USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'd keep it but I'm pinching pennies right now, $30 will buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk........ :eusa_whistle:

You must be in good with the clerk in Nome Alaska.
Not that far off for Nome, really.
I not only read labels nowadays, I also compare every product on the shelf and use coupons as far as my limited time allows me to. Be cautious with coupons, though, while they may discount that product, they may not actually be the least expensive product available.

I usually don't mind generic products and they are most often cheaper than name brand stuff even with coupons.
True. And I haven't found any significant difference in quality. Generics just don't advertise like name brands do.

There are a few things I need the name brand. I have not found a generic or alternate source to Cheez Its, nor Goldfish. I've tried, but the things I tried fell far short. I almost never drink soda any more, but when I did, I went with the name brands. The store brands weren't terrible, but again, a noticeable drop in quality.

I eat generic cereal, canned and frozen veggies, I'll get the cheap frozen meals and frozen meat patties. I prefer Kroger pastries to actual Pop Tarts. Store brand gelatin is the same as Jello. I get whatever tea is cheapest. Of course, while I am an extremely picky eater, when it comes to those foods I do like, I tend to not be that picky. There are just so many foods I won't eat. :p

I'm sore today. Yesterday I worked along my driveway getting out the remainder of the little stumps that the grinder missed, and pulling the what seems like millions of roots, so my back is feeling it today. I got about 50' of it done and have about 15' left, but I think I'll find something easier to do today and my back and muscles a day of rest.

A hot bath might help you. :)
Would you believe I don't have a bathtub? Only a large shower, but I do have a shower massage head, and that does feel good.

I'm going to take the Harley out for one last little ride today in the back hills and scout out where there's an auction this weekend, then come back and maybe split some wood. A lot easier than what I was doing yesterday.
Same here, no tub but a nice shower. Bathing in a tub just seems like you're stewing in your own filth. When I had a hot tub, you had to shower off before climbing into the stew pot. I preferred no clothing, too. Usually brought in residual detergent and dirt, as well. That rule was sometimes bent for more modest guests, but they had to shower with their duds on if they were coming into the tub. I plan to build a sauna out here. They're as therapeutic and pleasant as hot tubs, but lots cleaner and don't tend to become the household science project.

A hot bath is therapeutic to sore muscles. You can shower before or after your bath if you must. Did you not give your children baths? Also, in the old days, that's pretty much all we had . . . baths. Sometimes your whole family would share ONE bath. The youngest one usually having to bath in everyone else's bath water. Considering, taking a hot bath to sooth your sore muscles isn't so disgusting. Lol. I love taking hot baths personally. Soaking in my own filth is awesome! :lol:

Personally, I think people make much too big a deal out of a few germs. That's why so many people have allergies nowadays probably. They try to limit their exposure to germs or other things and never develop an immunity. Heck, if I like a food enough, and it falls on the floor, I'll eat it anyway. Lol! Maybe I'm just disgusting, I don't know. :eusa_dance:

God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt dammit!

I'd keep it but I'm pinching pennies right now, $30 will buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk........ :eusa_whistle:

I not only read labels nowadays, I also compare every product on the shelf and use coupons as far as my limited time allows me to. Be cautious with coupons, though, while they may discount that product, they may not actually be the least expensive product available.

I usually don't mind generic products and they are most often cheaper than name brand stuff even with coupons.
True. And I haven't found any significant difference in quality. Generics just don't advertise like name brands do.

There are a few things I need the name brand. I have not found a generic or alternate source to Cheez Its, nor Goldfish. I've tried, but the things I tried fell far short. I almost never drink soda any more, but when I did, I went with the name brands. The store brands weren't terrible, but again, a noticeable drop in quality.

I eat generic cereal, canned and frozen veggies, I'll get the cheap frozen meals and frozen meat patties. I prefer Kroger pastries to actual Pop Tarts. Store brand gelatin is the same as Jello. I get whatever tea is cheapest. Of course, while I am an extremely picky eater, when it comes to those foods I do like, I tend to not be that picky. There are just so many foods I won't eat. :p
When you consider how bad for you Cheezits and Goldfish are, you might consider taking a pass. I was potato chip fan, not any more; no French fries, either. I haven't consumed soda pop in years. I do like the flavored carbonated water, like Dasani. I guess you'd consider me a picky eater nowadays.

Personally, I think people make much too big a deal out of a few germs. That's why so many people have allergies nowadays probably. They try to limit their exposure to germs or other things and never develop an immunity. Heck, if I like a food enough, and it falls on the floor, I'll eat it anyway. Lol! Maybe I'm just disgusting, I don't know. :eusa_dance:

When I think about how we played when we were kids, probably a good thing that dirt isn't generally toxic or harmful.

When you consider how bad for you Cheezits and Goldfish are, you might consider taking a pass. I was potato chip fan, not any more; no French fries, either. I haven't consumed soda pop in years. I do like the flavored carbonated water, like Dasani. I guess you'd consider me a picky eater nowadays.

