USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh, while I'm thinking about it:

cinco-de-mayo-14.gif

Passing through saying hello, No changes here, just living day to day. Supposed to see Palliative Care next week.....

Have a good one.........

Hey Ollie. Good to see you. That would be palliative care for Mrs. O? You know you both (and Colonel) are in our thoughts and prayers.

Yes for Mrs O.
Colonel is still hanging in there. We figure he's about 101 now and still runs 50 ft to his favorite telephone pole when I let him out of the yard....
Mrs O is starting to understand he condition. She had a great Birthday with her one son and Daughter visiting...

Yes for Mrs O.
Colonel is still hanging in there. We figure he's about 101 now and still runs 50 ft to his favorite telephone pole when I let him out of the yard....
Mrs O is starting to understand he condition. She had a great Birthday with her one son and Daughter visiting...

I know she has had some issues with at least temporary dementia and other scary stuff, so I know that is difficult. But who knows how much time any of us have on the Earth? She is a lucky woman to have so much love to sustain her and I hope whatever time the two of you have left will be quality time.

Passing through saying hello, No changes here, just living day to day. Supposed to see Palliative Care next week.....

Have a good one.........
Thanks for dropping by Ollie, out thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Remember if you need us we're here for you my friend. God Bless!

Okay, I'm seriously thinking about doing a Montrovant, maybe a Roku, definitely Hulu Plus, (maybe) Netflix or Amazon Prime and a Winegard FlatWave Amped HDTV Antenna for local TV. Three times in the last three weeks and twice today I've had to reboot my Samsung box from Time Warner........ Actually the second time today it rebooted itself.......
The challenge will be figuring out if they have the shows the wife likes and how to access them so the transition is mostly seamless for her.

Okay, I'm seriously thinking about doing a Montrovant, maybe a Roku, definitely Hulu Plus, (maybe) Netflix or Amazon Prime and a Winegard FlatWave Amped HDTV Antenna for local TV. Three times in the last three weeks and twice today I've had to reboot my Samsung box from Time Warner........ Actually the second time today it rebooted itself.......
The challenge will be figuring out if they have the shows the wife likes and how to access them so the transition is mostly seamless for her.

We're not concerned with getting shows when they air, how long would your wife be willing to wait to see them? I know Hulu Plus does some shows nearly live, but I don't know how many.

We haven't even signed up for a service yet. There's some free content available and we've been watching what we have recorded for now. The little one likes the Angry Birds game that came with the Roku. :lol:

We're not concerned with getting shows when they air, how long would your wife be willing to wait to see them? I know Hulu Plus does some shows nearly live, but I don't know how many.

We haven't even signed up for a service yet. There's some free content available and we've been watching what we have recorded for now. The little one likes the Angry Birds game that came with the Roku. :lol:
She mostly watches the real crime (not the sitcom) shows and the country music video channels (a must) plus a few other things from time to time (Animal Planet and similar shows) and of course her daily "soap opera" (the news). That will be accessible via the HD antenna. I watch mostly history, science and military channels as well as the occasional movie. I also like shows such as How it's Made.
One thing I do know is Cable is a dying industry and will soon go the way of record players and home landlines. Keep your eye on Google Fiber, Google is buying up all the "black wire" (fiber optic wire already laid by now defunct companies) for pennies on the dollar. They've already opened in two cities and that's just the beginning. The Millenials and younger aren't willing to buy a product for an inflated price that offers multiple units that they will never watch especially when they can watch it "on demand" on the internet, often for free, it's the new trend.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

High_Tide_Grand_Haven_Lighthouse_Michigan.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Good morning everybody. A beautiful day in Albuquerque--looks like less chance for rain but a sunny day will be nice after the rains we have had.

Heavy, 65 mph winds on site today.

Anyway, besides the weather, I killed two birds with one stone today. On my biggest site in West Sussex, where I have four years' worth of work, I was present to personally oversee the delivery of a very heavy excavator we've hired to begin demolition of condemned town houses that we need cleared to so another firm can begin groundworks, after which we'll move-in to begin building. On this site I have four of what we call 'improvers', who are trainee bricklayers who are either still at a vocational college or have recently completed their two years training but have no site experience. They're paid little and expected to work hard on my instruction, mainly because they need to develop muscular strength if they want to progress. And these boys are quite young compared to the experienced trowels (they're all sixteen, and they look it).

