USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today's coffee funnies :D :

monday-coffee.jpg

stargate_universe_earth_symbol_large_mug.jpg

that remeinds me of the jetsons

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Good morning Coffee Shoppers! The last full weekend of spring was a glorious one here. Father's Day and beautiful weather and a lot of chores accomplished all add up to a grand weekend indeed.

All except Friday night. For years now, my brother and a couple of our friends have gathered to play board games. It's just four or five middle aged guys getting together for a few laughs and some intellectual stimulation. We usually meet at my brother's place. It's called Man Land. His house was once a duplex and the basement level has been remodeled with a kitchen, bathroom and living area with a table large enough to accommodate old farts and a board game. But last Friday, Man Land was unavailable. We had to play at an alternative site.

My friend who owns the majority of the games we play lives next door to a lovely ranch house owned by an elderly lady who is now in a retirement community. He watches the house and said we could play there.

Now, here's what I want to ask you about. During the evening, he had his 13 year old son join us for game night. My friend has had some major health issues and probably fears he won't be around long for his kids. He has indulged his two sons. The older of the two came into the house and cussed like a drunken trucker. Every time he spoke his language got coarser. At one point, I found myself being called an asshole by a grade schooler.

My friend encouraged his son to behave this way while the rest of us were mortified. Just two weeks ago, I turned a valve at the Big House to see if there was a leak in the garage. Water poured from above a cabinet and I incredulously said "What the f*ck?". Then I heard mom on the porch above the garage and I felt embarrassed over my utterance. And I'm 57 years old! None of us were raised that way and another of the old guys there has two sons also, but those kids are great! Charming, funny and respectful, I have written references for both of them as they sought part time work.

But this 13 year old is a monster in the making. Should I have said something about his behavior? Should I have stayed quiet for my friend's sake, not criticizing his parenting approach? Is it my place to further indulge his child or should I request the simple respect an elder should have?

Next week, ask your friend (beforehand) if his son will be at the next one and if he is will your friend be correcting his son's language this time.
Tell him everyone had a problem with it and didn't appreciate it. He'll probably get mad and defensive but that's to be expected, if he doesn't I'd be surprised. If he doesn't get over it in a week or two then he needs to see a shrink. :thup:

Good advice.

Computers acting up, I don't want to mess with it tonight...So no pics

Good night.........
For a week I have had many issues with the USMB site. I think a lot of people are experiencing problems. I have no problems with any other site.

I'm so sorry for anyone having problems with the site and wonder why I am having none. I feel for all of you and know how frustrating it has to be. I am using FF, Adbock Plus and all is well ( as of this post )

In spite of it all, I do hope everyone has a good Monday morning, weather-wise and otherwise...:thup: Here, it looks like showers, and in the 50's.

Good morning. Coffee sure is good today!

It's a real eye-opener, that is for sure...:lol: I remember all it took to open my eyes, before work, was a shower. Then I met a man who would become my hubby and who drank coffee every morning. Why I joined him, in the morning coffee drinking, I'll never know. :dunno:

Good morning everybody. Reading over last night's and this morning's posts I am amazed again at how people so truly different (eclectic?) as we all are have become this thing we call the Coffee Shop. And how easily those who want to be a part of it can be part of it just by showing up and joining in.

Was pondering Nosmo's problem with the 13-yr-old. It's always dicey disciplining somebody else's kids, most especially when the parent or parents are there and APPROVE of the behavior. But I don't think we should just automatically accept having our own peace and enjoyment upset by the bad behavior either. So if it is a serious problem, perhaps a private discussion with the father would be in order. This kid is headed for major problems if he is not better socialized I think. I bet Nosmo has just the diplomatic skills to handle it at least as well as something like that can be handled.

So today I am planning to accomplish something useful. I am sure what that will be will come to me in a bit. :)

Good morning everybody. Reading over last night's and this morning's posts I am amazed again at how people so truly different (eclectic?) as we all are have become this thing we call the Coffee Shop. And how easily those who want to be a part of it can be part of it just by showing up and joining in.

Was pondering Nosmo's problem with the 13-yr-old. It's always dicey disciplining somebody else's kids, most especially when the parent or parents are there and APPROVE of the behavior. But I don't think we should just automatically accept having our own peace and enjoyment upset by the bad behavior either. So if it is a serious problem, perhaps a private discussion with the father would be in order. This kid is headed for major problems if he is not better socialized I think. I bet Nosmo has just the diplomatic skills to handle it at least as well as something like that can be handled.

