can occasionally use on demand to make sure nothing got through or has been overlooked. With this combination, you'll protect yourself from as much as possible, and it won't cost you a thing.

The Difference Between Antivirus and Anti-Malware and Which to Use

I just started using Microsoft security essential and twice now it has closed this site with the warning that a link hosted by USMB could harm my computer. Here is the link. I posted this in the feedback forum.

9cgcy5.boost.troonunderwriting.com

Just beautiful. But how do you get to the books on the top shelves or even see what they are? I am about average height for a woman and have no problem reaching the top shelf in our local libraries. But these look a lot higher?

I use these special levitation boots called "ladders":biggrin:

I just started using Microsoft security essential and twice now it has closed this site with the warning that a link hosted by USMB could harm my computer. Here is the link. I posted this in the feedback forum.

9cgcy5.boost.troonunderwriting.com

Avast warns me about USMB too from time to time but does not shut me down. It just advises me that it has blocked the unwanted 'intruder' and that is almost certainly associated with some advertising that lurks on the fringes. And it has a sandbox feature that runs something it is suspicious about but is not sufficiently alarming to block and quarantine in its entirety.

Man! Am I exasperated. After reading the article I am linking to in this post, I have decided to go with your and foxy's antivirus software. I hope, I don't blow it by getting rid of McAfee but there have been too many disconnects for me to trust them with another year's subscription. ( Remember that Chinese writing thing around my tabs, Ringel? That is just ONE of my issues with McAfee. Here is a 2013 ( August ) excerpt from the link that is so informative.

However, no one tool can catch everything. So, we suggest you install one security tool (preferably Avast, our favorite) that scans for as much as possible, and that has an on-access scanning engine that protects you from threats while you surf the web, install applications, and open files. Then, install another anti-malware tool (like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) that you can occasionally use on demand to make sure nothing got through or has been overlooked. With this combination, you'll protect yourself from as much as possible, and it won't cost you a thing.

Well as sure as I endorse something to a friend, it goes to hell in a hand basket. :) But I had McAfee before I switched to Avast. I have not had a moments regret uninstalling McAfee on any of our computers.

• Thanks

I have Avast on all our computers that range from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and this one is Windows 8.1. And we all do a LOT of gaming. :) The only problem I have with Avast is that it constantly reminds me that it is blocking a particular nasty malware every time I play Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. Very annoying, but I HAVE to play it because some of my favorite people play it with me, and I don't want the malware. I just wish Avast would do it quietly. :)

But Avast has not interfered in any way or slowed me down in the many games I play.
Settings, you can turn off those notifications.

• Thanks

Settings, you can turn off those notifications.

I know, but that one game is the only place it is annoying. And most of the time I appreciate the notices.

Exactly the two I use and the reason I use them. :thup:

• Thanks
Greetings one and all ....

First, an apology for my absence. I was just overcome by the pulchritude, political acumen, and just downright sexiness of the ladies here. I had to take a break, or I would have been consumed by the fire.

(Actually, that's not true ... but I thought it might increase my chances of getting lucky,)

Unfortunately, I was called away on a business trip - got to visit Paris, Bonn, Damascus, Copenhagen, and Brussels on a worldwind tour of conference rooms, bad food, and even worse hotels. It's nice to be home ...

But did you visit any good libraries? (Just teasing) Welcome home SC. Sounds like a really great way to be busy. :)

Forum List

Back