Now, I have a business to run and I want to instill a certain element of fear in these youngsters, but anyone who's reading that has experience of teaching young, bright-eyed boys a trade will confirm how much of a rewarding experience it is, and I have to admit it was hard maintaining the gruf and quick-tempered veneer necessary to instill respect. It also gives these boys a confidence boost to be working alongside the contractor, because it shows them and others that the upper echelon of the company they're working for takes an interest in the progress and development of those at the very bottom of the ladder. Anyway, suitably attired (i.e. - looking like a scruffy tramp) with my toolbox hooked on my level over my shoulder, I lead my little band of merry men out onto the site. We went up onto the gables where the wind was howling and concrete blocks needed cutting. I'm well-built, and in spite of spending these days in my yard sat in my office, I can still cut a concrete block with two strikes of a club hammer and bolster. These lads, however, are still relatively weak and I spent the half hour crouched before them while they did more damage to themselves than the blocks they were meant to be cutting. I spent the next hour barking at them, clicking my fingers an inch from their noses and pointing to where they should be looking before they began to grasp the technique needed to cut blocks. After they'd cut and chiseled them to something reasonably adequate, I showed them how to set-up the string lines needed to maintain straight courses of blocks and bricks. They performed this task remarkably well and I began showing them how to bed the first course of that storey's blockwork. By the end of the day we'd got more done than I'd anticipated, and I told them I'd see them again in a month or so before telling them to clean-up the mess we'd made. Then I left.

Overall, not a bad day.

Okay, switched out the Samsung box with a Cisco box (cable), we'll see how it goes for now, just booting up now. Also while i was out I finally made it to a Verizon store, dropped my monthly bill by $50, they were very helpful and wanted to keep me as a customer.
Looking to buy a larger HDTV so I'll probably buy the Roku and digital antenna at the same time and give it a try, if it works I'll get rid of cable TV (plus the phone) and only have internet.

Okay, switched out the Samsung box with a Cisco box (cable), we'll see how it goes for now, just booting up now. Also while i was out I finally made it to a Verizon store, dropped my monthly bill by $50, they were very helpful and wanted to keep me as a customer.
Looking to buy a larger HDTV so I'll probably buy the Roku and digital antenna at the same time and give it a try, if it works I'll get rid of cable TV (plus the phone) and only have internet.

I have been struggling with the whole concept of giving up the land line. I like the security of a land line when the cell phone service is down and the security of the cell phone when the land line is out. But that is so rare an occurrence that I know we could save a bundle if we gave up the land line. But it is emotionally tough to do. I'm not sure Hombre would ever agree to it because he wanted an old fashioned phone with an old fashioned receiver for Christmas last year--he hates the modern cellphone like phones and he hates cell phones.

Heavy, 65 mph winds on site today.

Anyway, besides the weather, I killed two birds with one stone today. On my biggest site in West Sussex, where I have four years' worth of work, I was present to personally oversee the delivery of a very heavy excavator we've hired to begin demolition of condemned town houses that we need cleared to so another firm can begin groundworks, after which we'll move-in to begin building. On this site I have four of what we call 'improvers', who are trainee bricklayers who are either still at a vocational college or have recently completed their two years training but have no site experience. They're paid little and expected to work hard on my instruction, mainly because they need to develop muscular strength if they want to progress. And these boys are quite young compared to the experienced trowels (they're all sixteen, and they look it).

Now, I have a business to run and I want to instill a certain element of fear in these youngsters, but anyone who's reading that has experience of teaching young, bright-eyed boys a trade will confirm how much of a rewarding experience it is, and I have to admit it was hard maintaining the gruf and quick-tempered veneer necessary to instill respect. It also gives these boys a confidence boost to be working alongside the contractor, because it shows them and others that the upper echelon of the company they're working for takes an interest in the progress and development of those at the very bottom of the ladder. Anyway, suitably attired (i.e. - looking like a scruffy tramp) with my toolbox hooked on my level over my shoulder, I lead my little band of merry men out onto the site. We went up onto the gables where the wind was howling and concrete blocks needed cutting. I'm well-built, and in spite of spending these days in my yard sat in my office, I can still cut a concrete block with two strikes of a club hammer and bolster. These lads, however, are still relatively weak and I spent the half hour crouched before them while they did more damage to themselves than the blocks they were meant to be cutting. I spent the next hour barking at them, clicking my fingers an inch from their noses and pointing to where they should be looking before they began to grasp the technique needed to cut blocks. After they'd cut and chiseled them to something reasonably adequate, I showed them how to set-up the string lines needed to maintain straight courses of blocks and bricks. They performed this task remarkably well and I began showing them how to bed the first course of that storey's blockwork. By the end of the day we'd got more done than I'd anticipated, and I told them I'd see them again in a month or so before telling them to clean-up the mess we'd made. Then I left.

Overall, not a bad day.

I can relate. I am actually one who loves training people to master new skills. I love to teach. And I have been blessed with a lot of jobs in which I got to do both.

Forum List

Back