USMB Coffee Shop IV

My wife and I are looking forward to about 20 hours of kid free time when they go to bio dad's for an overnight. Then we're all going on an overnight together. Lots of pool time for the kids, dinner out, (compliments of a dear friend, as an adoption present), movie and shopping. Big city stuff.

It's raining now, and we've had a good amount of rain this winter. Still a drought but a much safer year all around.

Love and blessings to all,

Dhara

Have fun!

Happy Friday everyone! I have big plans in the kitchen today. I got all the trappings for canning and a very sexy dinner. I love being in the kitchen all day! Cheers!

Good morning all. And you still can stuff mdk? Is your garden already producing? Used to the grocery stores etc. all had huge displays of Mason jars and other canning supplies but you don't see them so much anymore. What do you put up?

Indeed. I love it. My garden is in the very early stages, but I stopped at a local farm and purchased a bunch of pickling cucumbers/veggies. I am canning pickles, hot gardenia, and, stuffed hot pepper with sauerkraut.

Mmmm okay. I use pickles quite a bit, but don't think I have any recipes calling for hot gardenia and I'm sure stuffed hot pepper with sauerkraut is an acquired taste? I do admire your ambition.
Sauerkraut's an acquired taste.......

I like it.
I used to make kielbasa & kraut for my WWII unit, Polish style. It was made with apples and brown sugar so it was slightly sweet, that wasn't bad.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Yesterday was warm, got up to the 80s with little to no breeze so it got pretty warm in the house even with the fans all going. Went to bed at 4am and slept under the sheet only. Today's supposed to get up to the upper 80s again but we have a nice strong breeze so it's keeping it nice in the house.
Put in a service order to have the HVAC company turn on the swamp coolers (connect the water supply and open the vent feeds) and summerize the furnaces.

Happy Friday everyone! I have big plans in the kitchen today. I got all the trappings for canning and a very sexy dinner. I love being in the kitchen all day! Cheers!
Right now I would love spending 3 or 4 days in bed....... sleeping.......

(So no, that wasn't a pickup line.......) :D

I am not saying this is a rural area, but there was a two state car chase that ended up in a county swamp. Mobile meth lab.

image.jpeg

Good morning all. And you still can stuff mdk? Is your garden already producing? Used to the grocery stores etc. all had huge displays of Mason jars and other canning supplies but you don't see them so much anymore. What do you put up?

Indeed. I love it. My garden is in the very early stages, but I stopped at a local farm and purchased a bunch of pickling cucumbers/veggies. I am canning pickles, hot gardenia, and, stuffed hot pepper with sauerkraut.

Mmmm okay. I use pickles quite a bit, but don't think I have any recipes calling for hot gardenia and I'm sure stuffed hot pepper with sauerkraut is an acquired taste? I do admire your ambition.

I like it.
I used to make kielbasa & kraut for my WWII unit, Polish style. It was made with apples and brown sugar so it was slightly sweet, that wasn't bad.

I like to make it with smoked sausage...let it simmer quite a while...

I like it.

I like to make it with smoked sausage...let it simmer quite a while...
Done that too, let it simmer on low all day long.

I am so glad I have the night off. I am absolutely exhausted.

Winner on your night off. Not on being exhausted. But I recommend you do something for Chris tonight--something that regenerates your soul and makes you happy--before hitting the sack. Have you seen the new Disney movie, "Cinderella?" That does it for me. :)

Not a fan of the old sauerkraut. My grampy used to make it all the time, and he loved it. He also liked sardines. :cheeky-smiley-018:

LOL. We used to joke that the sauerkraut fans also snacked on sardines with crackers. But blessedly they never cooked them together.

Another joke was that if house guests stayed too long, you gave them a meal of wieners and sauerkraut and that usually solved the problem.

My main place is in Willow but circumstances have put my goat herd on Birchwood until I can make sure they will be adequately sheltered in Willow. I also own a place in Anchorage where my partner usually stays. Anchor Point is a nice place, I've been fishing and clamming from there. Why not live here? When would you prefer visiting?

