USMB Coffee Shop IV

He's only cranky when he doesn't get his way. He's a passive-aggressive controller, so not getting his way usually results in unpleasantness that casual observers might not recognize as aggressive behavior. He is a hoarder, though, and I have been spending a little time each work day at the house in town, picking up and bagging some unbelievable litter, trash, and garbage. The refrigerator was daunting and I still have to tackle the freezer. He had smoked salmon from 2003 in the 'fridge. Hell, ya never know when someone might drop by and you need a smoked salmon treat!
There's a Black Forest cake I made over three months ago that I found under a pile of other stuff. I'm not sure whether I want to try to salvage the cake carrier. It's a particularly nice one and might just clean up OK, after I dislodge the wreck of that cake...

I'd probably just throw it out and get a new one at this point. :)
It's pretty disgusting. I find myself throwing out a lot of things that would have otherwise survived had the partner given them a modicum of attention. This morning, I cleared the desktop. I must have thrown away close to 200 old batteries. He's convinced he can recharge the...indefinitely. I collected a box of tools and a box of hardware (which will require further sorting). I fared better than our buddy, who has taken on cleaning out the partner's truck. Moving the layer of tools into the basement was easy. Now he's tackled the layers, and layers, of detritus of all types. After he hit the layer that was wet and clumped together with old goat poo, he put on gloves, finished filling the trash bag he was working on and went home to boil his hands. Hoarders are horrible!!!

I would be afraid to go in there, I think. Lol.
Unfortunately, I am co-owner of the property and my partner being incapacitated gives me an opportunity to get in there and throw a lot of things out. Hoarders cannot bear to be separated from anything they might someday repair or use in some capacity. But they usually have such a pile of crap that if you get in, toss the crap, and get out, before they can figure out what you're tossing, they don't notice too much. I collected close to $25 in change today, just clearing off that desk. I haven't cracked into the sofa and loveseat yet!
Careful, for hoarders it's an emotional crutch. My wife's a lightweight hoarder and claims it's because she can trust things more than people. She's aware of her problem and we definitely work on it generally with mixed results. There are certain items in the house I've been slowly trying to get her to part with like her old Scan Furniture bed that's falling apart and her old pressed board file cabinet with broken rollers. We have no need of either one but she bristles at the suggestion. She still has boxes and boxes of books that need to go but even that's a process.
Heck I culled my DVDs a while ago, one full bookshelf full and I have a bookshelf left to go back through and recull. All but maybe 10 books in my library have been sold or donated, the only one's I'm keeping are limited prints, rare and/or very old. Most of my clothes that no longer fit are gone, she still has boxes of clothing way to small for her any longer but hey, she just might get back into them......... someday........

We aren't quite hoarders yet....none of the furniture is buried and the eclectic stacks are limited to two or three in out of the way corners. I do clean out the fridge ever now and then. But we are definitely pack rats with all storage full, not necessarily with useful items. I am doing my best to cull and donate or discard as much as possible but it is a slow process. It is difficult to part with things you have a gut feeling you may need, but know there is no real justification to keep. And after so long of sorting and culling, I find myself stopping making decisions. And suffering the yo yo syndrome re weight for most of my adult life, I can sympathise with having several sizes of clothing stashed in closets.

So on behalf of my fellow pack rats, I request patience. Declutterfying is good for the soul, but none of us became saints in a day I think. :)

I'm the opposite. My mindset is....if it won't fit in a tipi, I don't need it. MrG on the other hand, hoards tools. Oodles and oodles of tools. Shitloads of tools. I keep asking him why he needs 5 hammers, 10 pliers, 5 electric saws, 10 ladders, etc etc etc. His answer" If one breaks....".
Um. Ok.

Turning in early tonight as starting a late movie and probably won't make it back on line tonight. I was happy to see that I had put Nosmo's eye procedures on the list after all--I'm more efficient than I thought.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
Sherry’s Mom,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. And Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Gracie's eye surgery and stop smoking project,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Lake Hillier in western Australia. It is this color pink year round, but the reason why remains a scientific mystery.
upload_2016-4-16_20-52-40.png

It's pretty disgusting. I find myself throwing out a lot of things that would have otherwise survived had the partner given them a modicum of attention. This morning, I cleared the desktop. I must have thrown away close to 200 old batteries. He's convinced he can recharge the...indefinitely. I collected a box of tools and a box of hardware (which will require further sorting). I fared better than our buddy, who has taken on cleaning out the partner's truck. Moving the layer of tools into the basement was easy. Now he's tackled the layers, and layers, of detritus of all types. After he hit the layer that was wet and clumped together with old goat poo, he put on gloves, finished filling the trash bag he was working on and went home to boil his hands. Hoarders are horrible!!!

