USMB Coffee Shop IV

Had a 5' cotton mouth in the garage. I got him with a machete. Then I had to spend an hour sharpening it after a few hacks into the cement floor.

SHHHH! The wife doesn't know about that one. She'd freak out!

We have had only one rattler in our backyard since we have lived here.
Hubby killed it with one shot to it's head with his pistol.

We have had more tarantulas walking into the house when you open the door. It also does not happen all that often though.
No big deal. I just pick it up gently and put it back outside. They are not aggressive spiders unless they feel threated.

I'm glad no one took video of me in the garage that day. I was in full combat mode with just a touch of panic. Chasing a snake in a cluttered garage is dangerous enough when you can see it. It's downright scary when you can't.

We have cotton mouths here, but except for the garage, none have gotten in the house.

Except for the occasional rattler that might wander in an open door, I think the only poisonous snakes you have to worry about getting into buildings are the copperheads. And they can be terrible.
Unless things have changed there are no Copperheads this far west unless you consider some areas of Texas.

True, copperheads thrive in wetter, more humid climates. They are just about everywhere in central and east Texas though.

We have had more tarantulas walking into the house when you open the door. It also does not happen all that often though.
No big deal. I just pick it up gently and put it back outside. They are not aggressive spiders unless they feel threated.
Pretty much most snakes in the US are not "aggressive" with the exception being the Copperhead, they can be downright nasty. Luckily I've only had a couple of run ins with Copperheads and the last one was one that was anything but aggressive, it had been hiding in a pile of mulch when the landscapers were spreading it in the townhouse complex. It had been skewed with a pitchfork and had curled itself up under a bush behind our house. Lucky it was injured cause the wife discovered it when she picked up a piece of trash right next to it.
The story is funny cause she came in and asked me to identify the snake, went out and sure enough it was a Copperhead, she claimed I was wrong because of my paranoia and the fact it didn't bite her. Called animal control, when they showed up she told them she thought it was my paranoia and that it was not a Copperhead....... Animal control walked around to the back and exclaimed, "that's a Copperhead........." :lol:
Didn't see the injury until they picked it up.

I remove tarantulas and other large spiders with a dustpan to scoop them up and a jar to hold them in place until I can get them outside. I concur with your evaluation of tarantulas, but I am still not brave enough to pick one up. :)

Ordered a Roku 2 (basically just as fast as the Roku 3 but cheaper) and a highly rated indoor digital antenna, think I'll get myself a TV for my birthday........ :D

We got a Roku 3 for the USB port. The 2 doesn't have one. :(
Checked the reviews and decided on the 2 even though it uses AV cables instead of the HDMI cable, everyone who professionally reviewed it says it's just as fast as the 3. Got mine for $50 on Amazon.
Am thinking about a 39" HDTV (Vizio), Sears (yeah, I know, I know.....) has one for $189 with free shipping. Have to see if their online shipping is just as slow as their home delivery service before I order it.......
Why a 39"? It's the biggest that will fit in our Oriental TV cabinet though I could leave the 26" that's in there now and wall mount a 50" in the living room....... Decisions, decisions......

I wanted to have the ability to play files from an external source, hence the USB.

I had been considering getting myself a new TV for my birthday, but now that I don't know if getting a broadcast signal is viable here, I may just save my money.

You could hook up your TV through your computer and then get Netflix and or hulu plus or any of the other channels you might watch right from their own websites.
How to Hook Up a Computer to TV 11 Steps with Pictures

We're probably going to end up getting Netflix for the Roku. The problem is getting the broadcasts of NFL games (and the occasional NHL game). At this point my thinking is I'll get NFL Rewind, which will let me watch the games either late night Sunday or Monday. It will make fantasy football a bit difficult, but options are limited.

I lived in Florida in 69, just looked at it on Google maps, where I lived is still there but lots of growth all around it. If the map is any indicator it looks like it might have become an upper middle class + bedroom community for Jacksonville as opposed to the backwards hick town it once was.

Colorado Springs - this is hail earlier today and they are expecting snow tonight:

11205127_10153058010728381_5545467838730843068_n.jpg

The ceiling fan in the master bedroom has adjustable lights on it and being old they come loose and start hitting the light bulbs, "tink, tink, tink, tink.........."
Switched it out with the small one in the maids room but it's too small for the master sooooooo I've been hunting for the blades that go to the fan we had up in our master in Virginia....... I know I saw them in Trinidad as they were packed with some stuff we unpacked, I know I repacked them......... This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!
I did find my wifes brief case that's been missing since we left Virginia, the brief case with her Passport in it.......... It was in a different fan box with all of her umbrellas and the adjustable shelving pins we've been looking for forever. Now we can start dealing with the books and free up tons of space!!

I recommend having a shotgun in snake country, because you cannot miss. Whereas you have to be a good shot to hit it with a pistol.

I had a pet European grass snake when I was a boy but it was very aggressive and lunged at me every time I passed the tank I kept it in. Then I had to feed it, and it only ate baby frogs. I used to go to the common and catch baby frogs for it until I found out that they scream when they are being eaten feet first. I listened to a few frogs screaming then decided to let the snake go on the common to catch its own frogs. I introduced an unnatural species to the environment, I just hope it was not a pregnant female.

I recommend having a shotgun in snake country, because you cannot miss. Whereas you have to be a good shot to hit it with a pistol.

I had a pet European grass snake when I was a boy but it was very aggressive and lunged at me every time I passed the tank I kept it in. Then I had to feed it, and it only ate baby frogs. I used to go to the common and catch baby frogs for it until I found out that they scream when they are being eaten feet first. I listened to a few frogs screaming then decided to let the snake go on the common to catch its own frogs. I introduced an unnatural species to the environment, I just hope it was not a pregnant female.

I couldn't keep a critter I had to feed something that was alive. So I can appreciate that.

We have all types of guns and pistols including shotguns.
My husband is an excellent shot and that is why he used it and why he was able to hit it in the head.

Good morning. Shaping up to be a gorgeous day here, but the violent weather further east remains a concern--we have lots of folks in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas. . . .

Forum List

Back