USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ahh another coffee snob. I actually use a Keurig wit a reusable basket for single cups. It doesn't get the steep like the French press, but it uses about 10 PSI for a pretty decent extraction. I grind a lot finer too. The burr grinder is usually set to dose out enough for one cup but I can twist it up to enough for the 24 oz French press in total darkness. The daily bean is World Market's Costa Rican Terrazu, but there is always a pound or 2 of Blue Mountain in the house pls some La Lave for my Cuban coffee that I make in one of 5 sizes of pressure percolators. I have them in 2, 4, 8, 16 and 24 oz pots.

We serve Cuban coffee at Doc's. I don't think there's any other place in South Alabama you can get it.

And I just LOVE our coffee snobs. :) Sometimes Hombre and I can't resist indulging in a really good blend ourselves and we do have a good coffee grinder. But alas, we usually just brew whatever was recently on sale at the grocery store.

The Coffee Shop isn't going anywhere, unless USMB closes.

I hope not because I would miss you guys terribly if we lost contact entirely. I still hope those who have left us for whatever reason will have a change of heart and come back. Well most of them. :)

Ahh another coffee snob. I actually use a Keurig wit a reusable basket for single cups. It doesn't get the steep like the French press, but it uses about 10 PSI for a pretty decent extraction. I grind a lot finer too. The burr grinder is usually set to dose out enough for one cup but I can twist it up to enough for the 24 oz French press in total darkness. The daily bean is World Market's Costa Rican Terrazu, but there is always a pound or 2 of Blue Mountain in the house pls some La Lave for my Cuban coffee that I make in one of 5 sizes of pressure percolators. I have them in 2, 4, 8, 16 and 24 oz pots.

We serve Cuban coffee at Doc's. I don't think there's any other place in South Alabama you can get it.

And I just LOVE our coffee snobs. :) Sometimes Hombre and I can't resist indulging in a really good blend ourselves and we do have a good coffee grinder. But alas, we usually just brew whatever was recently on sale at the grocery store.
There used to be "K-cups" and Maxwell House around, but since my relationship situation changed, I no longer keep any around. I'm down to about 5 pounds of coffee in house right now, but I usually have 3 times that much.

There used to be "K-cups" and Maxwell House around, but since my relationship situation changed, I no longer keep any around. I'm down to about 5 pounds of coffee in house right now, but I usually have 3 times that much.

True. Our lifestyle is to keep things as simple and uncomplicated as possible, and also on our retirement income we try to keep things as affordable as is reasonable and still enjoy life to the fullest. So yesterday Fed-ex delivered a Keurig machine to our doorstep. The box it was delivered in was very obvious as to the contents and I was thinking 'oh no, one of the kids sent us a Keurig and I don't want it'. Then I saw that it had one of the neighbor's addresses on it and drew a sigh of relief. About that time the Fed-ex truck came backing up to reposition itself at our house and the driver jumped out with the package that WAS for us and picked up the other. He explained he realized the error when his alarm started beeping. Amazing huh? Those packages are coded so if the driver misses delivering and deactivating something, an alarm goes off?

I have brought a lot of stuff from Amazon, mostly books, but I bought an uninterruptable power supply recently, and the other day I downloaded an old computer game from them too.

The only thing I don't like is they keep your credit card details in their data base. I am concerned they might get hacked.

Well in truth, anybody you do business with on line with your credit card could keep your credit card details in their data base and not tell you. At least since Amazon is up front with it, they will advise us if they have been hacked so that we can take measures to change our credit card or whatever. I expect the chances of Amazon being hacked are the same as the credit card company or your bank being hacked.
Agreed. The big online retail markets will have security that is just as good or better than credit card companies. I'm not sure about Amazon but a lot of sites will let you choose whether or not to store your card info.

I wouldn't worry too much about places like Amazon Djjal. I don't know if you play many games, but have you tried getting them from Steam?

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

Hi CremeBrulee. So happy you found us. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary welcome beverage and here is yours:

coffee3.jpg

And 42 is a four-handed (two partners play against another set of partners) domino bidding game very popular in west Texas at least. The four of us who play grew up with the game.