So today I am planning to accomplish something useful. I am sure what that will be will come to me in a bit. :)

In the meantime, drink coffee!!!

Good morning Coffee Shoppers! The last full weekend of spring was a glorious one here. Father's Day and beautiful weather and a lot of chores accomplished all add up to a grand weekend indeed.

All except Friday night. For years now, my brother and a couple of our friends have gathered to play board games. It's just four or five middle aged guys getting together for a few laughs and some intellectual stimulation. We usually meet at my brother's place. It's called Man Land. His house was once a duplex and the basement level has been remodeled with a kitchen, bathroom and living area with a table large enough to accommodate old farts and a board game. But last Friday, Man Land was unavailable. We had to play at an alternative site.

My friend who owns the majority of the games we play lives next door to a lovely ranch house owned by an elderly lady who is now in a retirement community. He watches the house and said we could play there.

Now, here's what I want to ask you about. During the evening, he had his 13 year old son join us for game night. My friend has had some major health issues and probably fears he won't be around long for his kids. He has indulged his two sons. The older of the two came into the house and cussed like a drunken trucker. Every time he spoke his language got coarser. At one point, I found myself being called an asshole by a grade schooler.

My friend encouraged his son to behave this way while the rest of us were mortified. Just two weeks ago, I turned a valve at the Big House to see if there was a leak in the garage. Water poured from above a cabinet and I incredulously said "What the f*ck?". Then I heard mom on the porch above the garage and I felt embarrassed over my utterance. And I'm 57 years old! None of us were raised that way and another of the old guys there has two sons also, but those kids are great! Charming, funny and respectful, I have written references for both of them as they sought part time work.

But this 13 year old is a monster in the making. Should I have said something about his behavior? Should I have stayed quiet for my friend's sake, not criticizing his parenting approach? Is it my place to further indulge his child or should I request the simple respect an elder should have?

Since it was a group of men the boy was invited to join, I think it would be perfectly appropriate for you to let the kid know -in front of the group, that there is no value in speaking like that. I assume no one else at the table was using profanity like a schmuck.

I know sometimes embarrassing kids is a very good lesson. Embarrassing his dad wouldn't hurt either, he is clearly missing some important training issues. He can use all the help he can get...we all can

For a week I have had many issues with the USMB site. I think a lot of people are experiencing problems. I have no problems with any other site.

It was about that long ago that images within posts disappeared (not avatars, just posted images). It turned out that AdBlock had started blocking them but I never found out why. I resolved it by turning AdBlock off -- it hasn't erupted in unwanted pop-ups (yet), so I'll have to cross that bridge when and if it does -- but it was about the same time. Wonder if it's related.

In Adblock did you set your filterset to custom and select "block images"?
1 Open the list of Blockable Items, either by left-clicking the toolbar icon and choosing the option by that name, or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+V.
2 In the lower pane that opens, next to the column headers (Address, Filter, etc.) click the small rightmost icon and make sure "Filter source" is selected in that menu.
3 Blocked and hidden items in the list will appear in red text. Pay particular attention to anything blocked by your custom filters. When you've found an unwanted custom filter, right-click it and choose Edit Filter in Effect. In the window that opens, right-click it again and choose Delete.

I don't seem to have an option to set to "custom", but I have been blocking some images. That seemed to have worked just fine at the time. I don't have a "filter source" either. What I see is attached as a screencap -- I do get a list of blocked elements, and I know how to delete them -- it's just that the images that are being blocked that should't be blocked are not showing up on this list. The list looks exactly as it should. So why it's blocking things not on the list is what I haven't figured out.

{EDIT: As another experiment I've just cleared out all of the blocked images so there's are no blocked elements at all -- I can recreate those as I go. I turned AdBlock back on, and so far, this page at least, the images are working.
Fingers_Crossed_emoticon.gif
}

{EDIT 2: Well now I seem to have the opposite problem: AdBlock engaged with clean filter list, I right-clicked an element to block, it disappears, but then the next time the page comes up or is refreshed, the image comes right back. First it blocks too many, now it doesn't block enough. :banghead: }

Attachments

• $abblock screen.jpg
    $abblock screen.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
It was about that long ago that images within posts disappeared (not avatars, just posted images). It turned out that AdBlock had started blocking them but I never found out why. I resolved it by turning AdBlock off -- it hasn't erupted in unwanted pop-ups (yet), so I'll have to cross that bridge when and if it does -- but it was about the same time. Wonder if it's related.