Unfortunately, I am co-owner of the property and my partner being incapacitated gives me an opportunity to get in there and throw a lot of things out. Hoarders cannot bear to be separated from anything they might someday repair or use in some capacity. But they usually have such a pile of crap that if you get in, toss the crap, and get out, before they can figure out what you're tossing, they don't notice too much. I collected close to $25 in change today, just clearing off that desk. I haven't cracked into the sofa and loveseat yet!
Careful, for hoarders it's an emotional crutch. My wife's a lightweight hoarder and claims it's because she can trust things more than people. She's aware of her problem and we definitely work on it generally with mixed results. There are certain items in the house I've been slowly trying to get her to part with like her old Scan Furniture bed that's falling apart and her old pressed board file cabinet with broken rollers. We have no need of either one but she bristles at the suggestion. She still has boxes and boxes of books that need to go but even that's a process.
Heck I culled my DVDs a while ago, one full bookshelf full and I have a bookshelf left to go back through and recull. All but maybe 10 books in my library have been sold or donated, the only one's I'm keeping are limited prints, rare and/or very old. Most of my clothes that no longer fit are gone, she still has boxes of clothing way to small for her any longer but hey, she just might get back into them......... someday........

We aren't quite hoarders yet....none of the furniture is buried and the eclectic stacks are limited to two or three in out of the way corners. I do clean out the fridge ever now and then. But we are definitely pack rats with all storage full, not necessarily with useful items. I am doing my best to cull and donate or discard as much as possible but it is a slow process. It is difficult to part with things you have a gut feeling you may need, but know there is no real justification to keep. And after so long of sorting and culling, I find myself stopping making decisions. And suffering the yo yo syndrome re weight for most of my adult life, I can sympathise with having several sizes of clothing stashed in closets.

So on behalf of my fellow pack rats, I request patience. Declutterfying is good for the soul, but none of us became saints in a day I think. :)
I'm a bit of a pack rat myself and years ago with both of us "collecting" stuff I decided it was time for me to set an example and that's what I did. Basically I got to the point where if I hadn't used it in 6 months it was sold or donated, made a couple o hundred bucks doing that. Not long after that she started culling her stuff just never to the degree I did. I started culling again after we arrived here and to her credit she's done some culling also.

I'm a bit of a pack rat myself and years ago with both of us "collecting" stuff I decided it was time for me to set an example and that's what I did. Basically I got to the point where if I hadn't used it in 6 months it was sold or donated, made a couple o hundred bucks doing that. Not long after that she started culling her stuff just never to the degree I did. I started culling again after we arrived here and to her credit she's done some culling also.

Sounds like you have truly found your culling. :eusa_shifty:

I got an email a bit ago from the ex roomie. I wanted to share, cuz I miss him so much. He is up in Kings Canyon for 6 months, training a crew of 17 youngsters in the forestry biz. He said he ran across some bear poo, but no bear although the other higher ups told him there are A LOT of bear up there. I told him the same thing..and cougar too.
He does not look thrilled, lol. He didn't want to go, but....we talked about it and I said he had to....he has been with the CCC for 5 years now, and this is just another rung up the ladder and to consider it an unexpected adventure...with 17 dwarves to train. :lol:

Kings Canyon National Park

Where they sent him ^

2uesl5i.jpg

Sounds like you have truly found your culling. :eusa_shifty:
Bad pun, bad pun...... :lol:

My 24'x36' garage is full of "stuff". There is a usable love seat in there some lumber and my wood working tools, but most of the space is filled by spare chairs (32, I believe) and tables (6) from the bar.
I even built a 8' x 12' loft that now holds camping equipment and a half tom of books.
The bar chairs and tables will eventually move to my partner's 30' x 40' out building if we ever get siding and a roof on it and maybe I'll be able to get a vehicle in there and my shop set up so I can actually use my tools.

