USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, switched out the Samsung box with a Cisco box (cable), we'll see how it goes for now, just booting up now. Also while i was out I finally made it to a Verizon store, dropped my monthly bill by $50, they were very helpful and wanted to keep me as a customer.
Looking to buy a larger HDTV so I'll probably buy the Roku and digital antenna at the same time and give it a try, if it works I'll get rid of cable TV (plus the phone) and only have internet.

I have been struggling with the whole concept of giving up the land line. I like the security of a land line when the cell phone service is down and the security of the cell phone when the land line is out. But that is so rare an occurrence that I know we could save a bundle if we gave up the land line. But it is emotionally tough to do. I'm not sure Hombre would ever agree to it because he wanted an old fashioned phone with an old fashioned receiver for Christmas last year--he hates the modern cellphone like phones and he hates cell phones.
The only reason my wife wanted a landline in the past was to send and receive faxes, now that it can be done online for free, or a small nominal fee, she doesn't care anymore. I finally plugged our phone in a week ago and have not received a call since.

Okay, switched out the Samsung box with a Cisco box (cable), we'll see how it goes for now, just booting up now. Also while i was out I finally made it to a Verizon store, dropped my monthly bill by $50, they were very helpful and wanted to keep me as a customer.
Looking to buy a larger HDTV so I'll probably buy the Roku and digital antenna at the same time and give it a try, if it works I'll get rid of cable TV (plus the phone) and only have internet.

I have been struggling with the whole concept of giving up the land line. I like the security of a land line when the cell phone service is down and the security of the cell phone when the land line is out. But that is so rare an occurrence that I know we could save a bundle if we gave up the land line. But it is emotionally tough to do. I'm not sure Hombre would ever agree to it because he wanted an old fashioned phone with an old fashioned receiver for Christmas last year--he hates the modern cellphone like phones and he hates cell phones.
The only reason my wife wanted a landline in the past was to send and receive faxes, now that it can be done online for free, or a small nominal fee, she doesn't care anymore. I finally plugged our phone in a week ago and have not received a call since.

Our situation is different though. We have our cell phones with a special deal with Verizon that we each pay $20/month for our phones and that gives us 50 minutes a month during peak hours with unlimited minutes after 5 pm and on weekends. We want the phones when we travel, when we need to call each other or somebody else when we are out and about, or for security reasons--flat tire, car breaks down, other accident, etc. So we rarely ever have more than 10 minutes or so on our cell phones--a bit more when we travel.

We get many calls on our land line though. I am not a phone person and don't enjoy visiting on the phone much. Hombre loves it though and spends a lot of time on it.

If we ever give up those special tailor-made accounts for us with Verizon, we'll never get another deal like that with them.

Our situation is different though. We have our cell phones with a special deal with Verizon that we each pay $20/month for our phones and that gives us 50 minutes a month during peak hours with unlimited minutes after 5 pm and on weekends. We want the phones when we travel, when we need to call each other or somebody else when we are out and about, or for security reasons--flat tire, car breaks down, other accident, etc. So we rarely ever have more than 10 minutes or so on our cell phones--a bit more when we travel.

We get many calls on our land line though. I am not a phone person and don't enjoy visiting on the phone much. Hombre loves it though and spends a lot of time on it.

If we ever give up those special tailor-made accounts for us with Verizon, we'll never get another deal like that with them.
Well the landline will be with us for quite a while longer, it's just fewer and fewer people use them every year, each successive generation makes use of technology in their own way and that's what drives modern business. Eventually anyone making home phones and selling home phone services better look to diversify or they'll fade away, like cable will continue to have customers for a while to come but the writing is on the wall for anyone to see who's looking. We will be seeing some major changes in a lot of businesses in the next couple of decades mostly due to how the younger generations make use of the internet. I have to do some research into some up and coming companies to potentially invest in.

Well the landline will be with us for quite a while longer, it's just fewer and fewer people use them every year, each successive generation makes use of technology in their own way and that's what drives modern business. Eventually anyone making home phones and selling home phone services better look to diversify or they'll fade away, like cable will continue to have customers for a while to come but the writing is on the wall for anyone to see who's looking. We will be seeing some major changes in a lot of businesses in the next couple of decades mostly due to how the younger generations make use of the internet. I have to do some research into some up and coming companies to potentially invest in.

Yeah. Like when I chickened out buying Microsoft at $21/share. :)

Yeah. Like when I chickened out buying Microsoft at $21/share. :)
Exactly. Doing the research right now.

After doing some research I found out the stocks that were being pushed (3 years ago by Motley Fool) are still strong profitable premium investments, Disney, Scripps Network and Discovery Communications. Not some "flying under the radar" up and coming newcomers. Uummmmm........

image.jpg
Here is a photo of myself and my brother taken on his wedding day, April 25th. Had a great time in NC, even if I had to wear a tie to the wedding. Just to clear up any confusion, BBD is the handsome fellow on the left. As wedding go, his was nice and well-attended. Sure did enjoy the opportunity to get some real food and the chance to see friends and relatives I haven't seen lately.

View attachment 40897Here is a photo of myself and my brother taken on his wedding day, April 25th. Had a great time in NC, even if I had to wear a tie to the wedding. Just to clear up any confusion, BBD is the handsome fellow on the left. As wedding go, his was nice and well-attended. Sure did enjoy the opportunity to get some real food and the chance to see friends and relatives I haven't seen lately.

BBD, you really are a handsome devil.

View attachment 40897Here is a photo of myself and my brother taken on his wedding day, April 25th. Had a great time in NC, even if I had to wear a tie to the wedding. Just to clear up any confusion, BBD is the handsome fellow on the left. As wedding go, his was nice and well-attended. Sure did enjoy the opportunity to get some real food and the chance to see friends and relatives I haven't seen lately.

I will wear somewhat formal clothes to a wedding, but I don't do ties. :lol:

Gee and I thought I looked bad...... Uummmmm wait a minute, don't think I was supposed to say that........

:D

Ordered a Roku 2 (basically just as fast as the Roku 3 but cheaper) and a highly rated indoor digital antenna, think I'll get myself a TV for my birthday........ :D

Ordered a Roku 2 (basically just as fast as the Roku 3 but cheaper) and a highly rated indoor digital antenna, think I'll get myself a TV for my birthday........ :D

We got a Roku 3 for the USB port. The 2 doesn't have one. :(
Checked the reviews and decided on the 2 even though it uses AV cables instead of the HDMI cable, everyone who professionally reviewed it says it's just as fast as the 3. Got mine for $50 on Amazon.
Am thinking about a 39" HDTV (Vizio), Sears (yeah, I know, I know.....) has one for $189 with free shipping. Have to see if their online shipping is just as slow as their home delivery service before I order it.......
Why a 39"? It's the biggest that will fit in our Oriental TV cabinet though I could leave the 26" that's in there now and wall mount a 50" in the living room....... Decisions, decisions......

Sooooo good to see you. Have been missing you. A lot. :) And I agree with Sherry.

Forum List

Back