Well, because as beautiful as it is there (and it surely is), I am more a warm weather southern gal. :D

I would love to go back and see how the areas I knew have changed. Definitely. Liks Anchor Point, Homer..
You would be shocked at the changes. Sometimes when I am driving through Anchorage, I recall what was where and what is there now. Wasilla, Palmer, all the smaller, more "Alaskan" places have changed so much. It's kind of sad, we lose so much of that which makes Alaska "Alaskan".

Same here. I am in a Facebook group of "You Know You're From Santa Fe if. . . ." and we often discuss how Santa Fe and New Mexico used to be compared to now. Santa Fe especially. The La Fonda Hotel in downtown Santa Fe is one of the most iconic historical landmark buildings in New Mexico with a rich history spanning centuries. And though it has an upscale classy and expensive feel, it has always sported the local traditional muted gaudy decor that made it unmistakably historical New Mexico. Well, the La Fonda recently remodeled the bar and all the territorial decor is gone. It looks like any bar would look in Denver or New York City with absolutely nothing to reflect its rich history. And to me that is really sad.
Same thing goes on here, too. I think the true downfall of Alaska is the invasion of the big-box stores. For a long time, no K-Mart, Walmart, or other such stores. Now, Anchorage has both Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's. Sadly, as soon as the big, international purveyors of cheap junk arrive and open their doors, many of the smaller, mom-an-pop shops that had a special local "flavor" disappear.
I confess, I haven't been to Anchor Point in a long time. It's too far away and I still have daily duties with the critters. Palmer has taken up a lot of the overflow inhabitants who could no longer afford to live in Anchorage, where real estate prices and property taxes have taken off these last few years.

We have a Bass Pro Shops here too. I like going there. They have all kinds of cool things and there is a nature trail out back, and they have a couple of huge fish tanks with bass and stuff. Also, there is a giant stuffed grizzly bear. Awesome. :)
The tanks here feature trout and salmon. I suppose indigenous species are preferred. Both Bass Pro and Cabela's have the most amazing wildlife dioramas. I think Cabelas has a Beluga whale on display, too. I like going to both, although Cabelas is off my beaten path, requiring a drive to South Anchorage.

Whew! A long day now passed. Up at 0500 to hustle the partner to get ready to go to the surgery for his ankle. I didn't notice until we were already on the road that he hadn't brushed his teeth. At least I got him to wash his hair yesterday. He made it through surgery and was ready for pickup shortly after noon. Of course, I was ecstatic to have dragged the first load of nastiness from his place to the dump. The secret to clearing out a hoarder's hoard is to do it when they cannot see what you are doing. Since they seldom know exactly what they have, or where they have it, it's difficult for them to determine what they are missing. I found two revolvers in his place. He knew where one was, but had lost track of the second one. I have now safeguarded both.

Yikes. Sounds like this guy might need some help.
Oh, he does. But he does not acknowledge his problems and therefore does not need help. He doesn't have many friends. I guess I'm a sucker for a "helpless" stray. At least he's learning to say "Thank You".

People cannot believe how sauerkraut is made. Just salt and cabbage!? Really?:eek-52:

I like it.
i
I use sautéed onions, apples and cardamom in my sauerkraut. Also sweetens it up. Then I usually cook either pork chops or brats in the sauerkraut. Served with German-style potato salad...perfect!

Well, I've been proving to the partner that I am not some lazy drunk, doing nothing all day between work, and work. I've started a batch of yoghurt and some feta cheese. I've baked a couple dozen banana nut muffins to take to work, and I'm getting ready to go take care of the critters. Now that he's restricted to "foot elevated", and no load-bearing on his broken ankle, he's forced to observe how I spend my days when he isn't "supervising".
The place smells great, though. Cooking breakfast and baking always makes it smell marvelous around here.

Forum List

Back