USMB Coffee Shop IV

This one is for GW who I think said last year he couldn't have a Christmas tree because it was too tempting for his cats?

1524739_10151845354739013_259774304_n.jpg
Anti cat Christmas tree cage I wonder if you can get those on amazon?

I don't know but there doesn't seem to be a much that you can't get on Amazon. :)

I have brought a lot of stuff from Amazon, mostly books, but I bought an uninterruptable power supply recently, and the other day I downloaded an old computer game from them too.

The only thing I don't like is they keep your credit card details in their data base. I am concerned they might get hacked.

Well in truth, anybody you do business with on line with your credit card could keep your credit card details in their data base and not tell you. At least since Amazon is up front with it, they will advise us if they have been hacked so that we can take measures to change our credit card or whatever. I expect the chances of Amazon being hacked are the same as the credit card company or your bank being hacked.
Agreed. The big online retail markets will have security that is just as good or better than credit card companies. I'm not sure about Amazon but a lot of sites will let you choose whether or not to store your card info.

I wouldn't worry too much about places like Amazon Djjal. I don't know if you play many games, but have you tried getting them from Steam?

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

Hi CremeBrulee. So happy you found us. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary welcome beverage and here is yours:

coffee3.jpg

And 42 is a four-handed (two partners play against another set of partners) domino bidding game very popular in west Texas at least. The four of us who play grew up with the game.

2 x 4 soup is two pounds of hamburger browned, drained, and seasoned to taste, 2 cans of minestrome soup, 2 cans of pinto beans, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chile - combine all--nothing is drained but the hamburger--and heat to piping hot. It sounds weird but even if you dont' care for any of the ingredients by themselves, the combination is terrific. I have yet to find anybody who doesn't like that soup.

I don't know but there doesn't seem to be a much that you can't get on Amazon. :)

I have brought a lot of stuff from Amazon, mostly books, but I bought an uninterruptable power supply recently, and the other day I downloaded an old computer game from them too.

The only thing I don't like is they keep your credit card details in their data base. I am concerned they might get hacked.

Well in truth, anybody you do business with on line with your credit card could keep your credit card details in their data base and not tell you. At least since Amazon is up front with it, they will advise us if they have been hacked so that we can take measures to change our credit card or whatever. I expect the chances of Amazon being hacked are the same as the credit card company or your bank being hacked.
Agreed. The big online retail markets will have security that is just as good or better than credit card companies. I'm not sure about Amazon but a lot of sites will let you choose whether or not to store your card info.

I wouldn't worry too much about places like Amazon Djjal. I don't know if you play many games, but have you tried getting them from Steam?

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

Hi CremeBrulee. So happy you found us. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary welcome beverage and here is yours:

coffee3.jpg

And 42 is a four-handed (two partners play against another set of partners) domino bidding game very popular in west Texas at least. The four of us who play grew up with the game.

2 x 4 soup is two pounds of hamburger browned, drained, and seasoned to taste, 2 cans of minestrome soup, 2 cans of pinto beans, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chile - combine all--nothing is drained but the hamburger--and heat to piping hot. It sounds weird but even if you dont' care for any of the ingredients by themselves, the combination is terrific. I have yet to find anybody who doesn't like that soup.
Ya found one....... I hate, positively hate Minestrone soup.......

People down here are definitely weird...... It was in the upper 50s, low 60s and people are walking around in light winter coats........ I was out in shorts, t-shirt and a fall (medium weight) shirt, of course people were looking at me like I was nuts.

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

coffee3.jpg

Sounds like fun. Yeah I posted in here about a week or so ago. The tornado stuff. Remember? It was late and you weren't around so ChrisL gave me a cup. I would give this one back but I drank it already. A coffee connoisseur. :)

Right now I am enjoying Kona peaberries strained through a French press. Delicious. I bought an espresso/cappuccino maker last week, but still can't give up on my press.

Ahh another coffee snob. I actually use a Keurig wit a reusable basket for single cups. It doesn't get the steep like the French press, but it uses about 10 PSI for a pretty decent extraction. I grind a lot finer too. The burr grinder is usually set to dose out enough for one cup but I can twist it up to enough for the 24 oz French press in total darkness. The daily bean is World Market's Costa Rican Terrazu, but there is always a pound or 2 of Blue Mountain in the house pls some La Lave for my Cuban coffee that I make in one of 5 sizes of pressure percolators. I have them in 2, 4, 8, 16 and 24 oz pots.

We serve Cuban coffee at Doc's. I don't think there's any other place in South Alabama you can get it.

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

coffee3.jpg

Sounds like fun. Yeah I posted in here about a week or so ago. The tornado stuff. Remember? It was late and you weren't around so ChrisL gave me a cup. I would give this one back but I drank it already. A coffee connoisseur. :)

Right now I am enjoying Kona peaberries strained through a French press. Delicious. I bought an espresso/cappuccino maker last week, but still can't give up on my press.

You're right. I thought the name was familiar but when I checked I had failed to put it on our Coffee Shop roster so erred on the side of caution. So welcome back!!!