My 24'x36' garage is full of "stuff". There is a usable love seat in there some lumber and my wood working tools, but most of the space is filled by spare chairs (32, I believe) and tables (6) from the bar.
I even built a 8' x 12' loft that now holds camping equipment and a half tom of books.
The bar chairs and tables will eventually move to my partner's 30' x 40' out building if we ever get siding and a roof on it and maybe I'll be able to get a vehicle in there and my shop set up so I can actually use my tools.

I guess we are lucky that we can still get both cars into our normal size two-car garage, but that is just barely. Lots and lots of stuff in there stacked to the ceiling along all three walls. And of course most of it we would never miss if it just magically poofed. But again it is so hard making those decisions.

I've "lost" the clothes that no longer fit, with few exceptions. Some of my German ethnic stuff remains. I suppose if I continue to lose weight, I'll fit again, and I'd like my granddaughters to enjoy the rarity of such things. Things that I know I could mend (Yes, I know how to darn socks), I still toss. I haven't the time right now to attend such things and may eventually regret that. I'll keep the darning egg and yarn, though. The partner has junk that has rusted or deteriorate beyond salvage and it needs to go away. I did let him keep the tailgate from the 2012 Dodge that we recently had replaced. He wants to repair it so we have a replacement. I suspect that will also eventually go away. Of course, even though I forbade stowage of non-operational automobiles on the property, there's still an S10 with alders growing through the frame that I will have to have hauled out of there. Who knows when one will be able to use those parts? My partner is a hard-core, out-of-control hoarder. If intervention is not provided, he will eventually die when a pile of crap falls on him.

He hoards crap?!? :ack-1:

If you have ever seen the series "Hoarders", that's what makes them hoarders. They hoard crap.

Went for a drive yesterday, up to Fort Stanton where every third Saturday of the month they do a living history. Met a few more people made some contacts, jackjawed for a while and was invited to join the group. Eh, we'll see.
On the way back I saw this and busted out laughing. Personally I would have changed my name........

Logo-1.jpg

I guess we are lucky that we can still get both cars into our normal size two-car garage, but that is just barely. Lots and lots of stuff in there stacked to the ceiling along all three walls. And of course most of it we would never miss if it just magically poofed. But again it is so hard making those decisions.
My sister in law is a hoarder. I made her clean it all up when they moved here some time back (they are gone now). She kept telling me how important and precious things were. I said "if it's so precious and important, why is it in a box in a shed/garage?"

Good morning everybody. Still intermittent clouds here, a sprinkle now and then, and chilly. Snow on the mountain pretty far down for this time of year, so feels and looks more like mid spring is supposed to look and feel. Summer will return later in the week though. Taxes are done and emailed, so glad that's over with for another year. Now deciding what or if I want to do that is productive today.

71 and sunny in Foley at 10 AM. We should top out about 74. It will be 79 tomorrow, and from that point forward, we likely won't see highs below 80 until October.

I just got a call from my Cousin that my Mom passed away this morning.
She was 90 so she had a real good and long life.
I am in shock because I called her Sat. morning and she was doing well.
Then she called me Sat. evening wanting to know if I called her because she could not get to the phone in time.
She sounded very good.
My cousin said the senior home where she was staying at, told him she got up and got dressed and then went to breakfast and then went back to her apartment and went to sleep and never woke up.
She was a good woman and very kind so the lord was very good to her.
Not many go this peacefully.

I just got a call from my Cousin that my Mom passed away this morning.
She was 90 so she had a real good and long life.
I am in shock because I called her Sat. morning and she was doing well.
Then she called me Sat. evening wanting to know if I called her because she could not get to the phone in time.
She sounded very good.
My cousin said the senior home where she was staying at, told him she got up and got dressed and then went to breakfast and then went back to her apartment and went to sleep and never woke up.
She was a good woman and very kind so the lord was very good to her.
Not many go this peacefully.

So sorry Peach. It is so hard to say goodbye, and my prayers are with you and your family. I have lost loved ones suddenly like that--the way most of us hope to go instead of lingering for days, weeks, months, years with little or no quality of life. We know that is a good thing, but it doesn't blunt our grief or soften the loss.

Forum List

Back