USMB Coffee Shop IV

Someone dynamited the tunnel for me this morning. I worked a shift to cover a co-worker who had to attend family issues back East. While preparing to go home, the supervisor asked me whether I knew my partner would be working later, or not. Seems the partner fell off a ladder at his night job and was having x-rays done on his foot/ankle. He hadn't called me so I tried to call him and got no answer. Well, long story, short, it seems his 8 ft ladder fell out from under him, he landed on his feet and probably shattered his ankle. They did an MRI this afternoon and he has an appointment with his doctor tomorrow morning to find out the verdict. He cannot drive any of the manual trucks and the automatic transmission truck is in the shop. He's ensconced on my sofa, ankle crusted in ice, whining like a baby about how much it hurts. He's maxed out his pain meds and I will not let him have more. I've taken the night off from work to help him out.
Just when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, someone dynamites the thing...

Your frustration comes through loud and clear. He is blessed to have you as a friend.

This may be the last Thursday of my blindness! This time next week I'll have had the first of these damnable cataracts burned off my head..

I'm told that when one has two cataracts as I do and one of them is repaired, the brain relies on the newly repaired eye and compensates for the unrepaired one. I don't know that my brain is that limber, but come the 14th, the second lens will be replaced.

I'm asking them for x-ray specs as replacement lenses. I figure 'why not'? If I'm going from Mr. Magoo to the Bionic Man, I may as well take advantage.

xray_specs.jpg

Meanwhile I know that dust is building up inside Pimplebutt. I know that windows must be washed, flower beds tended to and the garage could stand a flamethrower to clear away the excess pasteboard box collection I have amassed since Christmas.

The benefit of partial blindness is a convenient excuse to let all those tasks slip by.

:). My cataract surgery was two weeks between surgeries. You get your eyesight back immediately when you first wake up from the surgery, and when you see how wonderful your eyesight is, you will be so eager to get the other one done. And it isn't really a problem between the surgeries--seems your body does compensate quite nicely. You do see a lot of stuff you were missing though. :)

Good morning everybody. As Save observed, April's Fool's day and a Friday. All we would need is a full moon for a perfect storm. :) Or is that a full moon on Friday 13th? Oh well, anyway hope everybody is having a good day.

A bit of trivia: Probably everybody knows that the game of golf originated in Scotland. It is said that the first historical reference to the game was when James II banned the game in l457 because it was distracting people from learning and practicing archery. And why 18 holes? Because that's about the number of shots in an Imperial Quart of Scotch Whiskey!

This may be the last Thursday of my blindness! This time next week I'll have had the first of these damnable cataracts burned off my head..

I'm told that when one has two cataracts as I do and one of them is repaired, the brain relies on the newly repaired eye and compensates for the unrepaired one. I don't know that my brain is that limber, but come the 14th, the second lens will be replaced.

I'm asking them for x-ray specs as replacement lenses. I figure 'why not'? If I'm going from Mr. Magoo to the Bionic Man, I may as well take advantage.

xray_specs.jpg

Meanwhile I know that dust is building up inside Pimplebutt. I know that windows must be washed, flower beds tended to and the garage could stand a flamethrower to clear away the excess pasteboard box collection I have amassed since Christmas.

The benefit of partial blindness is a convenient excuse to let all those tasks slip by.

:). My cataract surgery was two weeks between surgeries. You get your eyesight back immediately when you first wake up from the surgery, and when you see how wonderful your eyesight is, you will be so eager to get the other one done. And it isn't really a problem between the surgeries--seems your body does compensate quite nicely. You do see a lot of stuff you were missing though. :)
I sure hope so. Forsythias are a yellow fuzzy thing. Cherry blossoms look as if a wet snow has covered the branches. I gasp when suddenly there is a car approaching in the left lane. Billboards are big colorful rectangles without meaning. Spring training baseball on TV is a radio show featuring a big green expanse of grass.

I've been a burden to my fellow board gamers, asking "what does this card say" and what do those pieces mean".

When I walk in the park with Daisy the Mutt, I listen for her huffing as she runs to know what she's up to. She has compensated by running up behind me and throwing her front paws against the back of my knees to let me know she wants a treat.

Reading has been a missed pleasure and I find myself pulling the computer monitor up to my face to see what's on it.

Imagine wiring a pair of heavy bottomed shot glasses into eye glass frames. Coat the bottoms of the shot glasses with Vaseline petroleum jelly and put them up to your eyes. This is the best example of what my vision is like today.

Good morning everybody. As Save observed, April's Fool's day and a Friday. All we would need is a full moon for a perfect storm. :) Or is that a full moon on Friday 13th? Oh well, anyway hope everybody is having a good day.

A bit of trivia: Probably everybody knows that the game of golf originated in Scotland. It is said that the first historical reference to the game was when James II banned the game in l457 because it was distracting people from learning and practicing archery. And why 18 holes? Because that's about the number of shots in an Imperial Quart of Scotch Whiskey!
Downing a quart of Scotch during a round of golf seems a lot more probable than teaching Scotsmen to fire arrows.

acfeb894f38e7e0f940f6a706700ddf2.jpg

Idunno, looks photoshopped to me, maybe we should send it to the Conspiracy Theory folks......... :D

(I was having "fun" with them all yesterday).