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

coffee3.jpg

The only thing I'd like of the ingredients is the hamburger. I'm pretty sure I'd hate the soup. :)

And Hi Foxy, haven't been around in a while, so thought I'd stop in and see what was happening, and of course, it was shut down. What does that tell me? :lol:

Someone turned it off.

Greg

LOL, well yes in a way they did. In the three Coffee Shop threads that preceded this one, we had too many posts for the board to handle so they shut us down and asked us to reopen. I think they've fixed that problem now as we have been up and running for quite awhile now with no problems.

No worries. I'm on a thread here quite regularly with over 200000 posts...can't understand why a smaller thread would need "fixing"....and thanks for the coffee. I'm on a health kick at the moment...no carbs etc etc....but I MUST HAVE MY COFFEE.............and chocolate cake.Ssshhhhh

Greg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

thumb2-forest-winter-cabin-night-snow.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

People down here are definitely weird...... It was in the upper 50s, low 60s and people are walking around in light winter coats........ I was out in shorts, t-shirt and a fall (medium weight) shirt, of course people were looking at me like I was nuts.

That is a sure sign that you came from the north from cooler winters.
Our winter snowbirds does the same thing.
Your have not been there long enough yet for your blood to become thinner. :)

Well I have heard of road rage, but now I have experienced supermarket rage. I just got back from my weekly shop and the supermarket was packed with people. They were getting in each others way and muttering. I asked one old guy to move his trolley so I could get by and he was angry. All the time there was a Christmas song playing and the words got stuck in my head. "its the most wonderful time of the year". It was surreal, and its not even Christmas yet.

And Hi Foxy, haven't been around in a while, so thought I'd stop in and see what was happening, and of course, it was shut down. What does that tell me? :lol:

Someone turned it off.

Greg

LOL, well yes in a way they did. In the three Coffee Shop threads that preceded this one, we had too many posts for the board to handle so they shut us down and asked us to reopen. I think they've fixed that problem now as we have been up and running for quite awhile now with no problems.

No worries. I'm on a thread here quite regularly with over 200000 posts...can't understand why a smaller thread would need "fixing"....and thanks for the coffee. I'm on a health kick at the moment...no carbs etc etc....but I MUST HAVE MY COFFEE.............and chocolate cake.Ssshhhhh

Greg

This was before they changed software. There might not be any problem with long threads now but they were having a lot of problem with the heavy volume on the V-Bulletin software they were using before. I am reconciled to the Xenforo software at USMB now but we lost a lot of people in the switchover because they hated it more than they loved hanging out with us here. I still miss them a lot. :(

But it is good to make new friends too and I always hope our 'newbies' will check in often enough that it becomes comfortable for them. It sometimes takes a bit of effort to join the family because we get so many newbies who for whatever reason don't get into the habit of coming back. But those who make the effort get adopted as family and become true Coffee Shoppers. :)

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

coffee3.jpg

The only thing I'd like of the ingredients is the hamburger. I'm pretty sure I'd hate the soup. :)

I bet you wouldn't. The ingredients work so well together that you don't really taste any of them as they are alone, but repurposed they become a whole new thing, and I haven't found anybody, even among the pickiest or finickyest (is that a word?) of eaters, who doesn't like that soup.

The platform was an excuse for other issues Foxfyre.

I'm sure that was true for some. I'm not really blaming anybody and try not to take it personally when folks leave us--unless of course when it IS personal which has been the case and then oh well. I wish it could be different but I am who I am and everybody isn't going to love me. Or us. :) I think those who come to the Coffee Shop find some value in it even if they can't enjoy the rest of the board because of all the nonsense out there and difficulty in finding an intelligent discussion out there--I just can't find time to participate in the sniping and insults and assigned talking points and general incivility for instance. And if the Coffee Shop isn't working for somebody either, then there's really no point. I am not what makes the Coffee Shop what it is but the effort put into it by those who enjoy it. And it often does require setting aside our differences with folks 'out there' and accepting them on a different level here.

I really do love you guys though as much as it is possible to love and care about people you have never met and know only here. So I'll keep dropping in as long as anybody wants to. And again, when nobody wants to, then I'll close the Coffee Shop and move on and be grateful for a very long and worthwhile run. We are five and a half years strong though. That's pretty good I think. :)

Well I have heard of road rage, but now I have experienced supermarket rage. I just got back from my weekly shop and the supermarket was packed with people. They were getting in each others way and muttering. I asked one old guy to move his trolley so I could get by and he was angry. All the time there was a Christmas song playing and the words got stuck in my head. "its the most wonderful time of the year". It was surreal, and its not even Christmas yet.

That would be surreal especially with that song as a backdrop. :) And yes, it is too bad when people expect everybody else to accommodate them exclusively and have no consideration for others on the road, in the stores, etc. A choice to just go with the flow and be happy goes a long way to cut down on stress and a lot of incivility in the world.

On Wednesday, somebody at Kirtland AFB here in Albuquerque was playfully stepping on and popping bubble wrap. Somebody heard it, mistook it for gunshots, and called 911. The base and three nearby elementary schools went on immediate lockdown until the 'shooter' confessed. :)

Forum List

Back