2 x 4 soup is two pounds of hamburger browned, drained, and seasoned to taste, 2 cans of minestrome soup, 2 cans of pinto beans, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chile - combine all--nothing is drained but the hamburger--and heat to piping hot. It sounds weird but even if you dont' care for any of the ingredients by themselves, the combination is terrific. I have yet to find anybody who doesn't like that soup.

The only thing I'd like of the ingredients is the hamburger. I'm pretty sure I'd hate the soup. :)

I bet you wouldn't. The ingredients work so well together that you don't really taste any of them as they are alone, but repurposed they become a whole new thing, and I haven't found anybody, even among the pickiest or finickyest (is that a word?) of eaters, who doesn't like that soup.

I think you underestimate how picky I am. :) I have never met anyone who is as picky an eater as I am. I don't eat seafood, I don't eat nuts, I eat almost no cheese, I eat almost nothing with tomato, I avoid almost all sauces and gravies and dressing. The only beans I eat are green beans. I don't eat chili. There is not a single thing on the menu at, say, Olive Garden that I will eat as is. We went to some Mexican restaurant the other day and I just laughed at the idea I might order something. I have never encountered a type of ethnic food I like; I hate Italian food despite Italian being my most prominent ancestry.

I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast almost every morning. For dinner I prefer meat with almost nothing put on it with basic sides, plain veggies or with butter, mashed potatoes with nothing but salt, like that. When I snack it's usually some form of crackers; I love eating crackers, but only certain kinds. If I could get away with it, health wise, I'd live on nothing but cereal, Cheez Its and Goldfish. :lol:

A soup made with a soup I don't like, combined with beans I don't like, combined with tomatoes with chili I don't like.....I don't see how I could like it. :p

EDIT : I do like a few Chinese food dishes. However, I have always been under the impression that the Americanized Chinese food we eat is not really related to what the actual Chinese eat and shouldn't really count as ethnic food. :lol:

Last edited:
And Hi Foxy, haven't been around in a while, so thought I'd stop in and see what was happening, and of course, it was shut down. What does that tell me? :lol:

Someone turned it off.

Greg

LOL, well yes in a way they did. In the three Coffee Shop threads that preceded this one, we had too many posts for the board to handle so they shut us down and asked us to reopen. I think they've fixed that problem now as we have been up and running for quite awhile now with no problems.

No worries. I'm on a thread here quite regularly with over 200000 posts...can't understand why a smaller thread would need "fixing"....and thanks for the coffee. I'm on a health kick at the moment...no carbs etc etc....but I MUST HAVE MY COFFEE.............and chocolate cake.Ssshhhhh

Greg

This was before they changed software. There might not be any problem with long threads now but they were having a lot of problem with the heavy volume on the V-Bulletin software they were using before. I am reconciled to the Xenforo software at USMB now but we lost a lot of people in the switchover because they hated it more than they loved hanging out with us here. I still miss them a lot. :(

But it is good to make new friends too and I always hope our 'newbies' will check in often enough that it becomes comfortable for them. It sometimes takes a bit of effort to join the family because we get so many newbies who for whatever reason don't get into the habit of coming back. But those who make the effort get adopted as family and become true Coffee Shoppers. :)

Xenforo? V-Bulletin?? It's 5am, my coffee is doing its job and I love it when people talk dirty in the morning!!! I'm glad they fixed it up though...we're going for the million eventually. That's a lot of coffee away...but what to do now? The sun is up, it's a beautiful day before me and the cycle paths are calling......or do I abuse some nasty little small minded plebs with my cutting wit and repartee?? To the fatbike, Robin!!!
(
Fat_Bike_Albert_GreyGhost_02_display.jpg

(Like this but different)

Greg

Well in truth, anybody you do business with on line with your credit card could keep your credit card details in their data base and not tell you. At least since Amazon is up front with it, they will advise us if they have been hacked so that we can take measures to change our credit card or whatever. I expect the chances of Amazon being hacked are the same as the credit card company or your bank being hacked.
Agreed. The big online retail markets will have security that is just as good or better than credit card companies. I'm not sure about Amazon but a lot of sites will let you choose whether or not to store your card info.

I wouldn't worry too much about places like Amazon Djjal. I don't know if you play many games, but have you tried getting them from Steam?

What is 42 and 2x4 soup?