It's fine as long as you don't eat it too much I think. Like you, I don't normally consume soda, but I do occasionally like when out to dinner or sometimes just because I feel like having a glass of soda. Just don't eat and drink that stuff every day or a lot of it, and it's fine I think. :)

When I think about how we played when we were kids, probably a good thing that dirt isn't generally toxic or harmful.

My son ate cat poop once when he was a baby. He was fine. Lol. I was like, "please let that be a piece of chocolate that you found." But nope, it was poop! I called Poison Control because I was kind of worried, and they said he would most likely be fine but just watch him. Gross though. I wonder what he was thinking . . . this is pretty good poop, or ewww, this poop is disgusting. Lol. :lol:

Hey, you dog owners, your dogs lick their arse and genitals and then come over and lick your face, and you're all like "oh, mmmm, kissy, kissy." Lol. :D
I train my dogs not to lick and not to jump up on people.

I hate the surprise lick. When you bend down to say hello and pet a dog and he jumps up and gets a lick right in right in your face! Eww! I hate when dogs lick my face. Disgusting IMO. :D

OK, calling all dog people, I need some help! My mini-doxie is always following me all over the house. Hence, every time I turn around or try to move somewhere, she's right underfoot. If I try to step over her, she dodges away and I usually have to move quickly to avoid stepping on her, or kicking her. What could cause this behavior and are there any recommendations to make her stop it? She's driving me nuts and it's only a matter of time until one of us gets hurt.

My rabbit does that to me, but he only does that when he wants me to feed him. I stepped on him one time and felt terrible.

I saw something on TV about prices in the far North recently.

I've heard it's super expensive to live in Alaska. Anything that you buy that they have to have trucked in costs a small fortune.

I've definitely noticed some differences between some generic products and the real thing. Some are very good and use the same ingredients and some are really just cheap imitations. I bought some cheap boxed mac and cheese, just for when I need something quick to make and eat, and it was NOT good at all. It tasted terrible.

OK, calling all dog people, I need some help! My mini-doxie is always following me all over the house. Hence, every time I turn around or try to move somewhere, she's right underfoot. If I try to step over her, she dodges away and I usually have to move quickly to avoid stepping on her, or kicking her. What could cause this behavior and are there any recommendations to make her stop it? She's driving me nuts and it's only a matter of time until one of us gets hurt.

My rabbit does that to me, but he only does that when he wants me to feed him. I stepped on him one time and felt terrible.
She's plenty well fed, overweight even. She sneaks canned cat food when it's served to her kitty roomies. And she's good at sneaking, too! If I turn my back for even a second. At her age (almost 15 yrs), some weight gain is expected because she's less active, my vet told me that. She also sounds like a good candidate for CPAP she's so noisy when she sleeps. I wonder whether it has something to do with separation anxiety? After her Bullmastiff buddy died, I had to drop her off at a friend's place when I went to work. She eventually adjusted to having the cats as buddies (they even wash her face and ears). I try to take her with me when I can, but she cannot stay in the cold truck for very long.

She's plenty well fed, overweight even. She sneaks canned cat food when it's served to her kitty roomies. And she's good at sneaking, too! If I turn my back for even a second. At her age (almost 15 yrs), some weight gain is expected because she's less active, my vet told me that. She also sounds like a good candidate for CPAP she's so noisy when she sleeps. I wonder whether it has something to do with separation anxiety? After her Bullmastiff buddy died, I had to drop her off at a friend's place when I went to work. She eventually adjusted to having the cats as buddies (they even wash her face and ears). I try to take her with me when I can, but she cannot stay in the cold truck for very long.

It could be. It could be a bunch of different things. It's hard to tell since they can't tell us what's bothering them. :(

I saw something on TV about prices in the far North recently.

I've heard it's super expensive to live in Alaska. Anything that you buy that they have to have trucked in costs a small fortune.
And if they don't truck it in, or put it on a barge, they fly it in. There are loads of online companies that will not ship to Alaska, or they charge you and arm and a leg. What's really a bitch is, we pump the oil out of the ground here and still pay some of the highest fuel prices nationwide!

I've definitely noticed some differences between some generic products and the real thing. Some are very good and use the same ingredients and some are really just cheap imitations. I bought some cheap boxed mac and cheese, just for when I need something quick to make and eat, and it was NOT good at all. It tasted terrible.
I make my own cheese sauce for macaroni, or I did. I'm not eating pasta anymore. I do still make a kickass tuna/mac-n-cheese casserole for guests if they request it. My meatloaf is by far more often requested, though.

Tuna is one of those things I'm really picky about and will only buy name brand. I mean, it's fish in a can, so you should be careful. Lol.
Yeah, I'm picky about tuna, too. I prefer solid white albacore but will buy a brand that has not added sugar. You'd be shocked what things have sugar or high-fructose corn syrup added. The reason I only buy frozen or fresh shrimp is because canned shrimp has sugar in it.

Forum List

Back