1 Open the list of Blockable Items, either by left-clicking the toolbar icon and choosing the option by that name, or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+V.
2 In the lower pane that opens, next to the column headers (Address, Filter, etc.) click the small rightmost icon and make sure "Filter source" is selected in that menu.
3 Blocked and hidden items in the list will appear in red text. Pay particular attention to anything blocked by your custom filters. When you've found an unwanted custom filter, right-click it and choose Edit Filter in Effect. In the window that opens, right-click it again and choose Delete.

I don't seem to have an option to set to "custom", but I have been blocking some images. That seemed to have worked just fine at the time. I don't have a "filter source" either. What I see is attached as a screencap -- I do get a list of blocked elements, and I know how to delete them -- it's just that the images that are being blocked that should't be blocked are not showing up on this list. The list looks exactly as it should. So why it's blocking things not on the list is what I haven't figured out.

{EDIT: As another experiment I've just cleared out all of the blocked images so there's are no blocked elements at all -- I can recreate those as I go. I turned AdBlock back on, and so far, this page at least, the images are working.
}

{EDIT 2: Well now I seem to have the opposite problem: AdBlock engaged with clean filter list, I right-clicked an element to block, it disappears, but then the next time the page comes up or is refreshed, the image comes right back. First it blocks too many, now it doesn't block enough. :banghead: }
What does your Filter List say? EasyList?
Also what other addons are you running? Could be a conflict in one of them with ABP.

}

Also what other addons are you running? Could be a conflict in one of them with ABP.

Filter list sez:
EasyList, Malware Domains, Fanboy's Social Blocking List and Easy Privacy, all of which are checked by default. The only default item not checked is "Adblock Warning Removal List". I've never made any changes to it.

Not running any other add-on. I see "Do Not Track Me Online Privacy Protection" but that came with the AdBlock.

I looked into the block list for the one image I did select to block, to see if it's somehow disappearing from the list, but it's there as it should be. It just doesn't function.
I'm gonna go ahead and reboot again.

{EDIT: restarting the browser may have worked -- the image I had blocked is now blocking as directed, at least at first glance. Will have to do more observations...}

Last edited:

}

Filter list sez:
EasyList, Malware Domains, Fanboy's Social Blocking List and Easy Privacy, all of which are checked by default. The only default item not checked is "Adblock Warning Removal List". I've never made any changes to it.

Not running any other add-on. I see "Do Not Track Me Online Privacy Protection" but that came with the AdBlock.

I looked into the block list for the one image I did select to block, to see if it's somehow disappearing from the list, but it's there as it should be. It just doesn't function.

Uncheck Fanboy's Social Blocking List ( then restart your browser)and see if that fixes the problem. The only one I have is EasyList.

Just want everyone to know that the Spurs are the NBA Champions.....Hip Hip Hooray!

Spurs rout Heat to win fifth NBA championship and dethrone LeBron James

SAN ANTONIO – By the end of Sunday night, LeBron James could only sit and watch as the Miami Heat's reign as back-to-back champions came to end. This year, there would be no collapse from the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs again dismantled the Heat, overwhelming them in a 104-87 victory in Game 5 of the NBA Finals to secure the franchise's fifth – and maybe least likely – championship.

From Tim Duncan to Manu Ginobili to Tony Parker, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich subbed out his stars one by one so they could each get their own applause.
Y! SPORTS

Add one more:

spurstrophies4_dssa-300x249.jpg

Rootin' for the home team? I don't pay much attention to sports, but our Aces won the Kelly Cup (again). Whoot! Whoot!
Go Spurs! Go Aces!

Tough call, Nosmo. Maybe if you took your buddy aside and broached the subject without a lot of "witnesses"?
We've been playing a lot of board games with my granddaughters and while things get a little verbally rough-and-tumble, the girls know their limits as to what is permitted and what not.

Filter list sez:

Uncheck Fanboy's Social Blocking List ( then restart your browser)and see if that fixes the problem. The only one I have is EasyList.

Is the theory that this Fanboy list may have changed recently and, once updated, that's why I was losing the images, because the new Fanboy list blocked too much?

I just hate solving a problem without knowing how it was solved... :eusa_think:

Filter list sez:

Is the theory that this Fanboy list may have changed recently and, once updated, that's why I was losing the images, because the new Fanboy list blocked too much?

I just hate solving a problem without knowing how it was solved... :eusa_think:
It's a hunch based on what Fanboy blocks that may be the issue here. Also Malware Domains had some updating issues they were working on which could have created other problems. Fixing by process of elimination........ :D
You could uncheck all but EasyList then recheck each one to see which one is creating the problem.
Once we figure out which one is at fault then we can determine the reason.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back