Pavlof Volcano, it's about 700 miles from GW to the southwest.
Definitely not photoshopped, though. Reports say that folks in Cold Bay (30 miles west) were getting some great photos of the lava fountains that were estimated to be rocketing up to a half mile high.
I was having fun with it down in the FZ, the evil CIA was behind it all........ :eusa_whistle:

A friend who lives in Ruidoso, NM (about 3 hours south of us) posted this on Facebook this afternoon. This is a couple of days ago just behind Ruidoso high school. It is heart breaking because Ruidoso is just a beautiful little city in some of our most scenic terrain, and it has already been devastated by terrible fires in recent years. At this rate there won't much much there to look at any more.

12885966_459761927552025_5589157717821541326_o.jpg
Supposedly it burned back on itself and is only between 125 and 150 acres, at least it was the last I checked. Haven't heard anything yet today but I believe it's mostly contained

A friend who lives in Ruidoso, NM (about 3 hours south of us) posted this on Facebook this afternoon. This is a couple of days ago just behind Ruidoso high school. It is heart breaking because Ruidoso is just a beautiful little city in some of our most scenic terrain, and it has already been devastated by terrible fires in recent years. At this rate there won't much much there to look at any more.

12885966_459761927552025_5589157717821541326_o.jpg
Supposedly it burned back on itself and is only between 125 and 150 acres, at least it was the last I checked. Haven't heard anything yet today but I believe it's mostly contained

Yes, as I posted to GW yesterday, it is fully contained, and as of yesterday they were just watching to be sure hot spots didn't flare up. Could have been much worse.

Idunno, looks photoshopped to me, maybe we should send it to the Conspiracy Theory folks......... :D

Definitely not photoshopped, though. Reports say that folks in Cold Bay (30 miles west) were getting some great photos of the lava fountains that were estimated to be rocketing up to a half mile high.
I was having fun with it down in the FZ, the evil CIA was behind it all........ :eusa_whistle:

I wonder how many peeps you sent to the FZ to see what was going on with this post. :)

I wonder how many peeps you sent to the FZ to see what was going on with this post. :)
This is the first time I mentioned it outside of the FZ. :dunno:

I know, but a lot of folks who don't post here do read in here. Just speculating. :)

I know, but a lot of folks who don't post here do read in here. Just speculating. :)
I don't use the notification function, never wanted to and don't know how, don't like it when people use it on me. If I want to read something I'll find it. I was just explaining to GW why I posted the word "photoshopped".

I don't use the notification function, never wanted to and don't know how, don't like it when people use it on me. If I want to read something I'll find it. I was just explaining to GW why I posted the word "photoshopped".

You don't need a notification function just to read a post though. I just thought your post provocative and figured others would too. I normally avoid the FZ like the plague, but a post like yours could prod my curiosity enough just to go look. :)

I do keep the notification function on. Sometimes it just lets me know when somebody has clicked on 'thanks' or 'funny' or whatever on my posts and those I just note and otherwise don't click on. Especially when I see that it was one of our resident troll types who clicked on 'funny' on a serious post just to be contentious. Those are super easy to ignore. Once you open the alerts, you don't see them as 'new alerts' any more.

The one's that let me know somebody quoted my post though, I appreciate because I know to go look to see if I need to respond. Sometimes I get the alert because I had an old post in a whole string of nested quotes, and you can't know that until you click on the notification, but again if that is the case, no harm no foul. I do wish there was someway to adjust the software so that we didn't get the notifications just because an old post is nested in a whole string somewhere, but again it isn't that big a deal for me.

You don't need a notification function just to read a post though. I just thought your post provocative and figured others would too. I normally avoid the FZ like the plague, but a post like yours could prod my curiosity enough just to go look. :)

I do keep the notification function on. Sometimes it just lets me know when somebody has clicked on 'thanks' or 'funny' or whatever on my posts and those I just note and otherwise don't click on. Especially when I see that it was one of our resident troll types who clicked on 'funny' on a serious post just to be contentious. Those are super easy to ignore. Once you open the alerts, you don't see them as 'new alerts' any more.

The one's that let me know somebody quoted my post though, I appreciate because I know to go look to see if I need to respond. Sometimes I get the alert because I had an old post in a whole string of nested quotes, and you can't know that until you click on the notification, but again if that is the case, no harm no foul. I do wish there was someway to adjust the software so that we didn't get the notifications just because an old post is nested in a whole string somewhere, but again it isn't that big a deal for me.

I participate in some of the more "lighthearted" threads in the FZ, like music ones or ones I might find amusing. Most of the time when I read stuff there, I just shake my head. :D

Sorry, when I refer to the notification function I mean the @ function.
The FZ isn't what it used to be, it's actually a lot more lighthearted these days, who can come up with the best "cut down" competition and such. Oh sure there's still the angry ones who are there but they tend to get jumped on by everyone. For the most part it's just good old fashioned fun, the real (old style) FZ is found in the upper areas of the forum, Politics, Current Events, etc. I generally avoid those unless I'm feeling like pushing a few buttons and watching the fireworks........ :lol:

The FZ isn't what it used to be, it's actually a lot more lighthearted these days, who can come up with the best "cut down" competition and such. Oh sure there's still the angry ones who are there but they tend to get jumped on by everyone. For the most part it's just good old fashioned fun, the real (old style) FZ is found in the upper areas of the forum, Politics, Current Events, etc. I generally avoid those unless I'm feeling like pushing a few buttons and watching the fireworks........ :lol:

Children will be children! :D

Children will be children! :D
I never want to grow up........ :D

Forum List

Back