Hi CremeBrulee. So happy you found us. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary welcome beverage and here is yours:

coffee3.jpg

And 42 is a four-handed (two partners play against another set of partners) domino bidding game very popular in west Texas at least. The four of us who play grew up with the game.

2 x 4 soup is two pounds of hamburger browned, drained, and seasoned to taste, 2 cans of minestrome soup, 2 cans of pinto beans, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chile - combine all--nothing is drained but the hamburger--and heat to piping hot. It sounds weird but even if you dont' care for any of the ingredients by themselves, the combination is terrific. I have yet to find anybody who doesn't like that soup.

The only thing I'd like of the ingredients is the hamburger. I'm pretty sure I'd hate the soup. :)

I bet you wouldn't. The ingredients work so well together that you don't really taste any of them as they are alone, but repurposed they become a whole new thing, and I haven't found anybody, even among the pickiest or finickyest (is that a word?) of eaters, who doesn't like that soup.

I think you underestimate how picky I am. :) I have never met anyone who is as picky an eater as I am. I don't eat seafood, I don't eat nuts, I eat almost no cheese, I eat almost nothing with tomato, I avoid almost all sauces and gravies and dressing. The only beans I eat are green beans. I don't eat chili. There is not a single thing on the menu at, say, Olive Garden that I will eat as is. We went to some Mexican restaurant the other day and I just laughed at the idea I might order something. I have never encountered a type of ethnic food I like; I hate Italian food despite Italian being my most prominent ancestry.

I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast almost every morning. For dinner I prefer meat with almost nothing put on it with basic sides, plain veggies or with butter, mashed potatoes with nothing but salt, like that. When I snack it's usually some form of crackers; I love eating crackers, but only certain kinds. If I could get away with it, health wise, I'd live on nothing but cereal, Cheez Its and Goldfish. :lol:

A soup made with a soup I don't like, combined with beans I don't like, combined with tomatoes with chili I don't like.....I don't see how I could like it. :p

EDIT : I do like a few Chinese food dishes. However, I have always been under the impression that the Americanized Chinese food we eat is not really related to what the actual Chinese eat and shouldn't really count as ethnic food. :lol:

Okay, okay, I surrender. You would hate the soup. :) (Until you tasted it. . . .ducks & runs. . . .)

Just finished dinner, leftovers. Drove up to T or C and Elephant Butt (oops, forgot the E......) mostly just for the drive. And I thought the people in West Virginia looked scary....... :eusa_whistle:

:D

Just finished dinner, leftovers. Drove up to T or C and Elephant Butt (oops, forgot the E......) mostly just for the drive. And I thought the people in West Virginia looked scary....... :eusa_whistle:

It does take a special kind of person to live in a lake community like that, but all I have encountered have sure been good people. They don't stand much on appearance or ceremony for sure though. :)

This is our tumbleweed snowman city workers build and position on I-40 here in Albuquerque every year. They need something to do with all the big tumbleweeds they have to dig out of the fences etc. this time of year:

-PAXP-deijE.gif

1. Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
    Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
    TK, and TK's grandma,
    Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
    Sherry’s Mom,
    Becki and Becki’s hubby,
    Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
    The Ringels in difficult transition,
    Mrs. BBD's knee,
    Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
    GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
    Noomi!!!
    Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
    Nosmo's mom,
    Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
    Mrs. Ringel's knee,
    Pogo's brother,
    Ernie's stop smoking project,
    Chris's new job,
    GW's new job,
    Gracie's fur friend Karma,
    All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

1. P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Happy Saturday! :huddle:

139578-Happy-Saturday-Have-A-Lovely-Day.jpg

Hey Chris, I know you are busier than a one-armed paper hanger these days, but what's going on? New job thing working out?

I only worked twice on my own so far, but it's pretty easy so far. It's mostly just answering the phone and directing calls to the proper departments. Occasionally you have to page someone, but I haven't had to do that yet. :) Thanks for asking!

It does take a special kind of person to live in a lake community like that, but all I have encountered have sure been good people. They don't stand much on appearance or ceremony for sure though. :)
I swear I heard duelin' banjos wafting across the air but it had a strange southwestern flavor to it........ :eusa_whistle:

Mornin' all. A serene morning chez boe, sipping cappuccino and doing three weeks' worth of laundry.

I find doing laundry to be rather cathartic.

Forum List

Back