USMB Coffee Shop IV

I remember one very cold spell when we lived in Alabama.....power was down, we had no heat except in the Fireplace, so we all slept in the den that night....the next day, everything was shut down, stayed home from work, so we had to keep the fire going and to keep from being totally bored, we played Uno with the kids over and over till I couldn't stand Uno for many years after that.....I finally got over it.

Years ago I hitched a ride to London (after living in France a while) and when my original lodging plans for that night fell through, I met up with a couple of hippie types who happened along. We went back to their flat where we stayed up for hours playing a great English game they taught me called "Blackjack" -- which has no relation to our "21" Blackjack, just another game where the black jack is significant....

Fast forward to a few years later and I started to see a commercial card game modeled exactly after this English Blackjack game. The commercial game was called "Uno".

English Blackjack is still a better game as it has one element that Uno doesn't --- if one particular card is thrown, all players have to hand their entire hand to the next player. This means if you had dribbled down to two or three cards, you could suddenly be stuck with thirteen. Plus, everybody now knows what the player after them is holding.

Before Uno came out I spread English Blackjack (as we started calling it) around friends. It was a hit.

That added feature could be a lot of fun, too. I wonder whether something like that could be incorporated into our Uno play?

The thing is -- you don't need a prefab "Uno" deck to play the game; a standard set of cards does the same thing. You just assign the special cards.

As I remember it, red king reverses direction, twos are additive penalties, etc. The card that causes everybody to give up their hand, I don't remember but just pick one (e.g. black jack). Makes the game a lot more interesting and unpredictable. And for more than four people use a double deck.

I'm sort of with BBD on this one. Unless the fish are going to be dinner, why fish? Catch and release, just to do it, seems sort of mean to the fish. But then I gave up fishing when I started feeling sorry for the poor fish. And then the minnow used for bait. And then the worm or cricket or whatever. . .so the fish from Albertson's taste pretty good properly seasoned and cooked. (That way somebody else has to be mean and not me. :))

What is meaner to the fish? Catching and releasing or catching and cooking?
I actually do both.
One means dead, one means alive.
Put yourself in the situation and decide if you are better off alive or dead.
I'm glad I am at the top of the food chain.

I never claimed to be rational about it, so logic is wasted on me on that subject. :)

How does one go about making a food item the official food for a Nation? I'm thinking that banana splits should be the official food of the USA. Think I will write my congress critter. I betcha he would enjoy getting some mail when nobody actually bitches about something.

New Mexico has an official state just about everything - state bird, state animal, state insect, state reptile, state tree, two state vegetables (pinto bean and chili pepper), and state question (red or green?) etc., but I don't think it has a state dessert. It does have a state cookie though: the bizcochito.

Ah, yes...but do you have an official state fossil? Alaska does.

Why yes we do. And this is it:

Fossil-Coelophysis.jpg

Coelophysis fossil skeleton; photo by Brian Smith on Flickr (noncommercial use permitted with attribution / share alike). See All State Fossils & Dinosaurs.

Alaska's state fossil is a big more impressive though I'll have to admit:

mammoth2web.jpg

Wooly Mammoth skeleton photo by John Kannenberg on Flickr - noncommercial use permitted with attribution / no derivative works. See All State Fossils.

Last edited:
New Mexico has an official state just about everything - state bird, state animal, state insect, state reptile, state tree, two state vegetables (pinto bean and chili pepper), and state question (red or green?) etc., but I don't think it has a state dessert. It does have a state cookie though: the bizcochito.

Ah, yes...but do you have an official state fossil? Alaska does.

Why yes we do. And this is it:

Fossil-Coelophysis.jpg

Coelophysis fossil skeleton; photo by Brian Smith on Flickr (noncommercial use permitted with attribution / share alike). See All State Fossils & Dinosaurs.

Cool! Ours is the wooly mammoth.

Ohio's Many Symbols Like most states,

Ohio has its share of symbols. The Buckeye was unofficially recognized as the state symbol as far back as the 1840s. It was officially recognized as the state symbol in 1953 with the Ohio legislature naming Aeschylus Lara (Buckeye Tree) as the official state tree. But did you know that Ohio also has a state beverage (Tomato Juice), a state bug (Ladybug), a state reptile (Black Racer), a state gemstone (Flint) and even a state fossil (Trilobite). - See more at: OHIO's Symbols

OHIO's Symbols

Ohio State Football Coach: Urban Meyer

Go Bucks! :)

Arizona's State Fossil is petrified wood.
Petrified wood (Araucarioxylon arizonicum) was designated the state fossil of Arizona in 1988. Petrified Forest National Park in northern Arizona has one of the world's largest and most colorful concentrations of petrified wood.

th

Arizona State Fossil - Petrified Wood

Went to see my Grand niece play baseball last night. Her team from the West side was playing my local girls team. I'm sure I'll be asked why I was on the wrong side of the field.....

Anyway they lost both games evn though Abby had 3 singles and 2 doubles and came in for 3 runs.

Did I mention she also struck out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin State Anthem...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ybRH3IyYA]Billy Joe Shaver "No Fool Like an Old Fool" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm sort of with BBD on this one. Unless the fish are going to be dinner, why fish? Catch and release, just to do it, seems sort of mean to the fish. But then I gave up fishing when I started feeling sorry for the poor fish. And then the minnow used for bait. And then the worm or cricket or whatever. . .so the fish from Albertson's taste pretty good properly seasoned and cooked. (That way somebody else has to be mean and not me. :))

What is meaner to the fish? Catching and releasing or catching and cooking?
I actually do both.
One means dead, one means alive.
Put yourself in the situation and decide if you are better off alive or dead.
I'm glad I am at the top of the food chain.

I never claimed to be rational about it, so logic is wasted on me on that subject. :)

Fish don't know the difference between mean and not mean.....some fish are meant to be enjoyed in a fish tank, and some on a plate.

Germany-Soccer.jpg

It's halftime of the Germany vs. Ghana soccer game for the WM.

Score: 0:0

Both teams are really, really good. The guys from Ghana are extremely fast, but the German defense is better and both goalies earned their keep in the first half.

The Germans haven't put Poldi (Lukas Poldowski) in the game yet - he is the "heavy hitter" for the "Deutsche 11" (the German 11).

I'm was watching from a back yard with some neighbors - we all chipped in for a wide-screen and made a big tent and are watching the game. Lots of Vuvuzelas going off.

On Thursday, I am gonna root for the USA, but today, it's good old Germany all the way!

So, back downstairs to catch the second half. Woot-woot!

vuvuzela.jpg

How does one go about making a food item the official food for a Nation? I'm thinking that banana splits should be the official food of the USA. Think I will write my congress critter. I betcha he would enjoy getting some mail when nobody actually bitches about something.
We could break it down even further at the city level. For instance, hamburgers are the official food of Hamburg, Germany. Come to think of it, citizens of Hamburg are referred to as Hamburgers. :D

My God, my God. Ghana is leading Germany 2-1. Have to hide the guns and knives. Mrs. Blood and son are going apeshit.

Endergebnis (End-Result): Germany 2 : Ghana 2

And one of the best games I have ever seen, in terms of strategy. As soon as Low (the coach) switched in Poldowski and Schweinsteiger and Özil was out, it was a whole new game.

But the guys from Ghana are really, really good.

It was a helluva game to watch!

Last edited:
We could break it down even further at the city level. For instance, hamburgers are the official food of Hamburg, Germany. Come to think of it, citizens of Hamburg are referred to as Hamburgers. :D

Jugs, you should go visit Frankfurt sometime. Expand your horizons. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back